HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

View Poll Results: ...DESCRIBE EXCESSIVE BRAKING...
TAPPING THE BRAKE 0 0%
PUMPING THE BRAKE 0 0%
RIDING THE BRAKE 5 7.58%
MASHING THE BRAKE TO SCRUB 10 MPH & A .10 OR 2 62 93.94%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2007, 09:27 PM   #11
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Default Re: ...excessive Braking Is Interesting..

Jason, Wondering why you guys never run any big dollar bracket races around here ? (the $10000 races @ Sanair or Luskville ?)
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:42 PM   #12
Jason Kenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey Tim. After running at some of the tracks down in the States, it's hard to race up here. Grand Bend is nice, our schedule just never worked this year. We have a lot of fun with the NHRA throttle stop stuff, and try to hit bracket races in Florida or at Atco whenever possible.

Sanair ... my knees go through the dashboard at the finish line, and that was with a 4-link dragster. So when I try to kill 20 mph by stabbing the brakes as hard as possible, it gets dangerous when wheels are off the ground. Plus, the only french I can remember is "J'aime le pizza."
Jason Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 09:53 PM   #13
bob gonier

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I dont want to sound like an azz but its really about the driver and the car set-up. Way to many cars are maintained and driven by incompetent people. Brakes are very important items and I think more attention should be paid to them than that last .010 in ET. I can easily go 130+ in my bracket car and SAFELY scrub 10+mph and .035 with no safety concerns what so ever. If you need more than that you need to rethink your plan of attack............

JMO of course....

bob
bob gonier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 11:48 PM   #14
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Kenny View Post
With a 1900lb dragster, I have seen data (forget the drivers name) that shows when you dump 26 mph in the right lane of the Super Comp finals at the 2007 Belle Rose Sportsnationals, it's about 9 hundredths.

That's strictly on the top end ... no screwing around before 1100'.

http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCSt...r2007#indextop
That sounds about right. My calculations were that you had to scrub 20 mph over the last 130 ft. to scrub a tenth. So, if you can scrub 26 mph over a slightly shorter distance, say about 90 ft., you would scrub about a tenth.

All that said, I think doing so you're starting to approach the danger area.

Bob, I don't think anyone on here would have an issue with somebody scrubbing 10 mph and a few hundredths. It's the examples like above that I generally don't care for. But, even then, I can't put a specific number on it. If somebody timed the parachute right and hit the brakes simultaneously 120 ft. before the finish line, I'm guessing they could scrub a good amount of speed, and, more importantly, do it safely.

All I know is that you'll never catch me pounding the brakes at the finish line. Hitting them, sure. But pounding them? Nope...it's just not worth it to me.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:50 PM   #15
sc1153

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via AIM to sc1153

Only in my opinion, If there is smoke or the car goes sideways it is excessive. I am not innocent of this and was expecting an excessive braking warning many times. After it scares you then you will figure out another game plan. I found that easing into the brake instead of mashing the brakes actually kills more speed and ET. With dual rear calipers I can kill just as much with my foot in the throttle as I can lifting and mashing.

EXCESSIVE BRAKING.......we are all guilty at least once!
sc1153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2007, 11:08 PM   #16
Jason Kenny

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Jason,

It was more than 120 feet from the finish line. He just dumped way too early. I don't think Dad or I could kill 26 mph in 120 feet. Maybe I am completely wrong, but I will probably never find out ..... unless I am running Ernie.
Jason Kenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 01:02 PM   #17
CBS
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts

I hardly got into the brakes against Chris on Sunday.......(sorry about that).....

The ultimate combination would be Ernies car and Jason (or Al) driving....unstoppable....

I couldn't shut up any longer...sorry

CBS
CBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 06:26 PM   #18
FOR REAL

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I don't even have any brakes and I am ready to jump through the computer screen. We have Jason K. who races 40 times a year and Jason O. who sits home with a calculator giving us info. Guess who I'm going with?

Asta
FOR REAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 06:41 PM   #19
thumbprint

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to thumbprint
Cool Re: ...excessive Braking Is Interesting..

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOR REAL View Post
I don't even have any brakes and I am ready to jump through the computer screen. We have Jason K. who races 40 times a year and Jason O. who sits home with a calculator giving us info. Guess who I'm going with?

Asta
LMAO, Your a bad man. I know that you could'nt hold back anymore.
thumbprint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 11:28 AM   #20
Jason Oldfield

Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jason Oldfield Send a message via MSN to Jason Oldfield Send a message via Yahoo to Jason Oldfield

Quote:
Originally Posted by FOR REAL View Post

Asta
Of course, this is coming from the guy that wasn't quite smart enough to check his brake system after he was fined for depositing brake fluid on the track.

Oh to be rich and ignorant...