HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 05-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #11
mike britt

Liked 43 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Crankcase Pressure

Secondary air injection, and as Glenn pointed out, not legal for stock.
mike britt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 09:40 AM   #12
Bobby Fazio
VIP Member

Liked 3,449 Times in 420 Posts

I only have one breather on the passenger side of my 5.0 and no breather on the driver side valve cover. Difficult to get anything to fit on drivers side valve cover because upper plenum is in the way. I have tried open breather and have tried connecting it to the throttle body like factory. I also have the PCV valve coming out the back of the block and have tried sending that to the throttle body, sending it to the upper plenum, and just plain blocking it off. I still haven't figured out the best scenario for a stocker and I still burn some oil occasionally. Leakdown shows up fine. At the risk of sounding like a fool, are you supposed to block off PCV when you run breathers or can you run breathers along with pcv? I'm thinking that sending unmetered air back into an EFI system without the computer knowing may not be as good as a Carb system.
Old 07-10-2016, 12:22 PM   #13
Eman

Liked 100 Times in 57 Posts

PCV system always has a way to breathe. it pulls fresh air in thru the breather as it pulls fumes/pressure out of the engine into the manifold/plenum. Factory the breather tube goes to the air filter so it always gets clean air.
Eman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 08:38 AM   #14
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
My low buck solution and legal...

Apparently you can't run a Dart block in stock.......because this would be pointless if you could.
The Dart block vents the crankcase through "slots" in the lifter galley like the big blocks do.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:05 AM   #15
Bobby DiDomenico

Liked 82 Times in 44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Fazio View Post
I only have one breather on the passenger side of my 5.0 and no breather on the driver side valve cover. Difficult to get anything to fit on drivers side valve cover because upper plenum is in the way. I have tried open breather and have tried connecting it to the throttle body like factory. I also have the PCV valve coming out the back of the block and have tried sending that to the throttle body, sending it to the upper plenum, and just plain blocking it off. I still haven't figured out the best scenario for a stocker and I still burn some oil occasionally. Leakdown shows up fine. At the risk of sounding like a fool, are you supposed to block off PCV when you run breathers or can you run breathers along with pcv? I'm thinking that sending unmetered air back into an EFI system without the computer knowing may not be as good as a Carb system.
Bobby, on a Buick Grand National the passenger side valve cover oil separator/breather is connected by hose to the turbo intake which is after the air flow meter. The PCV into the intake. IIRC there are two kinds of PCV valves, normally open and normally closed, depending on the system and their location in it. On a Boss 351 for example (I remember the valve having suction at idle) the drivers side valve cover is connected to the PCV valve and the passenger side to a little filter in the air cleaner. The system sucking thru the PCV at high vacuum/low rpm, at higher rpm that closing as intake vacuum drops and it then drawing vapors out thru the valve cover into the air cleaner to the carb. As long as you can keep oil away from the suction openings it should be OK?

Last edited by Bobby DiDomenico; 07-11-2016 at 09:36 AM.
Bobby DiDomenico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2016, 09:17 AM   #16
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Apparently you can't run a Dart block in stock.......because this would be pointless if you could.
The Dart block vents the crankcase through "slots" in the lifter galley like the big blocks do.
Joe - That would be assuming one would want/allow the oil to drain back directly over the crankshaft.
Old 07-11-2016, 09:34 AM   #17
joespanova

Quote:
Joe - That would be assuming one would want/allow the oil to drain back directly over the crankshaft.
You'd think Maskin and gang would be well aware of that.....myself . I want the oil to get back to the sump as quickly as possible.
I'll manage windage some other way........
Old 07-11-2016, 09:42 AM   #18
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
You'd think Maskin and gang would be well aware of that.....myself . I want the oil to get back to the sump as quickly as possible.
I'll manage windage some other way........
I'm no expert for sure, but I also don't have any Dart blocks lying about. It's my understanding that the Dart blocks oil differently and likely less oil up top to contend with. Using these old GM blocks my solution just seems to make sense to me.
Old 07-11-2016, 10:15 AM   #19
joespanova

Quote:
I'm no expert for sure, but I also don't have any Dart blocks lying about. It's my understanding that the Dart blocks oil differently and likely less oil up top to contend with. Using these old GM blocks my solution just seems to make sense to me.
What you did makes sense to me ..............on an OEM block , yes.
Old 07-11-2016, 01:21 PM   #20
pfordamx

Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts

Ok i'm assuming a header vac system isn't legal in stock either since no one has mentioned it? and it would seem a obvious answer.
pfordamx is offline   Reply With Quote