HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-17-2010, 03:52 PM   #11
MR57MIKE

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Smile Re: What oil do you use?

I use joe gibbs xp1 with good results. This oil is cheap compared with the cost of everything else. I run both stock and super stock.
I use brad penn in my old flat tappet street cars.
Good luck,
mike
MR57MIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:12 PM   #12
racerron5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: What oil do you use?

Thanks for all the reponses and all the details. Interesting to say the least.

Now not to open a can worms but I was told that 100% synthetic is too slippery for lifters to rotate and it's not uncommon for them to stop rotating and wear off a cam lobe.

Anyone hear of this before??
racerron5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 07:35 PM   #13
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerron5 View Post
Thanks for all the reponses and all the details. Interesting to say the least.

Now not to open a can worms but I was told that 100% synthetic is too slippery for lifters to rotate and it's not uncommon for them to stop rotating and wear off a cam lobe.

Anyone hear of this before??
Nope, and remember synthetic oils are "factory fill" on some pretty expensive/exotic iron.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 09:27 PM   #14
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The main thing to consider is the main point of your question....with the flat tappets I would avoid anything that wasn't fortified with the extra ZDDP (zinc phosphate additive)...brand wise there are many to chose from and that is what makes it tough to decide what to run....full synthetics on OEM units does not apply to you because these are all modern roller cam engines and do not require the additives that you do for break in and then operation after that.....over the last 40 years I have seen, read and used about every cam break in there is including believe it or not using NO lube on the lobes or lifters on install and breaking the cam in that way (non running engine, intake off, no timing chain and powering the cam with the rest of the valvetrain installed so that you can watch and verify that the lifters were rotating for proper break in)....most cam break in lubes are just a form of "friction modifier" so that the lube is not too slick for break in...really after a proper break in what you want to avoid is a heavy weight full synthetic oil.....

my current setup I use Redline in everything front to rear (hydraulic roller cam)10w30, auto trans and rear gear lube.....I have been able to run a full season on the engine oil and had 820 passes on the trans when I pulled it to upgrade it(still worked great)....I tried Royal Purple in the engine but after 2 weeks it smelled nasty so I put the Redline back in...

break it in right and keep the zddp up and your cam will live as long as you use the right springs with it...

D L Rambo....
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 11:16 AM   #15
Kris Kristofferson

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey guys,

What about Pennzoil 25W50 race oil? I believe it has a high ZDDP content? Anyone have a bad experience with this product?

Kris
Kris Kristofferson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 01:37 PM   #16
Harry 6674

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Delo,yea the diesel stuff.
Harry 6674 is offline   Reply With Quote