HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Class Racer Builds

Old 12-30-2019, 12:11 PM   #331
Dave Muller

Liked 221 Times in 71 Posts
Default Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Thanks, Greg, glad I'll get to see you at Pomona.

I was using a stud but the issue seemed to be that the clamp was pushing more sideways on the edge of the distributor than pushing down on it like it should. The clamp I have now doesn't touch the edge, it only presses down. Seems to work fine. That was a very frustrating problem. I thought I had the clamp on tight enough for round two at the Wild Horse divisional. The timing was 38 degrees before the run, but it was 32 degrees after and I ran something like .06 over my dial. And lost.
Dave Muller is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 12-30-2019, 12:34 PM   #332
Bob Gullett
VIP Member

Liked 405 Times in 89 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Muller View Post
Thanks, Greg, glad I'll get to see you at Pomona.

I was using a stud but the issue seemed to be that the clamp was pushing more sideways on the edge of the distributor than pushing down on it like it should. The clamp I have now doesn't touch the edge, it only presses down. Seems to work fine. That was a very frustrating problem. I thought I had the clamp on tight enough for round two at the Wild Horse divisional. The timing was 38 degrees before the run, but it was 32 degrees after and I ran something like .06 over my dial. And lost.
I had my dist move on me a few years ago. Had a fancy billet aluminum hold down clamp. Changed it to a OEM steel one with a stud and now more movement.
Old 12-31-2019, 12:07 PM   #333
Dave Muller

Oh, I forgot about one more addition I made to the car recently.

I added an air/fuel ratio gauge. I picked up a single-gauge panel at a swap meet and added a piece of aluminum which I expoxied to the top of the dashboard.

Then I welded a bung to one of the header collectors. One of my usual ugly welding jobs.

I ran out of room on my electrical panel so I made a small one to add to the side which holds the controller for the gauge.

Old 12-31-2019, 12:52 PM   #334
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

"Ran out of room on my electrical panel" Ha! I should post a pic of mine...

I have an LC-2 as my A/F controller and it works pretty well.

Be sure to mount it where it is easy to access those Serial IN/OUT connectors. They fit together securely, which means they are hard to pull apart for connection to a laptop.

If your laptop does not have a connector for the serial cable IMS includes, pick up a Serial to USB adapter cable at Best Buy or someplace like that. It will take a few tries to train the software to see the cable if you are going through USB.

IMS has a little SD card recorder that connects to this system called a Pocket Logger. You need to stop the recording before shutting the car off or it will trash run data but the thing is under $100. They have a remote button so the logger can be mounted out of the way. I made one using an old transbrake button but don't recommend a DYI fix unless you're a better wirehead than myself.

I just finished adding one of their extended data devices - the SSI4 Plus. It adds RPM to the data log and can do driveshaft speed and stuff like that. Any 5 volt input except exhaust temp. Can't say how well it works yet (no engine). If I can see my RPM and AFR on the same chart I can get a better idea of what's going on.

Which gauge do you have? I have the IMS G3 series. It can do warnings and such. I think it's the only straight A/F ratio gauge IMS makes. All the rest have an A/F control function that kind of duplicates the LC2.

Keep that gauge where you can't miss it during a run. Mine was in a dash pod last year and I missed the warning and toasted my engine. Now it's secured to the side of my tach.

It's no Racepak, but then it's not $2500 either.
Old 12-31-2019, 01:13 PM   #335
Dave Muller

Thanks for the information. Mine is the LC-2.

So far I haven't even thought about doing anything more than looking over at it occasionally during a run. But I will see about pulling more detailed run data out of it soon. The connectors are reasonably accessible at least.
Old 01-30-2020, 08:48 PM   #336
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: '66 Malibu N/SA

Dave- When do you expect to be at Pomona before the race? I need to get with you on something Chevelle related.We can meet up at the track very easily.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2020, 10:15 AM   #337
Bob Shaw

Liked 290 Times in 58 Posts

I had a lot of weird electrical problems when I had my MSD box mounted close to my other wiring.
Old 02-03-2020, 08:43 PM   #338
Dissident

Liked 73 Times in 36 Posts

One should look at the use of an easy to fabricate Faraday Cage, but opinions often vary. However, they are common on critical electronics in military and aerospace applications.
One need only look at most racecar wiring and wonder why. LOL

Regards,
HB2
Dissident
Dissident is offline   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 02-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #339
FireSale
VIP Member

Liked 236 Times in 127 Posts

Bit more info. You know those wallets that protect the ID stripe on your credit cards? That's a Faraday Cage, an enclosure that stops outside electrical or radio interference. It is a fabric available from Amazon or just steel screen. For a race application you would build a box frame of aluminum covered with steel screen to cover electronics prone to interference. My Digital 8, IMS air/fuel controller, IMS data interface (SSI 4+) and an SD reader are all in one place on the trans hump and my collection of relays and power connections is on the passenger floor. The hump should be caged.

Something new for me this season is an RV style digital amp meter. It's wired to a shunt at the battery ground and reads amp draw as I turn on accessories. I have it wired to a double pole/double throw switch and can reverse it to read amps going into the battery (charging). Like, $20.

Call me Professor Small Block...
Old 02-06-2020, 10:21 AM   #340
HP HUNTER

Liked 238 Times in 97 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Shaw View Post
I had a lot of weird electrical problems when I had my MSD box mounted close to my other wiring.
I always use this:
Attached Images

HP HUNTER is offline   Reply With Quote