HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Bracket Racing

Old 06-07-2016, 04:22 PM   #1
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Sportsman Racing, Making A Living!!!

Do you think it would be possible to make a living bracket racing? Get a small motorhome and an open trailer. If you were to attempt this would you hit a lot of big money bracket races and local races, or chase a class championship and a few bracket races?
footbrakesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 05:46 PM   #2
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 652 Times in 252 Posts
Default Re: Sportsman Racing, Making A Living!!!

If I could I would. The million, spring fling and other high dollar races. Electronics class is where the money is. Now that being said it's allot harder to win or go 8 rounds for great money. When there are less rounds your odds of winning is greater but the pay may not be as much. ( no e class, nhra classes and such). If you have it going on and your good then maybe the higher entry and higher rounds might be the ticket. Risk for reward.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 PM   #3
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 380 Times in 180 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbrakesbc View Post
do you think it would be possible to make a living bracket racing?
no
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2016, 10:56 AM   #4
footbrakesbc

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Best beat would be to get a dragster and dually or motor home and hit big money races?
footbrakesbc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2016, 12:17 PM   #5
Bill Baer

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbrakesbc View Post
Do you think it would be possible to make a living bracket racing? Get a small motorhome and an open trailer. If you were to attempt this would you hit a lot of big money bracket races and local races, or chase a class championship and a few bracket races?
NO, well it's theoretically possible but your more likely to hit the lottery.
I have have heard a couple of people who claim to make a living
Bracket racing but I'm very skeptical of their claims.
I would assert, and this is just my opinion,that 99% of us don't break even let alone make a 20-30K profit necessary to keep our selves fed and clothed.

Last edited by Bill Baer; 06-15-2016 at 12:25 PM. Reason: Clairification
Bill Baer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 09:32 AM   #6
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

if you could cash every weekend, and had a e85 or pump gas car. maybe a bit slower low maintenance car like a 10.90 car you might break even but i don't see ever being able to make a living at it. i believe you might make some nice extra income if you were very good. but what about the off season? you would have to have a supplemental income to race all the time.
pfordamx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 12:05 AM   #7
THE LEGEND
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

All the So Called proffessionals have other sources of income as well.

We will leave it at that.
THE LEGEND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2016, 11:57 PM   #8
cicero819
VIP Member

Liked 67 Times in 29 Posts

It's like the old joke about how t make a million dollars in drag racing is to start with two million. Seriously don't let anyone derail your dream if you feel strongly about it. I do recommend that you start locally and as you start winning races you then venture outside of your comfort zone. I would advise to make sure to start with no wife or children waiting for money to support them, start with a small van and open trailer(van to sleep in)I can remember many who started this way but unfortunately it's very hard life. Listen to the Legend he did it and learn from him.CR

Last edited by cicero819; 07-18-2016 at 11:59 PM.
cicero819 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2016, 04:42 PM   #9
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,635 Times in 506 Posts

You would have to have sponsor money to race for a living. I don't think there are any pro racers out there making a living racing with out sponsor money. In this economy it would be real difficult to find a sponsor for a bracket car at the local or divisional level. If you were very good and had several track championships under your belt you might be able to find some sponsorship for the big money bracket races from some of the local sponsors that support bracket racing at your local tracks.
Old 08-18-2016, 09:19 AM   #10
chasracer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

YES

But it comes with caveats and realism. Your question is "can you" and I believe it can be done. Now the questions that surround that are many and are going to be different for every person. How much money a month do you need ? And be honest with yourself, are you supporting a house mortgage, wife, kids, alimony, etc, etc?

Or, are you single, unattached to anything in this world except your racecar and toolbox?

If I were the second example and a whole lot younger, then yes maybe I would take a shot at it. But getting to the point that you could do it is going to require some type of minimum investment to start with and even buying used, nothing is really cheap. A good, consistent footbrake car or roadster - sorry but I have a dragster, don't limit your races by having one - a box for it and you either go with a small RV or dualie truck. The truck means hotel rooms or sleeping in the trailer. The RV might allow you to save some money if you full time in it. Then there is the spare parts you will need, tools and entry fees. The real downside to this is the loneliness. In between races, the car honestly will not hold a conversation with you. There are also the possible long runs of no luck, bad lights, rainouts and serious drivetrain damage. All in all, a lot of it depends on your personal desire and abilities. If you're the type that can pull up to an old used car dealer and fix a few of their sales prospects for some quick cash or flip hamburgers for a week to get by, then you'll have a better shot. Or maybe just a rich uncle that likes you will take care of it. Good luck!
chasracer is offline   Reply With Quote