HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-27-2009, 05:43 AM   #1
XSTOCKER

Liked 8 Times in 3 Posts
Default 7AL or Digital?

What are the pros and cons of a 7AL vrs the Digital 7?
Thanks
XSTOCKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:20 AM   #2
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Default Re: 7AL or Digital?

Well besides the obvious price difference, the Digital contains every thing in one package. Timing control, rev limiters, output ability. I've had both set ups, they both work well, obviously the 7al is easier to install however if you require timing retards or any output controls they would need to be added. Besides the installation wiring you can pretty much have all the features with a 7al but you need to add alot of extra modules. If $ is not an issue I'd recommend the Digital, once it's in you can pretty much do any thing you'de want to with it. Joe
Old 08-27-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzinhalfdozen View Post
Well besides the obvious price difference, the Digital contains every thing in one package. Timing control, rev limiters, output ability. I've had both set ups, they both work well, obviously the 7al is easier to install however if you require timing retards or any output controls they would need to be added. Besides the installation wiring you can pretty much have all the features with a 7al but you need to add alot of extra modules. If $ is not an issue I'd recommend the Digital, once it's in you can pretty much do any thing you'de want to with it. Joe
We use the 7AL-3 and it does most of that stuff (rev limits, retard, etc.). Works like a charm. And you don't need a programmer, just pop in chips.
Old 08-27-2009, 05:49 PM   #4
DIAPERMAN

Liked 21 Times in 6 Posts

I bought a car with a programable in it so far it is a pain in the butt.I think this winter we will put a 7 al -3 in
DIAPERMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2009, 06:35 PM   #5
buzzinhalfdozen

Yes the 7al3 does have quite a few functions. I hadn't considered the 3 box, every one I know that has one has had it to the MSD trailer more than once, not saying their no good just I've heard of alot of issues with them. I've found the Digital to fairly user freindly, though it does require a little experience using a laptop or the hand held programmer. Diaperman if you decide to sell your unit shoot me a message. Either way good luck with whichever one you decide on. Joe
Old 08-27-2009, 08:58 PM   #6
Chris Williams

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There were -3 issues at one point, but as far as I know they were largely nailed. I and several people I know use them without issues.
Old 09-11-2009, 07:12 AM   #7
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

I have been using the MSD 7 (75301) for over 2 years. Only had one issue. All I did was reinstall the software and all was OK. I use my laptop to program with. I have set up different settings in the computer (SC, BRKT, Hot track, etc.) and just download at the track for each scenario. It takes less than a minute to install each program. Plus if you have to chenge out the box.......everything just plugs in.
voltdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2009, 04:34 PM   #8
Rick Blake

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

FWIW I have seen too many Digital 7 and 7AL-3 problems....have run the 7AL-2 for years without a problem and really haven't heard anyone else complain. I think the Dig-7 would be the cats azz if they were as dependable....?????
Old 09-14-2009, 01:28 PM   #9
sc3347

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Finally just got new car done and planned on testing saturday,decided on the 7 al3,only problem is it is bad out of the box.Always ran the 7 al2 with no problems.hopefully the replacement one works!
sc3347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2009, 01:48 PM   #10
buzzinhalfdozen

SC3347, can you ellaborate on the it's bad out of the box? what didn't it do? I'm just curious as I've never had a 7al3. Joe