HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Top Sportsman and Top Dragster

Old 10-12-2009, 08:52 AM   #1
pentastarrail

Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Default Lvd td issues

Congratulations Kenny.
I am not taking anything away from you as you did an outstanding job this year.

HOWEVER,
I was not going to say anything and just let things go, BUT my wife and I talked about what happened with this series this year and we agreed that we should at least speak up so other racers know what can happen to them.

We have an issue with the track and the "Lebanon Valley Top Dragster Series".

The "rule changing" DURING the POINTS SERIES is BS. Not once BUT several times during the series.

This series started out as 16 cars, then 32, then ?? etc, etc, with a 7.49 or quicker dial.
Then on the last weekend (with 2 races left) they change the format to an 8.25 dial?

They can use the "financial" excuse all they want but to change it on the LAST points weekend is ABSURD.
How many people COULD have raced it earlier in the year, how many people would have raced it since they did NOT need all the "extra" stuff (safty gear, nitrous, TD license, etc, etc) and could have made the 8.25 bump. Also, what about the amount of $$ some people spent to race this series purchasing all the TD stuff.

This rule changing DIRECTLY affected my wife. She was number two after the first weekend with only 1 round between her and first. She broke her engine, we put in the backup engine (still running high 7.50's but could not run the 7.49 that was mandated at the time for the second race weekend) so she raced Super Pro instead missing those 2 races. If this 8.25 rule was used then the out come of this whole series could have been different. Since she missed those 2 races (1 weekend) she knew she could not make up the points needed so she stopped attending even though we had the 7.00 engine back in the car.

I'm not saying Kenny would not be number one, all I'm saying things MAY have finshed differently.

Gee, I wonder how much EXTRA money they made making the 8.25 rule on the LAST points weekend?
I'm sure they had MANY more entries because of it, ....NOT.

At least on a good note, there won't be a TD series next year.

Next time, instead of just MAKING UP RULES as we go along, just use a VERY SIMPLE solution that has been used for years, have all the PAID points members vote on the change, if it passes fine, then there is NO beef.

To change rules on the fly as you see fit is total BS.

I'm NOT blaming anyone and I applaud the people that put it together for their hard work on getting a series to happen and finding sponsors.

I'm just pointing out the FACTS.

Kenny did a great job this year, I just wanted racers to know what could happen to them.

Frank Zeffiro

Last edited by pentastarrail; 10-12-2009 at 08:57 AM.
pentastarrail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #2
td1332

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Lvd td issues

Frank I know that Scott came over and ask my opinion on the lowering the min. to 8.25. And to be honest and not even thinking about the points I thought it would be a good idea to try to get more cars involved so it would look better for the track. I guess looking at it from your point or Kenny Moses point of view it may not have been the right thing to do. Frank how many cars raced on Sunday and how many went 7.49 or quicker and how many slower
td1332 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:09 AM   #3
Charlie Yannetti

Liked 179 Times in 77 Posts

WOW!!!.... if I had known about the drop to an 8.25 minimum, I definitely would have been there with my 7.70 car....

Frank has valid points to his arguement... but I can also see the people running the series making adjustments to keep the series running.... but more publicity would have helped... and timing is most important...
Charlie Yannetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:05 PM   #4
pentastarrail

Hi Vince,

If I remember right there were 16 cars on Sunday with only a couple slower then the 7.49 (I don't think anyone was slower than 7.70) which actually didn't matter because it was changed to 1/8th mile due to wind.

I understand the $$ thing and trying to draw more cars BUT this should have been done either at the begining or saved for next year.

My whole rant is that ANYTHING that is a BIG change (that can affect the points series) should be voted on by the members.

To do this at this time in the series was crazy.

I'm not upset at any one person or the track, I just want everyone to know that when decisions of this MAGNITUDE are made all the series members should be called together instead of us finding out in a casual conversation with another racer. If this was voted on would it have changed anything, maybe or maybe not but at least all the issues would have been brought forward and heard.

ALOT of racers were affected by this decision, those that raced the series and those that did not BUT could have.

Charlie, My point exactly........
Old 10-12-2009, 12:13 PM   #5
krugracing12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenny WHO ??
krugracing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 12:23 PM   #6
td1332

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Kenny Moses the Lebanon Valley Top Dragster God
Old 10-12-2009, 12:25 PM   #7
td1332

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Frank how did Laura do or did both of you race
Old 10-12-2009, 12:31 PM   #8
ScottHall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I was waiting for this subject to come up, and since I am the one who made the decision in question, and I am the one who had to make the changes because Wayne Hofmann was involved in the final points, I am the one Frank is referring to.

