HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 01-06-2019, 07:43 PM   #1
btrc

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts
Default FE Ford questi

This isn’t a S/SS question but I know i can get a good answer here. When I retired from drag racing the first time about 30 years ago I built a 427 Cobra replica with a low riser 427. A while back I put on Edelbrock heads and a single 4 intake. I’ve been thinking about putting the low riser 2- 4 intake back on. Will the step from the intake to the heads cause any drive ability issues? I’ve heard it is not a big deal. This isn’t a race car so I don’t need max power for a 2300 lb car.

Thanks
Old 01-07-2019, 09:58 AM   #2
pmrphil

Liked 244 Times in 105 Posts
Default Re: FE Ford questi

I can't see how it can hurt driveability, the smaller runners may even help a bit.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:27 AM   #3
btrc

Liked 84 Times in 42 Posts

I believe the floor of the ports in the low risers intake are lower than the floor of the heads so there will be a step up to the heads.
Old 01-07-2019, 02:30 PM   #4
lorenr

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts
Lightbulb Re: FE Ford questi

Something similar happened on 460 fords used on jet boats. They used a standard 460 engine and added a Cobra Jet style intake manifold. The CJ intake ports being much larger than the small port cylinder heads. No one that took the engine apart could figure why there were not issues. However, the motor ran fine, in fact it made more power with the CJ setup than the standard four bbl manifold.

I'd do it. Probably be fine. The only problem I can see is that every time I've switched from 2-4's to a single 4 bbl on a good intake, I've made nearly the same power and it always ran better.

Lorenr
lorenr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:37 PM   #5
b.guggenmos

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorenr View Post
Something similar happened on 460 fords used on jet boats. They used a standard 460 engine and added a Cobra Jet style intake manifold. The CJ intake ports being much larger than the small port cylinder heads. No one that took the engine apart could figure why there were not issues. However, the motor ran fine, in fact it made more power with the CJ setup than the standard four bbl manifold.

I'd do it. Probably be fine. The only problem I can see is that every time I've switched from 2-4's to a single 4 bbl on a good intake, I've made nearly the same power and it always ran better.

Lorenr
I had a 22' Donzi with an OMC 460 and King Cobra outdrive back in the day. You are absolutely correct about the intake manifold. It had the big port CJ intake and the smaller port heads with a huge mismatch. That was all factory as Ford built the marine 460. I believe they quoted a 20-30 hp with the CJ intake?
b.guggenmos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:49 AM   #6
Ralph A Powell

Liked 201 Times in 122 Posts

You are correct on the HP gain if can find the old Ford Muscle Parts book from Ford the show that up date.

Quote:
Originally Posted by b.guggenmos View Post
I had a 22' Donzi with an OMC 460 and King Cobra outdrive back in the day. You are absolutely correct about the intake manifold. It had the big port CJ intake and the smaller port heads with a huge mismatch. That was all factory as Ford built the marine 460. I believe they quoted a 20-30 hp with the CJ intake?
Ralph A Powell is offline   Reply With Quote