HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 12-15-2009, 02:57 PM   #1

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default What does it take to be be competitive in .90 racing?

How much under the .90 standard does your car have to run off the stop to realistically be competitive racing in the super classes?
I know this is a matter opinion, and everybody probably has an opinion on this so lets hear it!
3258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:16 PM   #2
roseracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What does it take to be be competitive in .90 racing?

We have been running 2 cars in the super classes the last 10 years.

My dads Super Gas car can run 1.50 seconds under the 9.90 index and it's rather easy to dial. Easy to figure out the ratio and barely have to change numbers for the weather conditions.

My Super Street car can only run .30 under the 10.90 index and it's a pain in the rear. Still haven't figured out the right ratio and putting 25 numbers in doesn't affect it much at all, so I have to change a lot of numbers.

On the other hand, I have a friend that ran a car in Super Street that would run AT LEAST 2.00 under the 10.90 index. Although, he won a National Event in Super Street, he moved up to Super Gas and won 2 divisional races and said it was way easier to tune because he didn't have so much time in the box.

So, my suggestion is to have a car that can run under the index by at least 1.25 to 1.75 seconds.
roseracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 05:38 PM   #3
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts

I've found that unless you run .70 to 1.00 under, it's difficult to maintain a consistant ratio. My car is about 1.8 to 2.0 under and it is very dialable. ... .............Years back,when I could only run .30 to .40 under, I had a tunnel ram setup just in case the air got really bad. .........with the economey the way it is ,run as fast as you can afford. .......I've seen some very sucessful .90 cars that just barely run the number, they just have to work harder at it...........Tom
Old 12-15-2009, 06:28 PM   #4
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3258 View Post
How much under the .90 standard does your car have to run off the stop to realistically be competitive racing in the super classes?
I know this is a matter opinion, and everybody probably has an opinion on this so lets hear it!
Don't matter, run 90 and cut a lite.
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wink Re: What does it take to be be competitive in .90 racing?

Well I had cars that run about 0.1 under and could adjust them with ballast but if it 's a hot day or slipery track I was S.O.L. previously I was 0.5 under and the car was reasonably dialable I 'm currently >1.00 under and shifting on time and it's deadly consistent and very dial able.
Consider this, the better your car runs on the big end the gentler it is on the first half and the less likely it is to spin the tires. I had a guy I was racing against and he was running >180 MPH and was deadly consistent even on marginal race tracks and I was dumbfounded on how he could get down a very marginal track consistently when I could not? I was fortunate enought to make a time trial with him and got to see his numbers on the time slip and discovered that in 60' and all of the incrementals up to the eight mile his car was very slow but from the eight to the finish line he was flying. and that's why he was hitting the number while I was sliping and sliding around.
So to some extent the further under the better! The car will be genteler and you will almost always have your oponent in sight.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 12-15-2009 at 06:40 PM.
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #6
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I think you need to be able to at least run .50 under. You need to be able to "settle" on the stop for at least a moment to be consistent.

But there are a ton of people who will tell you that MPH at the top end will make a lot of difference with the end game. That means HP. And that usually means a lot more than .50 under when run wide open.
Old 12-17-2009, 10:42 AM   #7
sst7250

Liked 36 Times in 26 Posts

What does it take to be competitive..Simple answer cut a light and run the number, really that simple It really does not matter if you go 118 or 155 if you can do that you will be competitive.

I am sure that I am doing it wrong. Also I am fairly new to doing this stuff, only this past year trying to actually compete on the divisional level. My junk will run right at 3.0 seconds under all out. I was told it woudl be very hard to dial and we have not found that to eb the case. I am on the stop for a LONG time. Last time out we were at 4.98 and I go on the stop at the release of the trans brake. I need to find a way to kill it a bit more to try and gain some MPH back but for now it seems to work as we run it. I am loosing 15-16+- MPH on the stop from my all out passes. I still go 154-155 on it at 10.90...Last divisional we runner upped, so it seems to be working.

Last edited by sst7250; 12-17-2009 at 11:07 AM.
sst7250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 02:01 PM   #8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks for all the feedback.
sst7250, if you are running 3.0 under off the stop, why do you not run S/G ?
3258 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
GaryGoFast

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talking Re: What does it take to be be competitive in .90 racing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3258 View Post
Thanks for all the feedback.
sst7250, if you are running 3.0 under off the stop, why do you not run S/G ?
IMO, biggest dif is the tree, most backhalves have issues hitting the .370 s/g tree. Being fast doesnt make the car hit the tree better but it will def keep the race in front of you where I like it to be. My car also runs 3 seconds better off the stop and I can hit the tree, I just cant handle how S/G is treated in D1.
Old 12-17-2009, 04:39 PM   #10
Bryan Gillespie
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Don't get me started.Gary
Bryan Gillespie is offline   Reply With Quote