So…………

At the beginning of the season Lebanon Valley wanted a Top Dragster Series that consisted of quick dragsters that fell into the NHRA advanced E.T. certification. Being 7.49 and quicker, that made the maximum bump simple based on the rules. Those of us involved caught a lot of criticism. We all followed what the track was looking for in the series, and had been told over the winter that the amount of cars to fill the 16 car should be available.

So on to the first weekend of racing. The field was very short, and the pay out was covered. Lebanon Valley lost money, but supported the series. Frank and Laura went to the finals on that Saturday, and we moved on.

Soon after that a mutual decision between Wayne, myself, and the race track was made to open it up to 32 cars as to prevent the wide spread opinion that many racers were not going to show up in fear of not qualifying. Again, we couldn’t fill the field with 32 cars, yet the track covered the pay out, losing money again.

So going into this weekend, seeing that there was a good chance that attendance would be up, and that looking at the Quick 32 car field shows for next year, Wayne and I looked at slowing the maximum to see just how many cars would spend the money, and run the T/D races, and at the same time at least cover the pay out for a T/D race.

Wayne and I talked to the racetrack, and they had no problem with it. Yes, it was done for the finical aspect of the series.

Does anyone know how much money Howard has to spend this year on everything that has happened? I guess it was a way to be self sufficient and actually have a couple of races that would pay there way instead of taking from the gate and other classes that run weekly………………

Obviously the 5 round effected the out come of the points gained on Saturday, and was brought to me as the problem it has turned out to be. Frank and Laura explained the issue that Laura could have raced all year and feels that they were forced out by my decision, then had it switched with no time, or fairness.

And I agree…..it was unfair, and it did keep out a lot more people than it should have. I wish it was March of 2009 again…….

Sunday morning I had a large group of racers who were not happy with me, and I was a man enough to face every one of them and explain my decision. I quickly realized that no matter what I did, it was going to be wrong in someone’s eyes. After 5 races of doing what the series was designed to do, I was hoping that I could get the last 2 races to do something for the racetrack.

Well, there is my side of things. Frank has made his points well, but I want it known that he is directing this toward me. Lebanon Valley was involved in the decisions, but they were based on ideas and a layout that had been looked at by the two people that everyone in the series expected to make decisions on everything from parking spots, to qualifying times, rules violations, tech department complaints, scheduling, posting results, finding sponsors and funding for the final points, trophies, winners checks, and decals.

So that being said, I see that to some, I need to take care of what makes all this run smooth, but when the hard choices need to get made, Its time to make it public, and show all the negatives of what a lot of us have worked on.

Frank, unfortunately I’m glad there will be no series either…….I have learned that it is not worth all the time and effort so as it can all come to a conclusion like this on a forum for the world to see. At one time Wayne and I looked forward to this series, but now, its done, and the Quick 32 series should eliminate all the issues that came up this year.

Frank, the better news is that your issues with me, and that’s what they are, will now guarantee that you’ll never have to deal with my ignorance and bad choices again.

Your $70 refund that Laura requested is coming to you for the Series Registration, and it’s coming from my pocket.

I’m sure I’ll have to respond to more of this topic, but I really don’t have much else to say. I’m busy at work, and I have people I work for that can look past a few mistakes I’ve made and know that at the end of day I’m looking out for the big picture, and those around it.

Fortunately I surround myself with people, racers and engine builders that keep issues of great opposition private and not to entertain the world, and ultimately hurt the reputation of both sides involved………………..especially the last part I just mentioned.

Scott Hall
ScottHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 02:07 PM   #9
hemi

Exclamation Re: Lvd td issues

Scott,
Good for you. It's funny that certain people complain, but they never thought about doing what you and Wayne did, put together something that should have been appreciated.
Frank, since the track in your eyes is always junk maybe you should try a different sort of racing and stop complaining.

Scott & Wayne great job this year.
Old 10-12-2009, 03:34 PM   #10
pentastarrail

Scott,
I'm not trying to slam any one, it's just how unfair this was.
As I said, it was the timing of the decision and how it was presented. If this was stated at the beginning of the series, no problem.

We don't care about the $70, it is the priciple.

As I said yesterday, I can see your point, however as you know there was NO WAY that the entries would cover the payouts. It was known from the beginning that this deal would have to be paid by the track.

As I said in a number of posts, my hats off to all the folks (Scott and Wayne especially) that allowed the TD series to happen this year including the sponsors. I know ALOT of personal dollars were spent and I'm not questioning any of that.

MY ONLY BEEF is the 8.25 rule change, the timing of it and how it was presented, PERIOD.

I hope next years Quick 32 races take off, HOWEVER, you know this as well as I, the track WILL have to pay the payout. Hopefully they make it up on the back end (spectators, food, etc.).

Hemi,
The track doesn't need me, it's doing that all by itself.
If you don't like what I have to say, DON'T READ IT.

Vince,
After finding out about the 8.25 thing it made us re-evaluate and we decided to sit it out.