HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-29-2017, 07:18 PM   #521
Everett Vassar

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Default Re: Crate Motor Class

As many here have said before. Stock isn't broke.Stock doesn't need fixing.participation at the div level is strong,and there are racers looking for spots open at every natl. Stocker racers aren't snobs. They are just proud of what they have built. They have really helped us. Did I EVER think I would have so much money in such a slow car? Hell no..but I'm past the pain now. ..so grab a credit card and get NHRA legal. ...we're waiting. ...
Everett Vassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 08:32 PM   #522
HR9121
Live Reporter

Liked 2,866 Times in 640 Posts

When I built my car everything around here was IHRA, I could basically run every division 9 race without leaving my state. Closest NHRA race at the time was Charlotte which is about 5 hours from me and ofcourse it was a National event so you had to go to a division race to be able to enter Charlotte, closest division race was Bristol at around 7 hours. Point is I didn't even consider building a CM car because of the reasons everyone has said plus the fact you were also limiting the people you could sale it to if you ever wanted to. Why go that far into a build and stop a couple thousand short of making it a car that could race anywhere.
I really do hate it for you guys I honestly do but to me it would be more of a slap in the face than the factory cars when they were introduced into the regular classes. I for one like many others will welcome anyone who comes out to race but you're going to need to switch your combo. If NHRA ever did approve these cars I would still welcome you all with open arms but I would probably be pissed lol.
Y'all say look at from your point of view but maybe you should do the same and look at from the point of view of the people who spent the money and went through the trouble of getting the hard to find parts.

Last edited by HR9121; 11-29-2017 at 08:36 PM.
HR9121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 09:03 PM   #523
Cdncarnut

Liked 44 Times in 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCamaro View Post
Regretfully i chose to respond to your first cherp as i should have treated as an advertisement on the page. Now here i am responding again. Your right Thomas NHRA doesnt have to pick me or any of the other classes. Now i want you to reverse the tables and im going to give you a little lesson on respect. Even if i didnt agree with you on this subject i would read and move on because if i didnt have a good comment to support my fellow racer that i race with every weekend i would rather say nothing. Because at this point your comments and chest beating about NHRA and your NHRA sole searching combo means jack squat and it definitly isnt going to help you when im rapping the throttle at 1000ft. Now go feed the cats and make me a sandwich too while the men talk here ok sweetie.
Tony, throwing at temper tantrum, like a two year old, and assaulting peoples' character, on a public forum, is not going to win you any support or make you any friends. All it does is show your lack of maturity.
I have been following this thread from the beginning and no one is interested in accommodating your IHRA combination or any other IHRA combination in the NHRA classes.
Someone has already pointed out what your options are. I am going to give you one more.
The NHRA has a process by which you can apply to have certain parts made legal for certain combinations. I suggest you try that route as you are flogging a dead horse here.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:15 PM   #524
racer1442

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

The reason I built an IHRA vehicle was an easy one at the time. Just over 11 years ago when I got my license. I wanted something to drive to high school with and race on the weekends. My options were pretty limited for availability in Ontario and for what my budget was being only 16. My cheapest option for something rear wheel drive that had or could easily be made V8, that was easily available, that wasn't junk or a fortune around here was my 96 S10. Immediately put a mild 350 in it and drove it to school and to the track on the weekends and ran bracekts. Did that for a couple years and wanted to go faster, so I made it a dedicated track vehicle and made some changes to go faster and continued running brackets. My dad has bracket raced since the late 70s and has always been a big follower of class racing. So I grew up loving to watch stk/ss at association races or nearby IHRA national events.

At the time we were surrounded by IHRA tracks with 2 national events within 1.5hrs and the closest NHRA national or divisional was 6+hrs away. With a local association, I wanted to run class badly so I looked at my options. Nothing against the 4.3 guys but after only driving it with the small block I didn't want to run a V6 so it wasn't going to be a natural stocker. Being entry level and just finishing an apprenticeship, Super Stock GT was out of my budget for just trying to get into class racing. For me the easiest thing I could do was piece together an affordable crate combination to get my feet wet. So thats what I did, slowly pieced together something over a couple of seasons and was able to make it work running a few tenths under.

I don't the have the unlimited budget like many do. I started racing my truck at 16 and with lots of help from my dad we built it to what it is today. I didn't want an import or run "street car" type racing, I wanted to run class. It was the easiest way for me to get into it. I could of stuck with just running regular brackets but its not what I wanted. So now I'm back to making decisions again. I either step up and run Super Stock GT or just go back to regular brackets. Being bit by the class bug I'll probably step up because I don't think I can ever get out of it now. I just wanted to share why I built what I did. It was the easiest way for me to get involved at an entry level for not being around the muscle car days.

