HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-03-2012, 08:50 AM   #1
Robbie Welch
Live Reporter

Liked 262 Times in 124 Posts
Default Florida winter race schedule

I've heard that Orlando will not be racing next year? Anybody know what the winter race schedule will be. Just trying to make plans for Jan/Feb. Thanks Robbie
Robbie Welch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 01:16 PM   #2
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Florida winter race schedule

Robbie;
Don't make or cancel plans just yet. Orlando is not officially out yet. It is true that Carl is going to retire at the end of the year, but right now it is uncertain if the track might be leased to someone else or the property will be sold and used for another purpose. I hear a new rumor every week. I just hope it is leased to someone that intends to keep the track operating.

Hey Dan Moore, you're #1.

RIP Mark Graham & WB Hutto
Old 09-03-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
Joe Pinkston

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Florida winter race schedule

There was a discussion about Orlando a few weeks ago in the Stock/Super Stock section on here and Carl replied with this.

(Quote)
First of all I want to give a giant "thank you" to everyone that has supported the operation of Orlando Speed World Dragway during the last 25 years.

Because of confidentiality agreements I just can't comment or speculate on the future of the Orlando Speed World property other than to say, at this time, there are no drag strip events on the schedule beyond December of 2012. And, I don't know of any firm offers to buy the property.

There are a few things I can tell you. I personally plan to retire from the active drag strip operation of Orlando Speed World Dragway at the end of 2012.

I am not, nor do I expect to be, the owner or part owner of Lakeland Drag Strip.

While I may go to our home in Oregon for extended periods of time next year, I have no intention of returning there to operate the drag strip at the Jackson County Sports Park.

There is no "serious rift" between myself and the Hart family (owners of Orlando Speed
World and New Smyrna Speedway). They wouldn't own the Speed World property today
if it weren't for me and I wouldn't have had the opportunity to operate Orlando Speed World Dragway for the last 25 years if it weren't for them.

Best to all of you,

Carl Weisinger

PS. I'd love to see any old pictures you may have taken at Central Florida Dragway/Orlando Speed World Dragway between 1966 and 1985.
(Quote)

From my attempt to read between the lines, I think someone else is going to continue operating the track. I hope I am right and hopefully they will have the same love of LODRS type racing that Carl has. We shall see.

Hey Dan Moore, you're #1.

RIP Mark Graham & WB Hutto