HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 06-01-2016, 08:53 AM   #21
joespanova

Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Default Re: Vac pump destruction / mystery

OK...........I understand your "timing" points. I've run less , but it does in fact , fall off..................just for shyts and giggles I'll pull it down to 34 and see what happens........
Besides all this........I have to follow up with this closing comment.
I made the mistake of using the Brad Penn BREAK IN oil to make initial passes down the track ( 5 ) , no one ever warned me or told me otherwise..........call me a dumazz if you want , but I did, and I learned the hard way. My INTENTION WAS , run it a few times and change it.
Now , I know that was wrong..................perhaps the vac pump isn't the problem now , after all. I actually called Brad Penn and talked with "Ken?"
anyway he slammed me for doing that , so did my "old machinist" I use.......LOL
And Adger Smith made references to this as well.......the older I get , the dumber I still am........doubt timing contributed.
joespanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:20 AM   #22
buzzinhalfdozen

Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts

I've personally made many passes with BP breakin oil in my engine, never had an issue with mine or the several engines I've freshened for other racers. Not sure that theory holds water, however the timing advice sounds like a likely cause. Hope you find it. BTW on the engines I've done for other folks , with a wet sump and vacuum pump I "request" they not pull more than 10 inches. That number is NOT a result of much R&D merely going off the condition of engines at tear down with a known amount of vacuum.

Last edited by buzzinhalfdozen; 06-01-2016 at 09:25 AM.
buzzinhalfdozen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:36 AM   #23
ScottHall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

JOESPANOVA,

I believe I have the answers you are looking for, and it would much easier to talk to you over the phone, and then post what we concluded.

If you would like to, please call me at Moroso at 203-689-4010

Thanks,

Scott Hall
ScottHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 09:38 AM   #24
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottHall View Post
JOESPANOVA,

I believe I have the answers you are looking for, and it would much easier to talk to you over the phone, and then post what we concluded.

If you would like to, please call me at Moroso at 203-689-4010

Thanks,

Scott Hall
Will do.....today.
Old 06-01-2016, 10:05 AM   #25
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Biebel View Post
Can you verify that oil pressure is never lost during a run ? You could use a go-pro camera and focus on the gauge....poor mans Racepack...
Did you ever consider using an Accusump...to help maintain pressure in case it drops?

Timing is to high and could be knocking the bottom end out of it...detonation as Bill C. mentioned will kill any engine...
No reason to be that high...... a small cube engine with giant domes in small chambered heads in a heavy car might like 40-42 degrees but not for long if it detonates...

That engine sounds like an old school modified engine.....2-660 carbs....

8800 rpm is a lot......and hopefully has titanium valves and the best valve train pieces to be reliable....
I have a warning light if it drops below 20lbs.........C-12 and 14-1 and 39-40 degrees, I would think that's within some range of "acceptable limits"?
Steel valves here...............Comp 944 springs seem to get the job done.
Absolutely I've considered an Accusump......SS guys on this very forum suggest I don't need one
Old 06-01-2016, 10:57 AM   #26
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 400 Times in 191 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
Ya' know............I've had more oil starvation problems in the last few years than probably 10-20 guys combined.
Lost 2 engines in 15 years....meaning blocks and some other hardware.
Even now , with my new Dart block , the main AND rod bearings look like sheeeot........... Nothing is damaged but the bearings will have to be replaced. I currently have a new Lunati crank.........this is no cheapo' either.
The one common denominator in every engine has been the vac pump.
I currently use a STD. volume "Moroso" melling OEM style pump ( modified by Moroso ) and a new pan. But it doesnt matter what I use.......I still have oiling problems.
Bearing clearances are .0025- .003 ( thats not per side , thats total ).
The vac pump with the regulator "out of the box" regulated down to the lowest setting still pulls 15" in high gear thru the lights. I've read on other web sites " Yellow Bullet" where plenty of guys are running 18-20 inches ( all wet sumps ) and not having issues. External pumps , accumulators......I have no idea......but I don't believe they all are. How they are getting away with that is beyond me.
Soooo............the vac pump must go. Its effectiveness ( if any ) is being waaay over shadowed by the destruction it causes. If I drop it down to say 10 inches......I would be just as well off using crankcase vents.Super Stock engines can't even use them.........apparently they innovate some creative PVC system .......but I was concerned that would introduce some oil into the intake.......so , I'm not doing that. RPM range is 87-8800.
Can I hear some opinions on this ?
My engine builders would say your vacuum is too high.

Quote:
Originally Posted by joespanova View Post
I made the mistake of using the Brad Penn BREAK IN oil to make initial passes down the track ( 5 ) , no one ever warned me or told me otherwise..........call me a dumazz if you want , but I did, and I learned the hard way. My INTENTION WAS , run it a few times and change it.
Now , I know that was wrong
dumazz

That said, making passes on break in oil is not your issue, many have including myself though not on brad penn, personally I would never use it, don't like what I've seen come out of friend's engines who run it. I've broken it using Joe Gibbs or Lucas and run Mobil 1 in my race engines for the past 25 years.

Otherwise, hope all is well.

Last edited by 1320racer; 06-01-2016 at 11:03 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 11:14 AM   #27
joespanova

Smile Re: Vac pump destruction / mystery

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
My engine builders would say your vacuum is too high.

dumazz

That said, making passes on break in oil is not your issue, many have including myself though not on brad penn, personally I would never use it, don't like what I've seen come out of friend's engines who run it. I've broken it using Joe Gibbs or Lucas and run Mobil 1 in my race engines for the past 25 years.

Otherwise, hope all is well.
Ed , at this point..........I don't even know if I want it (BP break in ) anywhere NEAR my oil pan...... LOL
Actually ......I'll probably go back to what worked in the past.........I've been in this thing waay too much in the last 4-5 months......
I'm sure BP is fine ..........just that now I'm tired of f'in around and need to get back to havin' fun. Hope this new Bullet cam gets me in the thirties...........
Old 06-01-2016, 11:22 AM   #28
1320racer
VIP Member

Joe, my suggestion is talk to national known and proven engine builders for advice/guidance.

Maybe even better is to post your issue here...

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/80760912

and if FastBuick doesn't reply, shoot him a PM.

He is a competitor at my home track, running a high rpm small block turning 9.40s off the footbrake, on the hill in 4000 foot air which should be 9.20s at a sea level track. I don't know specifics about his combo.
Old 06-01-2016, 11:35 AM   #29
joespanova

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Joe, my suggestion is talk to national known and proven engine builders for advice/guidance.

Maybe even better is to post your issue here...

http://drr.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/frm/f/80760912

and if FastBuick doesn't reply, shoot him a PM.

He is a competitor at my home track, running a high rpm small block turning 9.40s off the footbrake, on the hill in 4000 foot air which should be 9.20s at a sea level track. I don't know specifics about his combo.
Thanks
Old 06-01-2016, 11:53 AM   #30
1320racer
VIP Member

I suggest you title the post "High RPM small block"