Allen Sawicki
racer1442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 11:16 AM   #525
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Liked 180 Times in 110 Posts
Red face Re: Crate Motor Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrateCamaro View Post
Thanks for all your hard work! Maybe some day we wont be the black sheep of the herd. I cant believe how stubborn some people are when it comes to this stuff. Its the same as a traditional stocker with more HP, weight and if accepted 3 tenths off what the IHRA index was....so my stocker that will run .9 under is now .6 under....wow thats a huge threat on the qualifying sheet. Way less of a threat that any Copo or Drag Pack.
Thank you CrateCamaro...
You don't get things done by being a Wall Flower.
Keep pushing until you get results!

My Dad taught us about persistence, work, especially to think.
Passion to succeed came from inside if you were going to survive ...!
He had his horrible side too like too much alcohol, mean and abusive.
But had his kind days and kept an eye out for us.
Like a home to come too when times were bad..and they did get bad.
For some reason would never come to any of my races. That hurt !

Last Dec 10th he passed away..
It was a tough end of year celebration!
Somehow it makes you stronger!

FWIW we are having a Good Conversation !
To make it clear I have never bashed anyone or any Racing Body or Association.
Have been interceptive, professional and polite in my responses.
Unlike some of the rude comments I have received.

I deeply respect the all the Automotive Associations.
They work their butts off to give us a platform to race.
Especially Refereeing rules that racers seem to find a nuance to.

The evolution and cost of Stock Eliminator has gone nuts!
Nobody bashed Bill Nees when he built his Dime Racers.
Yet racers are bashing others because they find more sensible ways to race.

PS, CM, GT were good solutions to extend the life of Stock.
NHRA had to create FI and FS Classes to meet a need.
NHRA does not have to invent anything to on-board these classes.

Regardless, adding any of the Classes did not kill IHRA or NHRA.
Some bone headed decisions did not help.

The NUMBER ONE Reason why Racers did not run IHRA ???
IHRA ran at 1/8th mile tracks.
It was the number one complaint on Class Racer why IHRA events were not attended.
This exacerbated the decisions that IHRA decided to take to survive.

At the Mike Carr S/SS TriState Meet at Mason Dixon.
The Southern Bracket Association Bracket Racers were bitterly complaining about having to run 1/8th mile.
Seems to be a huge pattern of expectations.
Though nothing wrong running 1/8th mile.

The BOTTOM LINE
IHRA failed because racers did not defend their sport !

Dan

Last edited by Dan Fahey; 11-30-2017 at 11:29 AM.
Dan Fahey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 12:52 PM   #526
James Perrone
VIP Member

Liked 1,610 Times in 377 Posts

You 2 ain’t getting ****. Done.
I think you 2 have it all wrong. Your begging and pleading for a miracle yet you keep insulting the people that are Class Racers
Don’t need no pure stock or crates motor
Nhra has SS modified for you crate boy. Add weight to your SS car cause that’s what it is in Nhra
Delusional Dan work on your car. Buy a car.
By the way my mustard is Frenches yellow.Nothin fancy
Crate Boy. Maybe ask Santa for some help
Old 11-30-2017, 01:41 PM   #527
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

zzzzzzzzzzzz
Old 11-30-2017, 03:59 PM   #528
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

The number one reason I heard from guys not running IHRA was much reduced already lower purses for low car counts, which they always had. They had so few contingencies, most were for things most don't use. Winning, or just going rounds, did not pay what everyone was used to. Had to play musical decals. It was still 1/4 mile IHRA races around here when I quit going. I tried to run both a few years ago. Officials were very friendly, tech was pretty lax. Small rubber checks did it for me.

And, other than some bracket racers, few guys like 1/8th mile racing.
Old 12-01-2017, 10:07 AM   #529
Dan Fahey
VIP Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Wright View Post
The number one reason I heard from guys not running IHRA was much reduced already lower purses for low car counts, which they always had. They had so few contingencies, most were for things most don't use. Winning, or just going rounds, did not pay what everyone was used to. Had to play musical decals. It was still 1/4 mile IHRA races around here when I quit going. I tried to run both a few years ago. Officials were very friendly, tech was pretty lax. Small rubber checks did it for me.

And, other than some bracket racers, few guys like 1/8th mile racing.
ED on these very posts.
Racers posted often and outright they would not race 1/8th mile.
AND do understand. Even I prefer 1/4 mile.
Speaking for myself never experienced a rubber check from any racing association.

D
Old 12-01-2017, 11:03 AM   #530
GUMP
VIP Member

Liked 1,732 Times in 418 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Fahey View Post
Racers posted often and outright they would not race 1/8th mile.
But, those guys weren't racing IHRA anyway. Back when I was running IHRA the car counts were always pretty good in Division 9. In my opinion the IHRA made too many changes that made the bracket racers happy and ran off the class racers.
GUMP is offline   Reply With Quote