HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-11-2007, 09:41 PM   #11
Mickey Whaley
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Question Re: Richardson Barone, winner of the U.S. Nationals ? (Redirected. May affect every

Looks like the only thing that was distorted was the win light in the wrong lane. Looks like the steve johnson pro stock bike final the other year.
Mickey Whaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2007, 09:54 PM   #12
Rick4310

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Richardson Barone, winner of the U.S. Nationals ? (Redirected. May affect every

I have it on TIvo and you can only move it so slow, it is the same as in the photo shown..
Rick4310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:13 PM   #13
Geddes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Richardson Barone, winner of the U.S. Nationals ? (Redirected. May affect every

Guys,

Remember, we are really racing 1317.5 feet ( or so, depending on which body style you have) with beams 7 to 8 inches high at the stripe.

The tire starts the clock and the body/facia stops the clock.

??What was the reason for raising the beams at the stripe and when did if officially change?
Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:20 PM   #14
Jim Parsons

Liked 130 Times in 25 Posts

This is a good example in my opinion why NHRA should catch up with the rest of the racing world and go with electronic transmitters on each car i.e., NASCAR, F-1, Indy car SCCA and even Go Karts. These little transmitters are relatively cheap, about the size of a pack of cigarettes and project down onto a scoring wire laid in the track. Their accuracy is excellent as seen by the July 4 th. race at Daytona and you could do away with all those ancient photo-reflectors used now. It would also eliminate all the finish line issues with paper blowing across the track, dipping games played by cars with low front spoilers etc. Its a shame someone looses because of 1960?s technology.

Jim Parsons
Jim Parsons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 04:46 PM   #15
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

>> with beams 7 to 8 inches high at the stripe.

I believe at least the IHRA spec for the finish line beam (and all incrementals, except for the 60') is 5-5/8". I would assume NHRA is the same, or very close.
Old 09-12-2007, 05:51 PM   #16
Michael Lyons

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I'd say that more than likely Mr Richardson was ahead in this photo but wasn't at the stripe. In the 5th round his speed was 166, so I'd say in the interest of saving index he pedaled to tighten it up and gave it back. And maybe because of the bobbing front end the front of that street roadster missed the beam and tripped with the front wheels and Jasons nose was ahead at the stripe. Just a theory but his speed is off 4 mph, why? And who's to say his 166 in the semi was wide open. Tough way to lose the U.S. Nationals for sure. I gave the stripe back plenty of times in my dragster days and my speed was alot higher than my opponents because of how late before you caught them.
Michael Lyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #17
joe176

Liked 41 Times in 9 Posts

I spoke to Scotty at Etown. He said before any of this came up that he stayed in it past the finish line to the scoreboards for the win and thought he had it at the stripe. Vinny confirmed the datalogger showed it on the chip past the finish line. The return road celebration confirmed he had lost after he missed the win lights on the guard rail.
joe176 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2007, 08:03 PM   #18
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

Here's the two different screen captures I've seen, in succession:

Old 09-13-2007, 11:26 AM   #19
Dave Goob Cook

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geddes View Post
Guys,

Remember, we are really racing 1317.5 feet ( or so, depending on which body style you have) with beams 7 to 8 inches high at the stripe.

The tire starts the clock and the body/facia stops the clock.

??What was the reason for raising the beams at the stripe and when did if officially change?
The change came with the Compulink "Startrac" system upgrade to infrareds, I can't remember the exact reasoning, other than I believe it was to compensate for the change from incandescent photocell receivers placed at 1 1/2" above the surface, also the 60' timer was moved to 61' 4", I think to compensate for the higher downtrack sensors, and keep the "standards" in line in regards to record attempts. It also helped alleviate the problems of anyone having a movable stripe catcher or other bodywork tricks.

Seems this all happened about 2000 or so.....We need Jeff Foster in here to answer this one.
Dave Goob Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2007, 01:50 PM   #20
Geddes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Dave.

Thats good info. I would like to know more about that 60' clock spec?

Hello Jeff Foster.......................More info please.
Geddes is offline   Reply With Quote