HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #1
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts
Unhappy The Risks of Our Sport

Yesterday another racer lost his life at a bracket race.

I copied this well written Facebook posting, that says a lot and sharing it.

My Prayers and condolences for the family of the racer that lost his life.

--------------------------------------------

I hear that a racer was killed today in an unfortunate accident.

He didn't say goodbye to his family when he left for the track thinking it was the last time.

He didn't make sure his will was taken care of, and he didn't check to make sure his finances were in order. He, like the rest of us, walked out the door expecting to win. I know his name but won't reveal it.

A couple of weeks ago, a trans line burt on my car and got on the tire. I got lucky and even though it got up on 2 wheels at about 150 mph, i somehow managed to save it.

I did none of the things I mentioned because all I knew was, I was going to win.

This is a dangerous game we are all playing, especially with the speeds some of us are running today. None of us have a guarentee for tomorrow.

I'm sitting here, thinking of his family. The pain of an unexpected loss is the worst kind.

Please remember that when we jump in our land rockets, if something bad happens, it's not only us that suffers.

May God Bless his family and may he Rest in Peace. Far to many racers have left us, Don't want to hear of any more.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 AM   #2
Julie Jordan

Liked 321 Times in 64 Posts
Default Re: The Risks of Our Sport

The risk of towing to the race track far exceeds the risk on the track.

EVERYONE should have some sort of estate and healthcare plan in place. Even those without substantial assets still have things to deal with such as guardianship for minor children and naming someone to assist with healthcare decisions if you are unable to do so.

I know of many racers with garages full of car parts. Most of their family members think it's all junk and would probably call a junk yard to pick things up. It would be wise to name a trusted racing/car friend to assist the family with sorting through these items and making sure it's not all just "junk".

Don't leave your family in the dark. In addition to having a trust/will and Durable Health Care I recommend keeping a binder to be used "in case of emergency". This binder should have a copy of your legal docs, as well as contact information for your attorney, accountant, insurance agent, etc. List your assets, along with applicable account numbers, so that your family doesn't have to search through every drawer in your desk. If you have a safe deposit box, list the bank information. If you have life insurance, include that information. Having all this in one place will assist your family immensely as they begin the arduous task of taking care of your financial affairs.

I've dealt with a lot of horrid estate issues because the decedent didn't take the time to plan. It's awful on families. Don't put your family through that, plan it all out and take the time to make things as easy as possible. The only thing we know for sure in life is that we will one day die.

Last edited by Julie Jordan; 07-24-2017 at 02:18 PM.
Julie Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 12:45 PM   #3
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

Very good advice Mrs Jordan. We don't ever expect it to be us that this happens to but we shouldn't be so careless to put our loved ones in a bad situation if it is ever "us".
Old 07-24-2017, 10:30 PM   #4
CMcAllister

Liked 745 Times in 206 Posts

Sad situation indeed. Based on the details, one would assume he had a medical issue that caused the accident. Still sorry to hear.
CMcAllister is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2017, 11:57 PM   #5
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 261 Posts

Back in Sept of '99 on a Sat night at Cordova I had a "What If" conversation with then my Girlfriend & now wife about "What If I died racing". By Sunday at 1:30 I had died (& revived) in a racing accident and she was living the "What If" bad dream. At the end of a 9 second run my life, hers and my family's lives changed forever. Have your life right with God and every other aspect before going to races. You never know........
Old 07-25-2017, 08:49 AM   #6
Michael Beard
VIP Member

Liked 12 Times in 8 Posts

There's a "racer's letter" everyone is sharing on Facebook, and it's a good read, but the words that Randy Biddle Jr. posted along with it is something that everyone needs to read. No amount of preparation guarantees safety, but not preparing as much as you should can be devastating to you, your family, and your literally thousands of friends in the racing community -- many of whom you may have never met in person! That's how tight the racing community is. If you're a racer, you're family. "Nothing ever happens until it does." I hope nothing ever does happen to anyone ever again. But if it does, please give yourself the best chance you can. To each and every one of you in the racing community: Take good care of yourself. We love you.

