HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-27-2017, 08:44 PM   #21
Jared Jordan

Liked 224 Times in 69 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jared Jordan
Default Re: Big Tire & Small Tire Shootouts at National Events

I think the definition of "rule book" is a little distorted here. You're on a Stock/SS forum. Don't like the views/opinions? Go to the "small tire shootout" forum.
Old 07-27-2017, 09:14 PM   #22
MR DERBY CITY
VIP Member

Liked 6,611 Times in 1,289 Posts

Now I know how the dinosaurs felt before it started getting really cold......As my close friend Bill Rink would say...and I quote.." MJ, the only people that care about stk/SS is us " ....
MR DERBY CITY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:10 AM   #23
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR DERBY CITY View Post
Now I know how the dinosaurs felt before it started getting really cold......As my close friend Bill Rink would say...and I quote.." MJ, the only people that care about stk/SS is us " ....
[/B]Just wait a minute.....

I want to be included with you and Bill
Old 07-28-2017, 07:51 AM   #24
Crisco

Liked 22 Times in 10 Posts

Nathan, you are fighting a losing battle with these guys and you know it. You and I grew up watching and actually got to help/work on the Stockers and Super Stockers (Jimmy Bridges, Kenny Schindler, Kevin Cradduck, I could go on...) We know what it takes to run a points meet, a National event and we also know what it takes to run our X275 car. They are all a lot of work. All these classes have rule books from different organizations that we have to follow. A lot of the S/SS guys are still purists and that's fine. But there are some S/SS guys that see technology has gotten better over the last 10 years and are still working on their cars, hauling *** and not pounding on a keyboard bitching about what NHRA is doing. They show up and race.

NHRA has noticed the following of these heads up classes and are trying to cash in and they will. Hell, look at the **** they gave Stevie Fast when he came to Pro Mod. He took it, and then went on about his day hauling ***. He had more fans around his pit area than majority of the pits combined. He talked to his fans unlike most of the other Pro Mod guys as they turn their noses up..been there, seen it.

Bottom line is it is NHRA sandbox, show up with your toys and play with them or go fishing...
Crisco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:13 AM   #25
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Stinson View Post
Seems like a lot of bitterness in the post here. How exactly did these racers being invited to a race for an exhibition affect the outcome of your race weekend? We all already know that most stock/SS guys don't care for any other class but what they run in, and that's cool, but why not educate yourselves instead of b*tching about something that you don't even want to understand?
I can't answer about the cars that you are speaking about, but I know earlier this year at the New England national event, NHRA ran a 8 car X275 race. I happen to run in the X275 class and I can tell you those guys are not rookie racers, in fact the guy that won the exhibition, Dean Marinis, has a Pro Mod car he has ran at NHRA national events. We have records and we have a national points fund, just not thru NHRA. In fact guys like me do business with people who are "class racers". I just picked up my cylinder heads for my X275 car from a pretty well known SS racer, Jimmy Bridges.
Do these cars belong at NHRA national events? Only NHRA knows what the future holds on that, but one thing I can tell you is people like myself and others with these cars, we are as much of a member of NHRA as you guys are. We pay membership, license, and chassis certification dues just like you guys, so whether you like it or not we are in the club too!
I think when Steve Jackson started running a Pro Mod this year, NHRA saw first hand what a following that the small tire radial world has, and like someone else mentioned I am sure they want to try and test the waters to cash in, and I don't blame anyone running a business for doing that! When guys like Donald Long can put on a race at SGMP and have to turn people away because the place is at capacity, and pay 60K winners purse, I am sure that gets NHRA's attention.
We all know why X275 is running at NHRA events, $$$$. Here's where the bitch is. Let's say you want to race at Donald's race and you are set to do so, then he limits the field to not a performance standard but how many of his events you've run in the past, now even though you may be a top performer you can't get in.... then he invites 30 lawn mowers to drag race in your place after you have been supporting since the beginning.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 09:42 AM   #26
Dave Gantz

Liked 226 Times in 118 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Did you ever take the time to notice that they (the NHRA Board-of-Directors) always manage to make enough money to cover their over sized saleries?
For sure. Non-profits befuddle me. What's the incentive to make money (improve)? Definitely a political topic... won't go there.

