HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 12-20-2018, 06:09 PM   #1
Bench Racer

Liked 99 Times in 21 Posts
Default Ford EEC IV computer

This is a long way from Stock or Super Stock but I couldn't figure anywhere else to put this. I searched for EEC IV but found nothing. Looking for anyone that would be so kind and can answer some questions about the EEC IV computer. I was quite fond of the W/SA Ranger of Gerald Nivens so I bought a truck to fix as a driver and take a slow ride at the local 1/8 mile strip with no worry of breakage. The truck WAS a 1991 Ranger 2.3 five speed. I pulled the engine and went through it. I put in a small camshaft. The factory roller was 187@.050 with .360 lift, the replacement was 193@.050 with 407 lift. I was told by the cam grinder the computer could be affected by large duration changes affecting vacuum but couldn't read lift and this one had no issues with EFI. The fuel pump, Fuel pressure regulator, and injectors are new. I lucky and found a C-4 pinto bellhousing and put in a C-4 with a shift kit and a 10" converter from a 2000cc Ranger that will stall 1800-1900. The issue is some times the truck runs great (but still won't spin the tires on gravel lol) and on occasion it it will act like it is starving for fuel or maybe flooding. Sometimes when this happens matting the gas solved the issue telling me it is not a fuel starvation issue and the next time it doesn't. When driving on the interstate you can feel surging with inclines and declines (this also was with the stock cam and the auto). I assumed this was vacuum changes affecting the fuel pressure regulator and put on another with no improvement I just replaced the fuel filter that had one oil change on it and checked the contents of the old one no water or rust. I am ignorant to EFI and fuel injection but considered one of the rebuilt injectors might be sticking open on occasion?? My questions are:

1. Does this early of an ECM know or care that there is a auto and not a manual trans in the truck now?

2. Do the manual 2.3 and the auto 2.3 ECM's have different timing and fuel curves?

3. Could my ECM be going bad?

4. How much cam timing, compression and fuel can you add to the stock EEC IV and it still function normal?

Any help or insight is greatly appreciated, Don Jackson
Bench Racer is offline   Reply With Quote