HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 12-30-2018, 01:43 PM   #21
Joe Schweigert

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts
Default Re: Oil Filter Comparison

I’ve been using the System One filters for quite some time and have it on all of our engines. Just makes no sense to use a stock filter on a Race Engine. I like the idea of being able to take it apart and inspect the filter element clean it and put it back in
Old 12-30-2018, 06:04 PM   #22
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Joe, an engineer at the Sunoco refinery lab a few miles from my shop, tested filters & posted the results he got on a local board. Wix flowed more, and stopped caught more crap than the others. He was a customer of mine. I gave him one of my System1 filters. I used them, instead of cutting & throwing away the AC filters I had been using. I only used one Fram. Stopped that after cutting the first Fram apart. I was not comfortable with what it looked like.

Anyway, the spare System1 I sent with him did not flow as much as the Wix filters. I did not feel like I needed a flow restriction in my engine's oil system. I was running a dirt track Sprint Car every Fri & Sat nights then. Cheaper than throwing away two cut up Wix filters a week. I was disappointed in the test results. Never hurt any bearings with the System1. May have flowed enough.
Old 12-30-2018, 06:53 PM   #23
Joe Schweigert

Liked 14 Times in 7 Posts

Ed do you remember the difference in flow? I also did not like the idea of cutting them apart and the mess I wonder if upping the pressure overcomes the restriction at some point and the effect that has on volume on volume I have never had any issue I always appreciate your comments Ed
Old 12-30-2018, 07:05 PM   #24
CMcAllister

Liked 725 Times in 199 Posts

Regardless the brand or type, I've always used the largest filter that I could get for an application. I also see guys using remote mounts with the large filters. Seems sensible to me that a filter with more media surface area will flow more oil over a set period of time at a specific pressure and be less of a restriction in the system.
CMcAllister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2018, 08:06 PM   #25
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Sorry, Joe. Too many years ago. Don't remember any numbers. I still have one of them. Have thought about putting it back on. I have a lower volume pump (my 410" Sprint car engine was a dry dump) and always use thinner oil now. May just go back to it.
I also put a 1/8" Allen pipe plug in the bypass valve in the factory oil filter mount. Everything always goes through the filter.
Old 12-30-2018, 10:03 PM   #26
B Parker

Liked 2,312 Times in 455 Posts

Bad experience with fram Junk Junk Juuuuuunk. BP
B Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-30-2018, 10:35 PM   #27
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

The K&P Engineering oil filter is the best engineered of all the oil filters in the market. They also spent a great amount of money to get FAA certification on the oil filter.

My former manager in my last job, spent 30+ years in NASCAR as the engine shop manager for Robert Yates and later Penske. They tested many oil filters and their preference was Wix, Baldwin and Hastings oil filters. On the dyno they ran Oberg oil filters.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-31-2018, 06:41 AM   #28
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts

I don't know if the problem has been fixed, but quite a few years ago there was several Cummins engines came in the shop with pistons burned up. The oilers were stopped up with tiny hair like stuff. The common thread was the Fram oil filter. I didn't read it, but was told that later there was some bulletins about the excess diesel pollution in the oil eating up the bonding of the paper in the filters. That was supposed to stop the oil spray that cooled the piston. At the time I had a 92 Dodge 3/4 ton shop truck with a Cummins. I used a Wix after that. It has about 250,000 on it now and no problems.

Last edited by Adger Smith; 12-31-2018 at 06:42 AM. Reason: sp
Adger Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-31-2018, 10:15 AM   #29
Shake & Bake

Liked 31 Times in 27 Posts

I use the K & N "Performance Gold Oil Filter"
Height: 5.719"
Diameter: 3.696"
Thread: 13/16"-16UNS

I also use the Wix 51060R filter.
Shake & Bake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2018, 12:43 PM   #30
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 676 Times in 289 Posts

I have seen lots of tests like this one and the Fram filters seem to always end up on the bottom.

However as many as they sell they must be "good enough" for many applications.

It does not matter if it is tires, batteries or oil filters, it does not matter as much as who makes them and to what specifications they were built.

Like many others that have posted I use the Wix filters and have been happy with them.

However I would like to see a comparison that included racing filters.
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote