HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 04-11-2018, 02:35 PM   #21
Jeff Dona SS3269

Liked 54 Times in 8 Posts
Default Re: Jones Head - Racers Only

Eric I believe and many others that I have spoken with believe that giving you a engine builder a raw head to sell to all the other cly head / engine builders will open the door for a lot of speculation on wether they are getting the same head that you may or may not be using on your own engines. I’m not lashing out at you personally but if engine builder x did the same thing wouldn’t you be wondering and speculating if your getting the same spark plug height, seat and guide location, material left in areas to work with the list of things could go on for days. I personally think this machining process should be left to the manufacturer. At this point there are 4 heads available to use that I’m aware of why do we need to keep adding more. Like I said before this is nothing against you personally it’s just my opinion and the opinion of many others. You know this will open the box for everyone to do the same thing and nhra won’t be able turn them away so it’s like opening up pandoras box’s. Jeff Dona
Jeff Dona SS3269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 02:49 PM   #22
Jeff Dona SS3269

One other thing I don’t understand is how these replacement heads only carry a 5 hp penalty when they are given several more ccs than than the factory head has. I know that’s the way they were excepted in the past but why keep doing it fix it! My lt1 combo gets 10 hp for basically the same head just better material that the seat don’t fall out of. Sorry to get off track but this is a unfair issue.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:06 PM   #23
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts

Sounds like SS is becoming more NASCAR

Stock/SS Components are failing as the rules allow more power.

Then NHRA introduces a fix which stretches the rules further.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 03:25 PM   #24
Erik Jones

Liked 48 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dona SS3269 View Post
Eric I believe and many others that I have spoken with believe that giving you a engine builder a raw head to sell to all the other cly head / engine builders will open the door for a lot of speculation on wether they are getting the same head that you may or may not be using on your own engines. I’m not lashing out at you personally but if engine builder x did the same thing wouldn’t you be wondering and speculating if your getting the same spark plug height, seat and guide location, material left in areas to work with the list of things could go on for days. I personally think this machining process should be left to the manufacturer. At this point there are 4 heads available to use that I’m aware of why do we need to keep adding more. Like I said before this is nothing against you personally it’s just my opinion and the opinion of many others. You know this will open the box for everyone to do the same thing and nhra won’t be able turn them away so it’s like opening up pandoras box’s. Jeff Dona
Jeff

You have a valid point... I don't think i need to answer for my integrity, my customers and people who have worked with me know where i stand on rules and being thrown into a certain group of people. I have worked hard to get where i am and i have no intention of tarnishing my reputation and losing what i have.

To answer your question as to what i would do if another Cylinder Head/ Engine builder did this same thing would i question what i was getting. My honest answer is no. When i start a project i have a goal in mind and how ever i end up at that within the confines of our rule book is what i do. One of the biggest discussions i have with my customers is the "Do what the rest are doing" I have never been that way and i will never go down that road. When i choose a part to start with i know what it will take and what i can get from it. I think the guys we are racing with do the same things, thats what makes Super Stock what it is.
Old 04-11-2018, 03:58 PM   #25
Jeff Dona SS3269

Eric I’m not questioning your integrity and your hard work speaks for itself but parts that are on the manufacturer excepted product list must be available to everyone as the are made to keep a even playing field. Jeff Dona
Old 04-11-2018, 04:53 PM   #26
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

delete

Last edited by Todd Hoven; 04-11-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: deleted
Todd Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 04:57 PM   #27
Todd Hoven
VIP Member

Liked 720 Times in 151 Posts

delete

Last edited by Todd Hoven; 04-11-2018 at 04:59 PM. Reason: deleted
Todd Hoven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2018, 05:24 PM   #28
Erik Jones

Liked 48 Times in 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Dona SS3269 View Post
Eric I’m not questioning your integrity and your hard work speaks for itself but parts that are on the manufacturer excepted product list must be available to everyone as the are made to keep a even playing field. Jeff Dona
Jeff

I think where people are missing this is Jones Engine Development is listed as the manufacturer. NHRA has on file the name of the foundry that casts the heads. This is what is referred to as "private label manufacturing". This works the same as the following.

GM Performance parts replacement heads are cast in a foundry in San Jacinto Ca that is not owned by GM. They are then machined to GM specs and sold as a GM part.

Mopar Performance heads are cast in the same foundry and follow the same procedure.

Mine are cast in a foundry in south gate and I machine the to follow what NHRA will accept.

Pistons Forgings are made by a Forge in Montebello Ca and sold to various piston manufactures as their forging, the same way that i do my replacement pistons.

This list of accepted products pretty much follows this same idea. 90% of the acceptance process is the machining operations and not the raw material. My heads are available to anyone who wants to buy them as approved by NHRA, this is exactly how the rest of the industry does it. I have to follow the same procedures as all of the companies on the accepted products list and sell them exactly how they were approved.
Old 04-11-2018, 06:54 PM   #29
Andys dad
VIP Member

Liked 175 Times in 78 Posts

I am hesitant to mention this because it was before you guys were born. I worked at King Engingines in Detroit racing my GT 3 car .. Bill developed a way to covert to angle plugs on SBCs. There was an article in Car Craft in 1970 about the process .. This is not new .. It was not an NHRA deal .. It was for circle track but the conversion was identicle .. It made more HP .. He sold many sets .. Good luck with this. .. Ron
Old 04-11-2018, 07:05 PM   #30
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,422 Times in 1,951 Posts

My dealings with Erik Jones have been good, everything he did checked within .2 of a cc of numbers he said it would be. My micrometer and his agree within .0002". Mr. Jones is a creative, skilled, tenacious, craftsman, that does excellent work, and provides value for for the moneys spent!

Larry Hill

383 A/SA
Larry Hill is online now   Reply With Quote