HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 03-06-2017, 06:25 PM   #21
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: HP Reduction Request

Interesting discussion if you are continually trying to find a "new" Dime rocket. I am not sure how creating more low hp rated combinations increases participation except experienced guys can keep qualifying #1 with more and more un heard of combinations. trucks, turbo vans etc.
If the plan is to lower costs to attract new blood increase the restrictions on the Motors. Create a sealed motor class. Limit the amount it takes to create a base line can which can be run in Stock or SS.
Allow pure stock cars in eliminator would be quicker way to increase participation.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:02 PM   #22
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Dick, it's not just the next "Dime Rocket. Stock Eliminator, whether we like it or not, is by and large a Nostalgia class today. What harm is there in dropping the HP factors on ALL of the older combos (think what NHRA did for the 383s and 426s) so that if somebody wants to build a 389 tri-carb GTO or Olds or 348/409 Chevy they can and at least be somewhat competitive?

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 08:11 PM   #23
Mike Jones
VIP Member

Liked 660 Times in 283 Posts

Oldskool asked: So, that brings up a question which should be in line with this thread. For most GM carb engines, 350 cubes & bigger, aprox how much less power is possible when only a 2-barrel is allowed ?
Q-jet to a 2GC was -.5 or so, for me

I wish they would give Ray Whitney some HP help
1962 Chevy wagon 409/425 4 speed, struggles to run the index in G/S
Everybody loves the car, and what would it hurt?

Mike A114
P/SA
Mike Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 09:15 PM   #24
Timetraveler

Liked 12 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Honestly, from the perspective of someone on the outside looking in, Most current racers in the bracket classes don't understand class racing AT ALL. I was surprised when I asked questions about S/SS how many racers couldn't tell me the first thing about them. Now the people that do run the class, well they aren't talking either because they aren't giving away any secrets. Case in point, I have a 2005 GTO I could run as an 04 and probably be moderately competitive, now there isn't many of these out there but first on the agenda would be a solid axle swap, when I contacted people involved with the current cars in the class I got vague answers and a "no pictures" reply. Now I get it for sure, but it sure makes me think a S/G car might be looking good at this point. Also... and this is a big one, completely take away the cost of the car and look at the cost to get there, race, then get home plus the time off work, let alone the countless hours to hone the combo, I can easily see how these classes would be unobtainable to most.
If you want information on stock combinations go to a division or national meet and spend some time with the people who run your combination. I think you will be surprised at how much they are willing to help. I remember one time I was racing at a national meet and my Carter fuel pump quit. I caught hell from the guy next to me for not running a Holley. After he helped me put on a spare that he had he told me to run the same thing that the rest of the stockers ran and I would never have to worry about not having parts.
Timetraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 11:14 PM   #25
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,957 Times in 492 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timetraveler View Post
If you want information on stock combinations go to a division or national meet and spend some time with the people who run your combination. I think you will be surprised at how much they are willing to help. I remember one time I was racing at a national meet and my Carter fuel pump quit. I caught hell from the guy next to me for not running a Holley. After he helped me put on a spare that he had he told me to run the same thing that the rest of the stockers ran and I would never have to worry about not having parts.
Great info, thanks. Haven't started running class yet, maybe next year.
Nmbr1GMfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:23 AM   #26
Gordie Kissner

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

I applaud your efforts Billy, Dwight and Mark! I do believe it would bring more affordable,unique and hopefully competitive combinations out of the back corners of barns/shops/garages to the track.

Here in the NW there are still good affordable 70's-80's cars that pop up regularly for sale. Thanks to Dwight's site its pretty easy to determine how competitive a combination might be.

I have a brother who has always been a bracket racer kicking around the idea of getting into class racing..and my 12yr old son and I are already working on a U/SA starter combination for him..and that 318-2bbl from the late 70's needs all the help it can get! Good thing there's a 4bbl version as an option down the road! lol
Gordie Kissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 02:35 AM   #27
Gordie Kissner

Liked 16 Times in 8 Posts

Quote:
I wish they would give Ray Whitney some HP help
1962 Chevy wagon 409/425 4 speed, struggles to run the index in G/S
Everybody loves the car, and what would it hurt?

Mike A114
P/SA

And I absolulely agree with this for any older combinations to get more of them out to the track..especially 1965 and older!
Gordie Kissner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 03:53 AM   #28
John Duzac

Liked 85 Times in 20 Posts

I run a 67 Camaro with a 302 engine, which is rated at 290 h.p. From the factory. This engine is now rated at 309 h.p. Some combinations have had a reduction of 63 h.p. And it makes me wonder how on earth can any combo have their factory h.p. Reduced that much. It makes me wonder if some folks in Glendora are smoking crack! I can understand a 10 or 12 h.p. Reduction. But 63 hp! That's a bit much. There are guys that run the 302 combination that actually need a reduction in the 309 h.p. rating. I'd love to have 10 h.p. Taken off my combo. That's never going to happen. When we built the car, we did everything humanly possible to make it weigh as little as possible. I can get below the minimum weight in D/S. I cannot get below the C/S minimum weight to take advantage of any h.p. Reduction should that ever happen. Farmer Desmuke would roll over in his grave if he knew about the B.S. That's going on with N.H.R.A. As far as the factoring system, the 302 is carrying h.p. From Tony Pizzi when he ran a 1968 Camaro back in 1969. I was responsible for a 4 h.p. hit from 2009. That 4 h.p. Hurt. Think about a 63 h.p. Reduction and how much it would help. There is no way taking that much h.p. Off a combo can be justified.

Last edited by John Duzac; 03-07-2017 at 03:58 AM.
John Duzac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2017, 05:03 AM   #29
Dave Noll

Liked 217 Times in 104 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nmbr1GMfan View Post
Did you come from another class Dave or did you jump right in the stock pool?
Bracket raced mostly street cars. I did not buy an existing Stocker. I am building it myself.
Old 03-07-2017, 07:59 AM   #30
GTOMayhem

Liked 22 Times in 14 Posts

Gordie, you have a PM.

Rick Thomason
GTOMayhem
GTOMayhem is offline   Reply With Quote