Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 07-29-2019, 08:30 PM   #1381
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Liked 1,958 Times in 493 Posts
Default Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by modelman1960 View Post
I continue to follow your efforts and even with all the tribulations you and Amber have had to deal with. My heart goes out to both of you. I'll tell you that it really brings back some memories of my youth with my Dad more than 50 years ago with a (then called) Jr. Stock eliminator 348 Impala.
We broke a number of parts before we made it to the strip. It was all trial and error for the 2 of us. I was 14 years old and 1 of my 1st lessons was the pistons only go in 1 way(to match the valve reliefs), and that was only the beginning. I praise and admire your perserverence, and ask that you just keep on trying. I look forward to all the updates. You are the 1st thread I check every morning. Thanks for reading.
God Bless,
Walt
I want to thank everyone for all the encouragement, one of the highlights of my day is to come here and share with like minded racers that help us learn and grow.
Walt, it's so cool that a project I share with my kid can bring back a positive memory from your childhood. I really enjoyed reading that.
Old 07-29-2019, 08:44 PM   #1382
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

We have parts ordered! Re-ordered the same crankshaft and set of rods, both seemed well machined and very consistent for parts on the cheaper end of the scale. Also ordered a new Dart block, the SHP version, if we're lucky maybe we'll get some parts this week. Boxed up some pistons and next dayed them back to Diamond so might hear something on that tomorrow then we'll get a new set in the works. I also took a couple rods out and pulled a main just to check the bearings to verify we did have a healthy one.

And this is one of my favorite carnage pics!
Old 07-29-2019, 09:00 PM   #1383
Jerry Terry

Liked 449 Times in 132 Posts
Thumbs up Re: H-I-J '76 Nova re-fit.

Wow it beat itself up pretty bad, you and your daughter hang in there its worth it in the end when you take that win light ! I think we all have been through this just don't get discouraged .
Jerry
Retired 3490 3492 Stk SS SST
Jerry Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2019, 09:24 PM   #1384
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Those are some great pictures Todd …. did make a bit of a mess.

Through your disassembly where you able to discover anything that could be a clue to the failure?

Glenn
Old 07-29-2019, 09:40 PM   #1385
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn Hayes View Post
Those are some great pictures Todd …. did make a bit of a mess.

Through your disassembly where you able to discover anything that could be a clue to the failure?

Glenn
Glenn, We know exactly what happened, why it happened is a bit of a mystery but we did send a few parts out to be examined that I hope will clear it up. We really need to know exactly why, so it doesn't happen again.
Old 07-29-2019, 11:19 PM   #1386
Dave Gantz

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

The car I was a partner on only ran a couple of tenths under. We still had fun. The biggest problem we had was a cam that wiped a lobe. We "only" had to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. (And of course, be comfortable that we were sure why it wiped the cam.) You're dealing with, and handling a lot more. Very safely, for certain, of course. :-)
Dave Gantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-29-2019, 11:44 PM   #1387
Nmbr1GMfan
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Gantz View Post
The car I was a partner on only ran a couple of tenths under. We still had fun. The biggest problem we had was a cam that wiped a lobe. We "only" had to disassemble, clean, and reassemble. (And of course, be comfortable that we were sure why it wiped the cam.) You're dealing with, and handling a lot more. Very safely, for certain, of course. :-)
Honestly Dave, It's been years since I've dealt with a flat tappet and I figured with all the lifter swaps, high spring rates and messing around it would give me issues but in the end a rod took it out so I guess another cam break-in is upcoming.
Old 07-30-2019, 12:58 PM   #1388
Dave Gantz

Liked 228 Times in 120 Posts

I should've made the point that even though we were only a couple tenths under (mostly because funds were limited), as others have said, we enjoyed working on it.

We built for a class that wasn't overly populated in our division, and also built a car that was capable of moving to different classes if the class got faster than our wallet thickness. lol We weren't there to set records, for sure, be we were able to go rounds on occasion.

Bottom line: What you both are going through is part of the fun, even though it can be really hard to see at times! Nothing worth while is easy. Cliche', but true.
Dave Gantz is online now   Reply With Quote
Liked
Old 07-30-2019, 02:44 PM   #1389
nickh

Liked 240 Times in 100 Posts

Todd pm sent.
nickh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 03:16 PM   #1390
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,488 Times in 1,704 Posts

Todd, Do you have a pic of the other five pistons?