HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 07-03-2014, 01:53 PM   #1
1Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Peter Magel and "The Maggot"

I am looking for articles and pictures of Peter Magel's 52 Studebaker "The Maggot". Carr Magel Peter'e older brother and I have become internet friends when I told Carr I used to help Peter when he raced the Maggot. Carr asked me to try to find more pictures or articles on the car.

Also I have some business to do in Buffalo,so I thought to take what I find in pictures and articles with me for a visit to Peter who has lived in a rest home there.I don't know if Peter knows or understand what a influence he has on me and others my entire drag racing life.

Any help would be appreciated.
1Gary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 03:17 PM   #2
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Peter Magel and "The Maggot"

Appears it is in GREAT condition:

Now THIS is how you grab a gear !!!!!

Go here for more info and pics:

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/t...maggot.754737/

Other stories:

http://autoracingmemories.com/forums...ead.php?t=1858

And another more recent;

http://www.lincolnsonline.com/forum/...ad.php?t=79580

Last edited by Charlie A; 07-04-2014 at 09:16 AM.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2014, 07:58 PM   #3
tommy d

Liked 310 Times in 116 Posts

Man Charlie! You're good at digging up car history. Love stories like this.
Old 09-11-2014, 05:58 PM   #4
vintagestitch

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

1gary would you like to see the car? If your in the Niagara area sometime let me know and we could meet up. The car is still in great condition the body is rock solid and just the way he raced it. Its still runs as well. the wiring was a bit rough shape so im in the middle of finishing installing a new harness, as well as having the drivers side header repaired. Just doing enough on the car to make it safe to drive and just preserving as much originality as possible. Still need to check through the brakes though.
vintagestitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 10:47 PM   #5
Neil Smedley

Liked 22 Times in 7 Posts

Very sad to report that my old buddy, Pete Magel passed away last month....He was a great man that would give you the shirt off his back....His only fault was in trusting others.......RIP old friend.....http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/buf...?pid=172228356
Neil Smedley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2014, 12:13 AM   #6
1Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Unhappy Re: Peter Magel and "The Maggot"

Peter spent alot of time teaching me drag racing when I was young.When Carr told me he died,well it hurt.Miss him??. Really we drifted apart,it just regret that I didn't get to see him one more time after I only recently got the up-date about him.
Old 09-15-2014, 07:30 PM   #7
CarrW

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Usually replays are made head to head not here? As Peters older brother and the last of 3 males in the Magel family I am responsible to thank those people who directly ( Gary,Neil ) or indirectly( Charlie A ) have helped to keep the memory of Peter and " The Magott" alive. Naturally the only
people that means anything to are myself at 85 and his younger friends
( Peter certainly doesn't care) who aren't that young.. The only hope for any type of immorality is if Vintagestich keeps the " Maggot" in the publics eye.
Almost everybody knows that the original seller ,Uzerowski in Varysburg NY stole the "Maggot" a Lark partially ready to race and maybe a Hudson
that won a National all for 2000$. That price alone was criminal as the buyer immediately put the " Maggot" up for sale for 10,000$. As Peter is dead I've dropped the criminal pursuit in the situation. Hoping Vintagestich
loves that car as much as Peter did. Carr
CarrW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 08:24 PM   #8
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarrW View Post
Usually replays are made head to head not here? As Peters older brother and the last of 3 males in the Magel family I am responsible to thank those people who directly ( Gary,Neil ) or indirectly( Charlie A ) have helped to keep the memory of Peter and " The Magott" alive. Naturally the only
people that means anything to are myself at 85 and his younger friends
( Peter certainly doesn't care) who aren't that young.. The only hope for any type of immorality is if Vintagestich keeps the " Maggot" in the publics eye.
Almost everybody knows that the original seller ,Uzerowski in Varysburg NY stole the "Maggot" a Lark partially ready to race and maybe a Hudson
that won a National all for 2000$. That price alone was criminal as the buyer immediately put the " Maggot" up for sale for 10,000$. As Peter is dead I've dropped the criminal pursuit in the situation. Hoping Vintagestich
loves that car as much as Peter did. Carr
The history of our sport takes on personal value when the subject is someone we love. This car and its original owner are part of drag racing folklore.

It appears it has found a wonderful home.

No thanks necessary.
Its an honor to help bring the story back to life.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 08:17 AM   #9
1Gary

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by vintagestitch View Post
1gary would you like to see the car? If your in the Niagara area sometime let me know and we could meet up. The car is still in great condition the body is rock solid and just the way he raced it. Its still runs as well. the wiring was a bit rough shape so im in the middle of finishing installing a new harness, as well as having the drivers side header repaired. Just doing enough on the car to make it safe to drive and just preserving as much originality as possible. Still need to check through the brakes though.
Actually I would.I do come to visit a friend in Tonn,NY from time to time.I'll let you went I'm in town again.