HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing Tech

Old 12-14-2012, 11:42 PM   #41
Pvt Parts

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: What would be the min size truck to tow 24 foot enclosed

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtr0id View Post
i'm looking at the ram 3500s now with the cummins. anything special i need to know or keep and eye out for?

right now i'm pulling a 28ft with a 4000 # car inside

Vehicle mileage/maintenance schedule. Properly maintained they run forever, but if ignored, can be very costly.
Old 12-14-2012, 11:54 PM   #42
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

Forget all the extra radio/electronic/ customer preferred packages--these are bullsh-t packages also the spray in bed liners get a bedliner insert for about $200---get a diesel engine -auto trans -trans cooler/tow package ---air conditioning--- they come with psteering/p brakes /windows /tilt/cruise--bucket seats are nice leather not necessary cold in the winter and hot in the summer go with cloth seats-- forget the poly raz ma taz $500 paint get a standard color like white/ red/blue no extra cost they hafta paint the damn thing any way--- forget the 4 wheel drive will ride like a dump truck and the mileage will suffer dramatically ya can get that price down about $10,000 from the list by eliminating all that crap-- do ya really need all that stuff??? get the 373 rear unless your towing a 5th wheel take forever to get up to speed but much better mileage otherwise get the 410-- forget the extra cost tires too-are you gonna drive this thing everyday if so think about what ya really need
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 07:25 AM   #43
jmcarter
VIP Member

Liked 2,664 Times in 851 Posts

FED 387 is right, the ST trim level is fine unless you really want the creature comforts. You might consider the 2500 as well unless you may go longer with the trailer some day. Dealers are discounting them 10K or more, but you better hurry, the 2013's are close and they will have the UREA injection. If you can find a good 2004-early 2007 model you can score the 5.9 Cummings which gets better mileage and less potential problems. Only advantage of the 6.7 is they have a integrated exhaust brake. Their higher advertised HP/TQ is not a big factor with a Cummings, if you want more power a few mods can make it do anything up to and including breaking the auto trans.

Last edited by jmcarter; 12-15-2012 at 07:28 AM.
jmcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2012, 09:20 AM   #44
rtr0id

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pvt Parts View Post
Vehicle mileage/maintenance schedule. Properly maintained they run forever, but if ignored, can be very costly.
so noted as this will be my first diesel. tell everyone i said merry xmas

Quote:
Originally Posted by FED 387 View Post
Forget all the extra radio/electronic/ customer preferred packages--these are bullsh-t packages also the spray in bed liners get a bedliner insert for about $200---get a diesel engine -auto trans -trans cooler/tow package ---air conditioning--- they come with psteering/p brakes /windows /tilt/cruise--bucket seats are nice leather not necessary cold in the winter and hot in the summer go with cloth seats-- forget the poly raz ma taz $500 paint get a standard color like white/ red/blue no extra cost they hafta paint the damn thing any way--- forget the 4 wheel drive will ride like a dump truck and the mileage will suffer dramatically ya can get that price down about $10,000 from the list by eliminating all that crap-- do ya really need all that stuff??? get the 373 rear unless your towing a 5th wheel take forever to get up to speed but much better mileage otherwise get the 410-- forget the extra cost tires too-are you gonna drive this thing everyday if so think about what ya really need
i'm getting old so i need a few creature comforts I agree 4wd is not needed. there are alot less 2wds around to choose from but they are what i'm looking at. Actually might step up to a 2 car trailer so i wanted the 4.10s.

My daily driver is my race car now but might make the truck my DD so then i can have a dedicated race car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcarter View Post
FED 387 is right, the ST trim level is fine unless you really want the creature comforts. You might consider the 2500 as well unless you may go longer with the trailer some day. Dealers are discounting them 10K or more, but you better hurry, the 2013's are close and they will have the UREA injection. If you can find a good 2004-early 2007 model you can score the 5.9 Cummings which gets better mileage and less potential problems. Only advantage of the 6.7 is they have a integrated exhaust brake. Their higher advertised HP/TQ is not a big factor with a Cummings, if you want more power a few mods can make it do anything up to and including breaking the auto trans.
how big a pain the the UREA stuff? the 13s have a lot of nice upgrades but i'll probably go with a 2012, could use the write off this year
rtr0id is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 03:29 AM   #45
Geerhead55
VIP Member

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Wink Re: What would be the min size truck to tow 24 foot enclosed

I've used a 2004 Hemi Ram 1500 Quad cab,( check Daily Drivers thread), for 8 seasons now, with no problems. I haven't traveled huge miles with it, mostly local tracks. I've got a 24ft. Wells Cargo with a '68 Nova, an old Honda 3 wheeler, couple of tool boxes and jugs of gas and fluids. Thats usually it for weight.
It'll get up to speed at a reasonable rate, and like most larger setups, you've got to drive a half mile ahead of yourself. The few times I've had to dynamite the brakes, thanks to idiots around you, the trailer has stayed in line, just fine. I will tap the trailer lever when approaching a stoplight or sign, to spread the load, if you will. Remember, these newer trucks have four wheel disc brakes nowadays, that the older 1/2 tons didn't have.
Make sure you've got the proper hitch setup and use the bars correctly, and make sure you know where to spot the car in the trailer so you don't have too much weight over your ***** end.
Good luck which ever path you take.
Danny Durham
Geerhead55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2012, 11:38 AM   #46
FED 387
VIP Member

Liked 279 Times in 149 Posts

UREA not a pain just have to buy the stuff-part of the pollution control system/engine management system--ask the 2013 Ford Diesel guys they all have it on theirs not sure about this maybe some of the 2012 trucks do too--prices are all over on that stuff NAPA-Ford and I'm sure the big auto parts stores(Pep Boys/Autozone/Carquest etc) sell it too---can get kinda pricey if ya buy it at the wrong place---like maybe 12-15 Dollars a gallon difference---so shop around
FED 387 is online now   Reply With Quote