RBJ posted:
>> "This one hits home! I've done a lot of stupid **** in a race car like wore my belts too loose, raced in shorts, even wrecked my car when I knew it shouldn't have been going down the track that pass just to try and get 1 more win light and I've even said when I go out I want to go out doing what I love but after being at MIR yesterday and experiencing the sickening feeling in my stomach once they got down to the scene of the crash and didn't come over the PA saying the driver is ok that's the first time in my life I can honestly say I prolly wasn't getting back in a racecar yesterday even if they would of finished the race. I've never seen A track that quiet and the look on everyone's face as you drove through the pits is indescribable. I no longer want to go out like that and put that feeling on anyone.

We've all had close calls and just shook it off, or have seen a wreck and thought that won't happen to me but this ****s real and can happen to you. I know I'll be wearing all my safety stuff from here on out and doing better maintenance on my cars and I hope all my friends and family do too and don't just shake off what happened yesterday in the next couple weeks."
Old 07-25-2017, 10:04 AM   #7
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 649 Times in 208 Posts

Michael Beard, Adger Smith, and Juie Jordan were spot on with all their comments. You just never know what might happen. It's the thing you didn't think about or even know about that could get you. Safety equiment is there for a reason. Build your car with the General Regulations pages of the rule book right on top of your toolbox. Go by the book. Tech people can see when a racer builds something with every effort directed toward compliance.They like that. Adger hit on the concept of living right. Good idea. Getting out of bed can test that concept as well. Julie was right on about the tow to the track being more scary than the actual racing. The way these screaming third world maniacs drive down here is enough to scare a Blue Angels pilot. Not fun when towing. Make sure your trailer brakes work, your lights work, your tires are all good, your hitch is installed right and works, and all is well.
Sunday, at Irwindale, I got to the finish line and a front tire blew out right in the lights. The car stayed straight, I got off the track, even drove it to my pit space on a flat front tire. I knew it was junk anyway, so I didn't worry about it. I put a spare stock tire and wheel on the car and just made it for the next round. The tread on both front tires was worn thin in the middle of the tire,but this tire had a flat spot I never really noticed, and that's where it blew out. Some front tires are only two ply nylon, and not too strong, and prior to the race I aired it up to 35 PSI. That was a contributing factor,as well. Believe me, good front tires are as important as good rears. They get a good thrashing at the end of the track as well. Keeping an eye on maintenance items is essential,as well.
It's always sad to lose good racer friends due to natural causes, after all,nobody gets out of this planet alive, but preventing fatal accidents is a good way to increase the odds of being able to come back and race again.Isn't that all our goals, anyway?
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:01 PM   #8
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts

Nobody mentioned a very important point. You can have all the safety equipment available and still be at great risk. That risk is your health. Some racers are out there with health problems that can affect their ability to control their cars. Whether it's being on medications or the lack of being on or taking them it doesn't take much to not be in control of their car. Before safety equipment it's every bodies responsibility to be in the best physical and mental condition. Not only are you in danger but the person in the other lane is at risk.
Just some observations from an old retired coot.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:56 PM   #9
Rick Bailey

Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Unhappy Re: The Risks of Our Sport

Maybe its time to reconsider "required physicals " .... Not saying this was the case in Tommy"s deal sunday but who knows. It was also suggested that maybe he suffered heat exhaustion and passed out, we all know that this past weekend the temps across the nation was terrible . Hence Div 3 calling the div race at St.Louis .

May Tommy Rest In Peace !
Old 07-27-2017, 04:04 PM   #10
rognelson777

Liked 132 Times in 72 Posts

Dehydration at the race track. After hearing the details of the accident, i thought it might be a possible cause for this accodent.
Think about it, extreme heat, A busy day racing , not getting hydrated, sometimes sitting in staging lanes for hours,. It was a dragster, so fire suit. I have seen the effects of bad dehydration, you can pass out and not even see it coming.
Had it happen to a friend at the vegas race, just slumped over in a chair and had to go to hospital for fluids.
Easy answer is, if you are not peeing, you are dehydrated, be careful
rognelson777 is offline   Reply With Quote