HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock

Old 05-21-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
Travis Miller

Liked 275 Times in 25 Posts
Default Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

Here's another '66 Dodge D-Dart photo.

http://rides.webshots.com/photo/2843724150082607023PbQLsK

Travis

(Opinions expressed by me on this forum are exactly that, my opinions. And I did not mean to cause such controversy, but then that can happen with differing views.)
Travis Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 12:41 PM   #22
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts
Talking Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Fernandez View Post
Previous post by you know who:They should have sold it for that kind of money. It looks "BOGUS" (non stock parts) just from the under the hood pictures. Its amazing what some people are trying to pass off at these auctions and get such crazy money for. Especially the BJ ones in Arizona and Fla

"bogus" "amazing what some people try to pass off".
Back pedal any harder and your head will be through the windshield.
No back pedeling here. Your just one of those type of people who ALWAYS have to have the last word so have at it. No one cares including me. I still say its a piss poor "BOGUS" attempt at a restoration like a lot of the cars that end up at an auction. You must be getting a "kick back" from the proceeds from this cars sale to protest what poor ole dumb assed me has to say about it. If he could have goitten $40,000 he should have kissed the buyer on the lips.You wouldnt know a decent restoration if it ran over your foot while it was in your mouth. Have at it NOO JOOSEY GUY no one on here really give a ****. Especially me. They are just being entertained by your comments
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 02:13 PM   #23
Ed Fernandez
Veteran Member

Liked 100 Times in 45 Posts
Talking Re: '66 Dodge D-Dart at Mecum auction

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-TECH MAN View Post
No back pedeling here. Your just one of those type of people who ALWAYS have to have the last word so have at it. No one cares including me. I still say its a piss poor "BOGUS" attempt at a restoration like a lot of the cars that end up at an auction. You must be getting a "kick back" from the proceeds from this cars sale to protest what poor ole dumb assed me has to say about it. If he could have goitten $40,000 he should have kissed the buyer on the lips.You wouldnt know a decent restoration if it ran over your foot while it was in your mouth. Have at it NOO JOOSEY GUY no one on here really give a ****. Especially me. They are just being entertained by your comments
And what do you know about kissing guys on the lips?Are you coming out of the closet?Getting the last word in on know it all's is fun.I don't know the owner but it seems like a real nice car,even with the slight
enhancements.But a "purist" like you can't see that.
It must suck to be an old washed up tech man.
Former NHRA #1945
Former IHRA #1945
T/SA
Ed Fernandez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2009, 03:14 PM   #24
ddartdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was the second owner of the D/Dart (last three of the VIN -- 933) that was at the Mecum Auction. Up until 2 years ago, I owned both the car that went up for auction and also Ted Spehar and Ralph Costa's old racecar called "The Politician" (the first D/Dart built -- 888).

The original owner of 933 was a guy named Andy Caldwell. He bought it "New" from a dealership somewhere in the DC area where he was stationed. He said he raced it for one year at Aquasco. I think he then was assigned somewhere in California. He told me he drove the car in California for 70,000 miles with the 4.86 gears in it. The car had a 3.23 open rear in it when I bought it.

When I bought it, in the trunk were the original Doug's headers, the factory y-pipe, a pair of 36" header extensions, the 4.86 posi unit, the factory hubcaps, and the wheel lip moldings. Not a bad haul. It also had a decoded VIN and fender tag sheet from Galen. Not sure if Galen even saw the car in person.

I sold it less carb, carb spacer, air cleaner, choke cable, headers, y-pipe, 4.86 gears. But the original engine when with it.

The body on the car was really solid. I was told by the guy I sold it to that he sent it some 500 miles away to a really good bodyman. I'm sure he did a good job on it. I was making it into a driver so that's why the newer master cylinder and proportioning valve were put in. And no, it does not have disc brakes. The engine was another 273 that I bought along the way to drive the car. Nothing really fancy.

The fuel lines on the D/Dart were routed up over the inner fender, by the factory, to clear the headers. The cars were not -- heater delete. Just radio delete.

I heard from the guy that runs the D/Dart web site that the reserve on the car was $50K. He was watching the live feed on the Mecum site. I think that would have been a fair price for the car.

Just talked to a guy that just taked to Bob Banning. Bob Banning Dodge got about 7 or 8 D/Darts back in 1966. Bob learned how to drag race in one of them.

Alan

Last edited by ddartdude; 05-21-2009 at 06:22 PM.
ddartdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:11 PM   #25
ddartdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

It looks like the D/Dart is going back on the Mecum auction block this Saturday, October 3rd. It'll be interesting to see what it goes up to this time. Looking at the auction site pictures, they put a set of coated headers on it and a set of Cragar S/S mags. Looks good but there's still a few things that should have been corrected on it.
Old 09-29-2009, 10:09 PM   #26
dart4forte

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddartdude View Post
It looks like the D/Dart is going back on the Mecum auction block this Saturday, October 3rd. It'll be interesting to see what it goes up to this time. Looking at the auction site pictures, they put a set of coated headers on it and a set of Cragar S/S mags. Looks good but there's still a few things that should have been corrected on it.
I agree as stated on the A body site. Too bad, I would of liked to restore that thing. Anyone interested here's the link.

http://www.mecum.com/auctions/lot_de...8&entryRow=626

Last edited by dart4forte; 09-29-2009 at 10:13 PM.
dart4forte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 10:37 PM   #27
bill dedman
VIP Member

Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts

QUOTE:
"This particular example is documented with an decoding by expert Galen Govier which states that it was produced on April 17, 1966 as a special order assembled at the Hamtramck, MI plant as a Dodge Super Stock D-Dart"

Oh really??

Just what is a "Super Stock D Dart?"

Was it built to run Super Stock D?

Did Galen Govier REALLY say all of that?

Is he THAT ignorant???

Wonder if he'd be enchanted to find out that his high-dollar opinion is being mis-quoted?

I don't think the guy who wrote that has a CLUE as to what he's talking about, neither does he have a CLUE as to what that car is worth in today's depressed economy.

Maybe he's about to find out.... again.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:30 AM   #28
W J

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Can someone in the know please tell me if the D Darts had the rectangular "box" exhaust tip at rear bumper? I distinctly remember my friend's 273 Commando/motored 4 sp. '66 Valiant convert. having this box-style exhaust tip from the factory...Thanks. WJ
W J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2009, 07:45 AM   #29
ddartdude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by W J View Post
Can someone in the know please tell me if the D Darts had the rectangular "box" exhaust tip at rear bumper? I distinctly remember my friend's 273 Commando/motored 4 sp. '66 Valiant convert. having this box-style exhaust tip from the factory...Thanks. WJ
It came with the factory installed HIPO 273 exhaust system on the car. So, yes it did have the rectangular tipped resonator on it. The headers, y-pipe and hubcaps were in the trunk - for dealer installation.
Old 09-30-2009, 12:39 PM   #30
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Galen verified that it's a D-Dart, not the modifications.

Mecum tries to over sell a car they know nothing about and the owner knows even less about the car than they do.

This is a 20K car at best and maybe less in today's economy. These cars have no historical value, aren't milestone cars and are not fir for anything but street driving today...racing them is pretty much out of the question without a bunch of work and the HRA's changing hp no's.

JimR