HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 02-08-2018, 03:23 AM   #5091
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie A View Post

I really do like that look- thanks!
LO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:25 PM   #5092
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

Pictures deleted due to non cimpliance

So, long time friend and previous owner of my car Tim Hennessey emails me this morning with a bunch of very old but very cool old pictures originating from Hurst by a guy inside who was working on them at the time. I will post a couple at a time. Each one is full of neat **** to be seen about the process these cars went through.

This one still has the steel front fenders on it The rear wheel modifications are complete but it looks like it still has the shorter A Body differential in it. Interesting the doors are off it here.
Engine compartment excluding rad cradle are painted black and inside wheel wells and interior and door jambs are still in grey primer. No splash panels installed here either. No quarter glass or weatherstripping extension

This one you can see a 4 spd tunnel that looks like it is bare steel unlike the grey primer painted interior around it. This was before anything inside was painted black.
You can see the red disclaimer decal on the door jamb.
You can see the wider B Body diff( in this case would be a Dana60) installed with the special offset rear wheels

So why the bare 4 spd. hump? My thoughts are this was added at Hurst. I think it left Chrysler tagged as an automatic but someone ordered a 4 speed and Hurst did not have any factory assembled 4 speed bodies ready to go or in inventory so they ordered up the pedals and the tin hump which would of come right off the assembly line I'm thinking. Probably a factory backed racer like Sox & Martin or ????
This is how my old Landy car that was tagged as an automatic but never had an automatic installed in it from new started its career. BUT that one also never had any kind of drivetrain installed in it in Detroit. It was sent by aircraft as a rolling shell to Dick in California for him to assemble as a running car.
Wish I could see the pedal area better

liteweight

stay tuned. Theres more to come. And photobucket can't touch these...lol

Last edited by Liteweight; 02-18-2018 at 01:35 AM.
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 05:29 PM   #5093
LO23

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts

WOW! Great stuff, right there. Thanks! Can't wait for more.
LO23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 08:04 PM   #5094
Charlie A
VIP Member

Liked 87 Times in 63 Posts

The ride continues. Just when there is a question of "what else is out there" in mind...... Here comes a REALLY cool bunch of historical pictures from out of nowhere.
Charlie A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 12:39 AM   #5095
HEMIDARTDAVE

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Original hemi dart information

Yes, thanks so much for posting these Daryl !
HEMIDARTDAVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 09:55 AM   #5096
Liteweight
VIP Member

Liked 31 Times in 19 Posts

My pleasure gentlemen. I love getting new pics of these things. As you know there are only so many out there. I am amassing a pretty extensive file of pictures of both BO29 & LO23 cars. Most newly found pics are coming from pricate individuals who attended various racetracks across the country watching these cars run back then. Some are very cool pit shots.
Most are of previously found cars but at various time periods. Some of these cars changed ALOT over a short time frame. The factory backed and sponsored teams changed the most.
All the above has actual two fold reasoning. Firstly in the attempt to keep fresh content ongoing here, But also I am still in the quest of finding more pics of my car. Not doing so well on the second part.
When these Hurst facility pics were sent my way by Tim, I had to share them here first, because of the faithfull followers that has become home base for those interested in these things. I wont share them anywhere else publically until you guys get to see them first.

liteweight

Last edited by Liteweight; 02-09-2018 at 02:32 PM.
Liteweight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 04:55 PM   #5097
beekool

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

Loving this!
beekool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 11:50 PM   #5098
68hemiss

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Daryl,
As you know, I have had copies of these original pics for some time now. I think that the 4-speed hump was installed at Chrysler - note that the hole has been covered with cardboard. I looked at my pics and there is not an auto brake pedal shown in the car.
Note that there are steel fenders on both cars. Dave Koffell told me that one of the first projects he had when he started at Chrysler was to get rid of these steel fenders and doors from these cars. You would think that they would have put them back in the Chrysler system - possibly through the parts division but for some reason they couldn't. He said alot of them went in dumpsters.
Mark Janaky
1968 Hemi S/S Registry
68hemiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 12:35 AM   #5099
marfen

Liked 16 Times in 9 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by LO23 View Post
Need your opinion here, guys- my Dart is nearly ready to hit the local dragstrip this early summer. Getting upgraded axles now, and the guys working on my car are worried that the Cragar rims just wouldn't be safe with the hp and tire I will be running (950 hp, 604 stroker hemi with cross ram, and 14" slicks). Even modifying them, with bolts ran through the bell, as LiteWeight has suggested, they don't want to take the chance. A shame, since I had just bought a new set of Cragars and slicks. I still have a really nice set of SuperTricks that my car came with, but I really wanted a "1960's" look; not a "1970's" (or later) look. Any suggestions? I thought about just running plain black wide steelies, since my current paint scheme is the original primer gray and black...
Easy…set of lightweight tires and contemporary racing rims for the track. old school for the street and shows.
marfen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #5100
SSSwede

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Thanks for posting. Very interesting indeed…

Since the engine compartment is painted black, (pictures above) and warranty disclaimer decal is put on, I want to think car will not return to the paint boot, and will be delivered this way.
I always thought door jambs were painted black as well, but I dug out this early pic of Landy´s auto Dart showing maybe this wasn´t the case. Or maybe some were painted black and some were in primer… on the other hand, I have never see any signs in old pics, of black paint anywhere inside the car. So it makes sense door jambs were left in primer too.

Second pic is of the same car, and how we are used to see them.

I also come to think of the Vanke Barracuda, restored by Hodge Restorations a few years ago. Car has door jambs in primer, and probably for a reason…

As for the paper on the hump of the BO29 shown above, my guess is it is the hand written “build check sheet”.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	landy auto.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	430.3 KB
ID:	43977   Click image for larger version

Name:	landy auto black.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	337.4 KB
ID:	43978  
SSSwede is offline   Reply With Quote