HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Garage Tech

Old 04-01-2018, 10:43 PM   #1
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts
Default Replacement parts

Has anyone out there noticed that the quality of; re-built or new parts is just not like it used to be. These are name brand parts from quality dealers. Things like: wheel cylinders that are not machined properly, brake boosters that leak vacume, headers that yout can't get the mounting bolts in, alternators that are weak,and my favorite, a 4 corner idle carb that comes with a 2 corner idle throttle body.I try to buy the best things that I can, just getting tired of fixing new stuff. The carb has become the best one I have ever had thanks to a Quick Fuel throttle body. Thanks for reading, John Kissel K242
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 02:54 PM   #2
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 430 Times in 142 Posts
Default Re: Replacement parts

I agree and have also noticed aftermarket tonneau covers, grille guards, tube steps, truck tool boxes etc are name brand yet lacking quality. Fitment often poor, workmanship appears unfinished at times etc ... The prices keep going up and often the quality going in the other direction. Many speed parts need modification just to fit properly, like oil pans, headers, even had spark plugs that were not grooved and should have been. A couple new lug nuts with no threads what so ever ... Oops!
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2018, 03:49 PM   #3
Bob Mulry
VIP Member

Liked 315 Times in 100 Posts

In the Machine Shops they used to have a scrap barrel, that if a part was out of tolerance the machinist chucked it into the scrap barrel and made a new part that pass inspection before it left his machine.

Now they have eliminated the scrap barrel and will ship out anything. We noticed this starting to happen about 20 years ago and it has only gotten worse.

Everything from engine bearings to windshield wiper blades doesn’t fit.

Because in shipping out their scrap parts they might slide a couple through and have the end user pay the price...

QC inspection has been dead for a long time..
Old 04-02-2018, 07:28 PM   #4
pmrphil

Liked 237 Times in 101 Posts

Q.C.? Seems it's getting to be a thing of the past. Just opened a set of rockers to find one of the pushrod cups has NO hole in it. Solid. And everybody thinks I'm nuts for double-checking everything.
Old 04-08-2018, 08:19 PM   #5
MikeMoller

Liked 242 Times in 72 Posts

I know one of the big chains that bought another chain(the purchased chain had better parts) and I asked a regional manager how the merge was going. He stated it was going well, they were able to put their parts in the purchased chains boxes-more profit. I imagine customers will eventually figure it out.
Old 06-29-2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Carguy49
VIP Member

Liked 2,190 Times in 589 Posts

Quality control, along with customer service is going away rapidly. It is hard to find a parts guy or gal that actually knows what you want. If it's not in the computer, they can't help you. I am, of course, referring to the local parts houses.

I totally agree that if you do buy parts, check them for fit. They may, or may not be the right ones.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:27 AM   #7
John Kissel

Liked 232 Times in 94 Posts

Dorman window regulator with motor #741-674 '95 F-150 driver side, wires reversed in the pigtail. Up is down & down is up. Had to reverse wires at the switch. Gotta' love them chikneese parts. John Kissel
John Kissel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 04:13 PM   #8
RobbieRacer

Liked 116 Times in 40 Posts

Got a box of new spark plugs, one of the plugs had no threads! Press fit for a stripped hole I guess.
Liked
Old 11-03-2018, 12:44 PM   #9
Project 392

Liked 24 Times in 14 Posts

I found an Autolite plug like that in 1968. Think it's still floating around in one of the tool boxes.

Victor in Kingman
Project 392 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:35 PM   #10
voltdr

Liked 87 Times in 47 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Kissel View Post
Dorman window regulator with motor #741-674 '95 F-150 driver side, wires reversed in the pigtail. Up is down & down is up. Had to reverse wires at the switch. Gotta' love them chikneese parts. John Kissel
I had this happen on an MSD extension cable for a crank trigger. I sent the pic to MSD, they confirmed that I should swap the wires. I don't think they (companies) do it on purpose but....................
Dan