HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock

Old 12-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #41
boster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show

This is an easy problem to solve if we all just let NHRA no that as racers we all agree to let the older cars upgrade their motors to run with the new cars . Better heads , bigger cams , lighter after market cranks , new carbs , spec blowers

or

Weight reductions are all ready given in comp and top sportsman for trans type, n20 vs none n20 , big block vs sm block . Any car 5 -10 years old 100lbs , 11-20 years old 200lbs , 30 plus years old 300lbs . These are easy solutions as mentioned by others

We could fix this and all the cars could run faster if they wanted . You can't hold the new cars back but you can bring the old cars forward with some simple changes

Someone start a petition on the weight break rule , or the part rule I will sign up and I own 2 new cars

Take 300lbs out of John Armstrong's vette and he runs 8.30 just like the CJ and I'm all for it

The parts rule might even bring in more money to class racing from parts companys
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #42
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: GM Releases 2013 bogus HP ratings at PRI show

What's pretty interesting to me is do the racers building/buying these new cars think the NHRA won't in the future accept cars that make their current 100-200K investment obsolete?

What's not to say in another 5-10 years Honda or Toyota becomes the official car of the NHRA and submits ringers with way underfactored combos that puts the current new cars at a disadvantage like the older cars face now?

Maybe people don't think this far ahead, I dunno. Or maybe some are okay with building new cars every few years to take advantage of the favorable hp factors.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
With NHRA allowing this, it proves one thing. They do not care if everyone with a car 15 years or older goes away. The NHRA upper management wants the manufacturer money, and could care less about us. The clock is ticking for us. We either go out and get slaughtered in heads up racing, or just go away and find another outlet for our money.
This can't mean anything but that. Almost makes you want to ignore the rules when racing against one of these new cars. Just not to lay down for the guys that race these cars. Nobody who is alowing this, cares about fairness and equaility of all the racers regardless of what cars they race or how old they are. Sad times indeed
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #43
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Just seems like nobody in Glendora cares ever since Wally died.
It's all about greed. Sad

Last edited by ALMACK; 12-02-2012 at 12:19 PM.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:16 PM   #44
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charley Downing View Post
Bottom line old cars don't sell new cars and new parts.
It's very easy to understand
Charley with all do respect the win on Sunday sell on Monday went by the way side in the early '70's. I love the new CJ's but I don't believe Ford has seen a measurable increase of sales that they could truly credit the CJ's for... Now, sure the aftermarket parts will always be there for all the hot rodders but again I don't believe Ford has seen a measurable increase in sales of aftermarket parts that they could solely credit the CJ's for... Other than the CJ only items that guys are buying to build their BIW cars with. So lets say there are 100 BIW builds taking place. In the grand scheme of things that's not a drop in the bucket to justify a corporate move one way or the other... other than the marketing side of it. Don't get me wrong I don't blame the manufactures or the car owners as I actually had a '13 CJ Competition Kit on order but cancelled it at the last minute. Again I think the cars are cool and I like seeing the factory involvement in our class but I'm waiting to see how NHRA handles these GM motors in question to see if they hold GM to the same standard they held Ford on the 5.0 motors.

Last edited by 69Cobra; 12-02-2012 at 12:28 PM.
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #45
69Cobra

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Hoven View Post
Kris, that was just the fustration speaking thats all. If the guy your are racing redlights and they find whatever you do to pick up for that race, you are branded as a cheater. For me its not worth it. I have to much respect for the people I race against to do that. The best thing to do is make yoiur car as fast as possible, and when you race these guys run as close to the 1.00 mark as you can. loose the battle but try to win the war as they say.
It would be nice if these cars were only 2 to 3 tenths faster then us, not 7 or 8 in bracket mode. Best thing is to build your combo and go out and race. We still have a great sport and great people that we are privliged to race with. Im looking forward to going out and banging gears and working on my car to make it the best I can. We never know what tomorrow will bring.
Todd you are correct it is the frustration talking but like you say if it were only 2 or 3 tenths.
69Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 12:29 PM   #46
Michael Kilduff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

All of that, even losing hundreds of pounds for many, costs a lot of money.

Simple solution is to put the 'new' cars in their own class, maybe make cars 15 years old or older in a 'nostalgia' class.

The NHRA could really work some of this to their advantage. There seems to be more fan interest in SS/AH than any other class and NHRA announcers do talk up a lot of the older cars because of fan interest, among other things. The really neat thing, from a fans perspective, is that Stock and Super Stock are racing categories that are also a car show. Where else do '55 Chevys and '69 Mustangs and New Muscle compete against each other? Very suprised the NHRA hasn't figured out a way to capitalize on this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by boster View Post
This is an easy problem to solve if we all just let NHRA no that as racers we all agree to let the older cars upgrade their motors to run with the new cars . Better heads , bigger cams , lighter after market cranks , new carbs , spec blowers

or

Weight reductions are all ready given in comp and top sportsman for trans type, n20 vs none n20 , big block vs sm block . Any car 5 -10 years old 100lbs , 11-20 years old 200lbs , 30 plus years old 300lbs . These are easy solutions as mentioned by others

We could fix this and all the cars could run faster if they wanted . You can't hold the new cars back but you can bring the old cars forward with some simple changes

Someone start a petition on the weight break rule , or the part rule I will sign up and I own 2 new cars

Take 300lbs out of John Armstrong's vette and he runs 8.30 just like the CJ and I'm all for it

The parts rule might even bring in more money to class racing from parts companys
Old 12-02-2012, 12:57 PM   #47
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Why not just give the new cars realistic HP ratings, with all barrels wide open?
Old 12-02-2012, 01:36 PM   #48
D.Johns

Liked 17 Times in 6 Posts

Lets look on the bright side. With this constant development of new products there must be a demand to warrant the investment and offers a decent ROI.
2014 Cobra Jet FS/XX #3345 STK/SS

Like us on http://www.facebook.com/pages/Daniel...25886327426822
D.Johns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2012, 02:00 PM   #49
Andrew Hill

Liked 170 Times in 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Why not just give the new cars realistic HP ratings, with all barrels wide open?
It's so simple, it couldn't possibly work!
Old 12-02-2012, 02:13 PM   #50
ALMACK
VIP Member

Liked 324 Times in 116 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
Because sales of the new CJs, and COPOs would come to a halt.
ALMACK is offline   Reply With Quote