HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-28-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Everybody Who Tows a Trailer Should Read This

Just found this on the NJ Dept of Motor Vehicles Website: Look at exemptions on the bottom:

Getting your CDL
RELATED LINKSBasic driver license6 Point ID VerificationMedical Examination Report [pdf] P-endorsement fingerprint application [pdf] To get your CDL you must meet the following qualifications:
Be at least 18 years old
Have a basic New Jersey driver license (Class D)
Have 20/40 vision in each eye (with or without glasses)
Be able to recognize red, green and amber colors
Be physically fit*
* Federal law requires commercial drivers to carry a medical examiner's fitness statement at all times and renew it every two years. Download the Medical Examination Report [60k pdf] before your appointment.

Application process
Visit your local MVC Agency
Pass the 6 Point ID Verification
Pay $35 permit fee. For your convenience, MVC Agencies accept American Express® card, MasterCard® card, Visa® card, checks, money orders and cash
You will receive your permit, a physical examination form and a fingerprint card from MVC, which will need to be completed
Apply for an endorsement
Take the CDL knowledge test and the CDL road test (Note: Class C licenses do not require a road test). Study ahead by reading the CDL Manual

Restrictions
CDL applicants under 21 years old may only travel within New Jersey and may not receive HAZMAT or passenger endorsements.

Exemptions
The following do not need a CDL for their purpose:

Taxi drivers (carrying less than eight passengers) and ride-sharing van drivers
Firefighters
Operators of rescue or first-aid squad vehicles
Farmers hauling their own products and equipment within 150 miles of their farms
Non-civilian operators of military equipment
Operators of construction equipment not designed for operation on public roads
Operators of recreational vehicles, provided the vehicle is being operated only for personal use

Commission: Locations | Vehicles | Licenses | Violations | Inspections | Commercial | About MVC | Contact Us
Statewide: NJ home | Services A to Z | Departments/Agencies | FAQ's | Privacy Notice | Legal Statement | Accessibility

Copyright © State of New Jersey, 2007
New Jersey Motor Vehicle Commission
P.O. Box 160
Trenton, NJ 08666
(609) 292-6500 or toll free in NJ (888) 486-3339
TTY (609) 292-5120
Contact Us

Last Updated: July 17, 2008
SG1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 09:27 PM   #22
wsmracing
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

the only bad thing is that we're not commercial.......so it works in jersey........cross the state line, new state, new rules...............commercial fall under federal interstate transit vs. intrastate transit.........then it becomes simple...THE FEDERAL MOTOR CARRIER SAFETY REGULATIONS TAKE OVER...........& THEN OPENS ANOTHER CAN OF WORMS........WE SHOULD BE CONSIDERED A CHARITABLE ORGANIZATION OF DRAG RACERS.........WE CONSTANTLY DONATE TO NHRA & IHRA...........& YES WE DO IT FOR THE "WALLY" BUT WHEN THEY PAY YOU ROUND MONEY THAT GENERATES A 1099 FORM...SO WE'RE SCREWED NO MATTTER WHAT...
wsmracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2008, 10:31 PM   #23
JRyan

Liked 104 Times in 28 Posts

NO! We're NOT SCREWED. The Federal exemption, as Jeff Teuton has pointed out many times, allows for even COMMERCIAL VEHICLES to be used in non-commercial endeavors such as racing. The exemption basically states that INCOME must be declared as ORDINARY INCOME on your income tax, and you cannot claim EXPENSES to offset that income.

MOST HP's are mis-informed. We had a meeting at the State Capitol several years ago and covered this very thing. None of the HP's were aware of the exemption. We were getting nowhere until I got ahold of a State Senator who 12 years prior had been HEAD of the SD Highway Patrol. He laid it out for them, and that was the end of it. I've since been stopped several times while towing for other things here in SD, and all the patrolman have been more than polite and most even ask about the race car and racing.

Other States? Another story. In South Dakota, our dually pulling an enclosed is not required to have ANY tonnage stickers or plates. In fact, it is ILLEGAL for the State to sell us tonnage plates unless we ARE a commercial vehicle. We're lucky. In interstate travels, Federal laws apply, and we only have to meet OUR STATES licensing requirements. Unfortunately, most law officers don't like to be told that they don't know the law, so sometimes even if you're right, you're in for a long delay.

Jerry
JRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 04:42 PM   #24
H.A.A.C. Racing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Just a curious question..........Is everyone worried about getting a ticket from the highway to the track, or just getting one on the highway? I heard that it is a very short distance from the highway to the new track in NC. I can't believe with the amount of people coming in, that there will be cops handing out tickets on the streets getting to the track............as long as no one is doing anything stupid.
H.A.A.C. Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 05:43 PM   #25
SG1809

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by H.A.A.C. Racing View Post
Just a curious question..........Is everyone worried about getting a ticket from the highway to the track, or just getting one on the highway? I heard that it is a very short distance from the highway to the new track in NC. I can't believe with the amount of people coming in, that there will be cops handing out tickets on the streets getting to the track............as long as no one is doing anything stupid.

From what I gathered it's not just the track in NC but in PA, NY,NJ and other places. One of the guys in Division 1 got stopped on the PA Tpke. going to Maple Grove.

Pat
SG1809
SG1809 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2008, 10:19 PM   #26
wsmracing
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To me i guess its a little of both, either way , i'm not looking to get a ticket ....on the big road or little road................just not looking to donate to the state of north carolina......
wsmracing is offline   Reply With Quote