HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech

Old 09-09-2017, 08:13 AM   #1
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts
Default winch battery recommendations

I'm adding a winch to a new enclosed trailer soon and was wondering what type of battery would give the best performance and longest life? Conventional cranking...deep cycle? This one will be wired to charge from the tow vehicle's alternator when running down the road and while in use...of course a battery tender for when it sits idle. The winch is rated at 4500 pounds if that makes any difference. Thanks for any input in advance.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:06 AM   #2
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts
Default Re: winch battery recommendations

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
I'm adding a winch to a new enclosed trailer soon and was wondering what type of battery would give the best performance and longest life? Conventional cranking...deep cycle? This one will be wired to charge from the tow vehicle's alternator when running down the road and while in use...of course a battery tender for when it sits idle. The winch is rated at 4500 pounds if that makes any difference. Thanks for any input in advance.
In my opinion you need a deep cycle. My son manages the local Interstate dealership and he fixed me up with two Interstate deep cycle batteries. They are over five years old still strong.

My trailer came with two batteries although I think most just come with one. They mount in battery boxes on the tongue, however I notice in a lot of new trailers they mount under the counter in a battery box that is vented to the outside.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2017, 12:44 PM   #3
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

I had a winch reinforcement plate welded under the floor off to the side on the new trailer. Will be adding the battery/box right beside it against the side wall. I figured a center mounted winch would be a constant nuisance with a cable stretched out right in the middle of where the pit bike/golf cart will be tied down.
Old 09-11-2017, 12:46 AM   #4
bigsixman

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I have a group 27 deep cycle battery mounted under the bench. It is wired to charge from the tow vehicle going down the road and I use a battery tender when it sits in the yard.

I did this when I purchased the trailer in 2010 and I have had no issues.