crichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 02:40 PM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts
Default Re: nhra w/sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by crichards View Post
Ok Billy I read some of the rules and I'm confused a bit. If I use a regular cab s10 that puts me in u class but I can add weight to the truck and run w is that how it works. ( if I can find a camaro or firebird I will but I have the truck worst case). Thanks for all the help
Go to classracerinfo.com
It will answer all of your class/weight issues.
i think that the biggest concern that Mark has is the relatively high HP on the 2.2. That combo has been done before and gotten hit with HP. Just as an example of the things to look for when trying to pick a combo, Mark suggested the 82 Camaro with a 2.5 at 120 HP. An 85 Camaro with a 2.5 has much more compression and is rated at 115 HP. Now the compression is nice but that 5 HP in a 24 lb. class is 120 lbs!
If you're bound-and-determined to do an S-10, then look at an 85 S-10 with the 2.5. 14 HP less than the 98 2.2. That's over 330 lbs. more weight that the 2.2 has to carry to run W. But you DO own the 98 and it's probably easier to find parts for.
The main thing that I should impress on you is not to let the ravings of a couple of Mad Men discourage you. The fact that the 2.2 at one time ran fast enough to get hit with HP means something.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 03:39 PM   #13
crichards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I looked in class racer info I need to register thanks. I'm not set on the truck just because I have it camaro would be great if I can find one and would use a ford or whatever. I see this takes lots of thought and reading I have a lot to learn. Thanks for the help Billy and everyone else it's starting to sink in I would like to set a record if at all possible.
Old 10-11-2017, 04:39 PM   #14
Pinballer

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts

You're right. It took me about 6 months of looking through the charts and doing the math before I figured out a combo to try. And it was still a real leap of faith!
Old 10-11-2017, 05:49 PM   #15
crichards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Billy can I get a 85 camaro and then ( per rule book). Try to find a correct year 2.5 out of some other car and use that engine in the camaro if so I need to see what the block and head numbers are the same for multiple years. I can use any rear end that's a gm as long as it's the same length. And transmission can be any gm automatic.
Old 10-11-2017, 06:08 PM   #16
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Quote:
Billy can I get a 85 camaro and then ( per rule book). Try to find a correct year 2.5 out of some other car and use that engine in the camaro if so I need to see what the block and head numbers are the same for multiple years. I can use any rear end that's a gm as long as it's the same length. And transmission can be any gm automatic.
You can use an engine out of another car as long as it is the same as the Camaro.
You can use any GM rear. You can use any GM 3 speed or in the case of an 85 Camaro 4 speed GM auto.
You REALLY need to join Dwight's site.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 06:17 PM   #17
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,418 Times in 1,683 Posts

Quote:
You can use any 151 block, as long as the bore and stroke is correct.
You don't want a block with the FWD bolt pattern.Might want to look at late 70's Monza, Sunbird, etc. I believe they had the traditional Chevy RWD pattern. Either that ,or the BOP pattern.
Use a T 200 with the 2.74 low, the 7.5 rear, with as much gear as they make, and a pair of 23- 24" M&H's . Should be okay, the dime rocket way!
Old 10-11-2017, 06:26 PM   #18
crichards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks a bunch Billy and mark. I will join or register dwights site soon as I get home the phone is not working out for joining.
Old 10-11-2017, 07:33 PM   #19
crichards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Joined the info site. Lots of help there. I have a plan now.
Old 10-11-2017, 11:25 PM   #20
Bob Don
VIP Member

Liked 778 Times in 175 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
Use a T 200 with the 2.74 low, the 7.5 rear, with as much gear as they make, and a pair of 23- 24" M&H's . Should be okay, the dime rocket way!
Go with a 2.91 low