HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 10-11-2017, 09:55 AM   #1
crichards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default nhra w/sa

hey, I'm new to the forum and stock racing. I'm thinking about building a 1998 s10 4cyl for w/sa. if I'm right has to be a extended cab to meet 24.00 rule. the question is will that 4 cyl run good enough. is there a recommended engine shop and trans shop for this app. also if anybody recommends a better choice vehicle I'm open to all options. any help at all is appreciated. thanks
crichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:05 AM   #2
Steve Polhill

Liked 262 Times in 74 Posts
Default Re: nhra w/sa

The S-10's came with what we called the thrashing 2.5. Never looked to see what the HP#'s were on it.

Honestly I've always wondered about the 2.8/2.9L in the newer Canyon/Colorado's. We picked it for an Engine in comp because of the combustion chamber and Head flow #'s. I bet it would make a Fast Stocker. A pain to tear down due to the DOHC but fast.
Old 10-11-2017, 10:37 AM   #3
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Later S-10s had 2.2L motor. I don't know about them as "race" motors but other than some headgasket problems (aluminum head iron block), I always thought they were a pretty good motor. You can adjust the bodys up or down a class.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 10:52 AM   #4
Steve Polhill

Liked 262 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Later S-10s had 2.2L motor. I don't know about them as "race" motors but other than some headgasket problems (aluminum head iron block), I always thought they were a pretty good motor. You can adjust the bodys up or down a class.
ahh yes, the 2.2 was almost identical to the engine that cane in the cavaliers/sunfires
Old 10-11-2017, 11:23 AM   #5
crichards

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It has the 2.2 and heads and gaskets are a problem but there plenty out there. I think class min is 16.00 in 1/8 mile. Does it have to run that to race or faster then that for a record. I have raced lots of nitrous stuff and index like 6.0 and 4.70 but stock is all new and looks like a great challenge
crichards is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 11:59 AM   #6
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,730 Times in 1,512 Posts

Go to the top of this page. Click on NHRA competition icon. on the left side of the page under Tech, click on Rules. Familiarize yourself with the rules. Then go to Dwight Southerland's site, you can get to it from the classracer home page.

Make tech "TECH" again!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 12:25 PM   #7
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,411 Times in 1,682 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by crichards View Post
It has the 2.2 and heads and gaskets are a problem but there plenty out there. I think class min is 16.00 in 1/8 mile. Does it have to run that to race or faster then that for a record. I have raced lots of nitrous stuff and index like 6.0 and 4.70 but stock is all new and looks like a great challenge
HP is too high, IMO.
It got hit 5 when the truck indexes were soft.
Rather see you build an 82 Firebird/ Camaro for W/SA ..Bigger engine, less HP.Still fuel injection.
You have to dial 16.65 or faster in the quarter mile. Don't know where you can run S/SS in the 1/8th.
Should be able to budget build one to run .65 under. Cam blanks, header parts, trans cases readily available.
Can't recommend an engine/ trans builder near you until you fill out your profile more completely.