HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-02-2010, 10:32 AM   #11
Pat6868

Liked 66 Times in 21 Posts
Default Re: Why did nhra change the cam and valve spring rule in 1985?

If you check out the rules for IHRA pure stock you find a class thats in line with the original intention of stock eliminator. A person can put together a competitve car for a lot less money. If rules are enforced theres no problem. As far as reliability, while I don't race as much as most, my 327 has been in the car for 5 years without freshening and only minor repairs and still runs the number. Pat
Pat6868 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #12
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casey Miles View Post
NHRA told the prostock teams "NO EXOTIC MATERIALS IN THE ENGINES" , why is it allowed in stock eliminator? Schubeck lifters are made from an exotic material the last time I looked. You can't buy them at any local auto parts store that I know of.
NHRA doesn't want to do their job on policing rules and for that matter what we pay for from them when we buy our memberships. NHRA is streamlining for their benefit not to have to enforce rules that should have been kept up with, like valve spring pressures. The cars in stock would not be running 1.0 under if the valve spring pressures where set to factory spec. for sure. The valve spring spec on my 302 engine was 96 lbs on the seat and 204 lbs open pressure, no way could you get the motor to 8k rpm. Now, they are changing gears at 8200 rpm.
My vote is to go back to enforcing an across the board valve spring pressure so that you have to use stock (buy in any auto parts store) lifters again.

Casey Miles
248H
An across the board number is no better than what you have now. Heavier valves need more spring pressure to control the valve. If you went back to using the specs that would be more equitable. But still not perfect.
Old 07-02-2010, 10:46 AM   #13
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

You guys need to get a TIME MACHINE...
They make the rules as you go along.
Old 07-02-2010, 11:14 AM   #14
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

The problem is that they change the rules as they go along. Instead of ***** footing around, why not allow roller cams to match the newer engines with roller cams and also fuel injection while we are at it. Did I also miss crank trigger?
The rules in stock, should be stock and not with all the after market parts that don't belong. I like it to see someone squeeze out HP with limited parts to their disposal, with controlled regulations and not just put in (full advantage) after market parts that they find on the shelf. I'm sure most of the time, NHRA will accept parts, if we pitch a bitch enough about how hard it is to get originals even if their are plenty of those originals still around.

Casey Miles
248H
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 11:32 AM   #15
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Cool Re: Why did nhra change the cam and valve spring rule in 1985?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat6868 View Post
If you check out the rules for IHRA pure stock you find a class thats in line with the original intention of stock eliminator. A person can put together a competitve car for a lot less money. If rules are enforced theres no problem. As far as reliability, while I don't race as much as most, my 327 has been in the car for 5 years without freshening and only minor repairs and still runs the number. Pat
I wrote the rules for pure stock.....the problem is the enforcement of the rules.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:25 PM   #16
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

[QUOTE=X-TECH MAN;195663] That would eliminate just about every NHRA car that wanted to cross over and the car counts are low enough already.

I think that you'll find that NHRA doesn't want Stockers "crossing over" to SS!

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 01:37 PM   #17
X-TECH MAN
Banned

[QUOTE=Billy Nees;195742]
Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
That would eliminate just about every NHRA car that wanted to cross over and the car counts are low enough already.

I think that you'll find that NHRA doesn't want Stockers "crossing over" to SS!
I meant if the NHRA stockers wanted to run IHRA stock....... If IHRA changed the valve spring rule to a max seat and open pressure for stock IHRA would loose ALL of the NHRA stockers wishing to race with them unless they ran S/S because of the NEW valve spring pressure rule. .

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 07-02-2010 at 01:56 PM.
Old 07-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #18
Dwight Southerland
VIP Member

Liked 724 Times in 177 Posts

I am with you guys on this one. The current valve spring rule was the most expensive hit NHRA has done to Stock Eliminator racers. I agree with you, Terry, that if they would set a max of say 135-140lbs on the seat and 350 or so at .500" compression the cost of an engine would decrease, the reliability and down-time would increase and the smart guys would have another avenue to snooker people with.

If someone would start a referendum, maybe we could exert some pressure on them. Lots of people would benefit.
Dwight Southerland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #19
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Smile Re: Why did nhra change the cam and valve spring rule in 1985?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight Southerland View Post
I am with you guys on this one. The current valve spring rule was the most expensive hit NHRA has done to Stock Eliminator racers. I agree with you, Terry, that if they would set a max of say 135-140lbs on the seat and 350 or so at .500" compression the cost of an engine would decrease, the reliability and down-time would increase and the smart guys would have another avenue to snooker people with.

If someone would start a referendum, maybe we could exert some pressure on them. Lots of people would benefit.
Thank you.......RPM is the main killer and cause for expense not to mention all of the other "Stuff" that is being done to take advantage ot the RPM ranges the stockers are being run in today,
Old 07-02-2010, 02:34 PM   #20
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

You guys are forgetting the fact that many of the current crop of racers would have trouble just getting the valve covers off. Forget about monitoring spring pressure.
Not banging on anyone in particular. That's just a fact of life.