Sorry for the hijack.

Last edited by Dave Gantz; 07-28-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Dave Gantz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 12:47 PM   #27
Nathan Stinson

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
We all know why X275 is running at NHRA events, $$$$. Here's where the bitch is. Let's say you want to race at Donald's race and you are set to do so, then he limits the field to not a performance standard but how many of his events you've run in the past, now even though you may be a top performer you can't get in.... then he invites 30 lawn mowers to drag race in your place after you have been supporting since the beginning.

I get the point, but again that isn't what happened for these side show races. NHRA has been limiting fields for a while now and raising grade point requirements. My point is this didn't just come about this past weekend.
At the end of the day NHRA is a business and it has to bring value to its customers, all of them, not just a certain group. Markets change, the demographics change, and in order to maintain a viable business model they have to test the waters.
I find it ironic that guys will worry about a 8 car exhibition series ran on one day of a 4 day event, but only 17 SS and 32 stockers showed up at the Denver national event. If I was that worried about a spot to race, I would be there supporting the series showing NHRA that you will fill the field. Hard to complain about not having a spot to race in when you don't support the spots they give you!
Nathan Stinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 01:18 PM   #28
Jeff Stout
VIP Member

Liked 655 Times in 255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan Stinson View Post
I get the point, but again that isn't what happened for these side show races. NHRA has been limiting fields for a while now and raising grade point requirements. My point is this didn't just come about this past weekend.
At the end of the day NHRA is a business and it has to bring value to its customers, all of them, not just a certain group. Markets change, the demographics change, and in order to maintain a viable business model they have to test the waters.
I find it ironic that guys will worry about a 8 car exhibition series ran on one day of a 4 day event, but only 17 SS and 32 stockers showed up at the Denver national event. If I was that worried about a spot to race, I would be there supporting the series showing NHRA that you will fill the field. Hard to complain about not having a spot to race in when you don't support the spots they give you!
Your right the problem didnt just start when this class was brought in, its just a continuance of other filler taking time away from class cars again and again.Try being parked 3/4 mile away from starting line with portajohns, no PA, rule book states car must be driven to the lanes and with foot traffic its nearly impossible to do. Thats why s/ss car count is so low and do not want to race at Denver. Maybe small tire and big tire can be parked in the north 40 at Denver instead of prime spots at Sonoma and drive car to staging and see how it feels being the ugly step child.
As long as it takes for small, big tire class to run 3 rounds of racing and how ever many qualifing passes with 6 crew members helping with burnouts and finding starting line would be the same as another 20 s/ss cars.
Jeff Stout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:30 PM   #29
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 321 Times in 101 Posts

Just a heads up on the big tire small tire joke.....

NHRA was getting ready to go live on FS-1 for TF & Funny Car, BUT

a small tire car stood it up and slammed it down, BUT

once wasn't enough, he did it again and exploded his oil pan, SO

he went all the way down the track and shut off right in the middle..

The NHRA crew has been working for 30 minutes to clean up his mess...

Pull over and stop...No way..

I wonder how much that oil down will cost??????

Just another dog and pony show..
Old 07-29-2017, 12:41 AM   #30
Everett Vassar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Mulry View Post
Just a heads up on the big tire small tire joke.....

NHRA was getting ready to go live on FS-1 for TF & Funny Car, BUT

a small tire car stood it up and slammed it down, BUT

once wasn't enough, he did it again and exploded his oil pan, SO

he went all the way down the track and shut off right in the middle..

The NHRA crew has been working for 30 minutes to clean up his mess...

Pull over and stop...No way..

I wonder how much that oil down will cost??????

Just another dog and pony show..
Well now..if that's what the fans want...........
Everett Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote