HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Top Sportsman and Top Dragster

Old 02-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #11
Tom Goldman
VIP Member

Liked 696 Times in 201 Posts
Default Re: Top Draster wheelbase

Thanks Rich, Yea,I dont even run my SG car there anymore since it got so rough. ....Rick ran a string of .20's there at the end of the year, actually he won one weekend and had a r/u the next week. Too bad it was after the points had ended. .......BTW, look on the cowl of Ricks car, we knicknamed him Kid Nitro many years ago. .....That car never has less than 15% in the tank!!.......Some time at the races I'll tell you the story of when he tried to run nitro in his Kawasaki 3 cyl 2 stroke bike!! .....Tom
Old 02-02-2009, 08:00 PM   #12
Brian Hansbury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Send a message via Yahoo to Brian Hansbury

Hey rich yeah a 598 it should be fun not sure what it will run but should be fun.....as far as the ride with wayne hofmann driving his second car it was a awesome oppurtunity and i feel very greatful for him choosing me . the only reason is he soold the second car to put more money back into the racing budget ...we are still friends and plan on helping each other as much as possible except when we are side by side on the tree then all bets are off .....lol..........so hopefully 2009 will e a good year i love driving that car i bought from you i cant thank you enough .....

Brian
Brian Hansbury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 10:07 PM   #13
krugracing12

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Brian

Have you talked to Wayne recently? I noticed the Top Dragster program he is starting at the Valley has a cutoff of 7.49 or faster. I know of several guys with cars that interested in racing the series but their cars are only certified to 7.50. so a 7.49 knocks them out of the box. Obviously if the bumps are well into the low 7s it wont matter, a couple of $100 DNQ's us 7.50.to 7.70 folks will stay home anyway. With the present economic situation It may be harder to get 16 7.49 or faster cars than you think.

Bill
krugracing12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 11:16 PM   #14
Brian Hansbury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

billy i have talked to him tisdale emailed me and asked the same questions i feel and so do alot of other guys it should be nhra rules 7.70 max dial eppings series is 7.70 max dial all run personally weather mine goes faster than 7.50 or not i would rather see 7.70 and all run exept night shows the idea should be to bring more cars to the track which equals more money and a bigger payout ....... i think a series meeting should be had when he gets back from florida maybee at the clubhouse ?...what do you think....give me a shout tommorow if you have time or let me know we can go get a cold beverage.....
Old 02-03-2009, 05:35 PM   #15
masracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hey glad to hear some talk about this deal

I think a meeting might be a good idea

I am sure you both know that Wayne has been working hard to make this a successful deal. There are a lot of things to take into consideration. I can see both sides of the coin in regards to the 7.70 vs. 7.49 deal.

I also think we need to stress that Wayne has gone out of his way to schedule dates around the Epping series. Racers can actually run both series if they choose to. I am going to hit as many of both as I can. I spoke to at least one person at the New England Dragway banquet this past weekend who did not realize this. I know he wants to not take away from the hard work that they put into that deal up there last year.

Brian check your PM when you get a chance

Thanks

B.J. Masiello
masracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 08:32 PM   #16
Brian Hansbury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

hey bj i dint have any pm's? ..

anyway yes wayne has alot of hours invested of his own personal time invested that is very much appreciated and i understand some of the fst cars want to run the same cars but lets see how much differece is it racin a 7.49 dial or worst case a 7.70 dial 3 inches down tack ?....i personally dont care whom i race the top dragster ting was fun for me cuz the et span was close if its not td rules then maybee it should be like a quick 16 heads up race no dial in ?....anway i told wayne today we should have a meeting when he gets back from florida. anyway good luck to wayne in florida !!!
Old 02-03-2009, 09:18 PM   #17
masracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Not sure why the PM didn't work. I am a technology teacher but I would still consider myself somewhat computer illiterate

In a nut shell it was just an offer to help with the planning and organization of a meeting or really anything that needs to be done if it would take some of the work load off of others who have been putting this together. I will email wayne but I don't want to call him while hes away.

I definitly get your point about the 7.70 deal if it will get full car counts and give more people the opportunity to race.

Just my opinion though I dont think you are going to have any problem going faster than 7.50. That 598 should fly. MIne is only a 565. I have good heads on it but still 598 is big cubic inch.

Looks like its going to be a good deal up there and pretty close to home
Old 02-03-2009, 10:12 PM   #18
Brian Hansbury

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

sweet i appreciate the offer and will probably take you up on it are you gonna ask him about a meeting when you email him .?.....if the clubhouse is central location for most i will see if we can use it of not my house or shop or i am open to ideas .....maybee some bench racing while we are all together ...all ideas are welcome
Old 02-12-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
ScottHall

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I talked to Wayne last night, and he wanted to go on the record and explain why the 7.49 or quicker is what the T/D series will be based off.
I have been helping with the details on this so I speak for what Wayne and I have talked about.

Two reason why this came to be the maximum E.T. break.

First; One problem that has always occurred with having a 7.50 or slower car is the chassis cert and the license are different then going 7.49 or quicker. What has happened many times all over the country and happened to me at the first T/D race last year is a racer who goes 7.48, and isn't licensed, or chassis certed to go that quick. So now we as a series have two different set of rules, two different sets of technical requirements, and face the issue of a 7.50 racer going 7.48 and getting a win light. When that happens, they disqualified by the NHRA rules.

Knowing that all cars are licensed and chassis certed to 7.49 or quicker, we will never have "two sets" of rules to make sure we follow.

Second, and the biggest argument with cars going 7.70 to 7.50 is that if they really wanted to run Top Dragster anywhere they went, the money and parts would be invested to get there car to run 7. 20 or 7.30. The track has asked that we produce a Top Dragster series with FAST cars. We know by the responce Wayne received that over 20 cars that are 7.49 and quicker are interested. This is another reason thet the 7.49 or qucker has been created.

Some of the sponsors of this class rely on racers upgrading there cars to quicker. By racers spending money with our sponsors, the two to three tenths they need to go 7.49 and quicker show that they are investing in the "Advanced ET" aspect of NHRA drag racing.

We are going into this knowing that we may have a few short feilds based on weather, or the economy. The fact is that we could look at every class and say, why don't we allow a 9.99 car to run Super Pro, even if they don't fall into the spec, or why not let some Top Sportsman cras into the Top Dragster feild so we can have a full feild. When does it stop?

Ask any racer who has built a Top Dragster how much effort and time they put into building there car. They will all tell you that they created a TOP DRAGSTER, not a weekly bracket racing car, or a Super Comp car, but a Top Dragster. The same agument is that racers who have a 7.50 to 7.70 car didn't build a Top Dragster, they built a reliable weekly bracket racing car or a Super Comp car with no throttle stop.

Wayne and myself can't bracket race on Nitrous because we go 6.99 or quicker. Can the rules be changed so we can at least bracket race in the 6 second range? No. So we find Top Dragster races to run instead.

We know the people who don't care for this ruling. And I'm sure they are saying that we will have short feilds because of it, but the class needs to have set standard that it can grow from. We know from the races at New England Dragway that the quickest 16 cars are in the 7.30's anyway, so we felt that when the class is up and running, the 7.49 or quicker will not even be a consideration.

Wayne will be back in a few weeks from Florida. I can be contacted at scott@tedblackmotorsports.com

Any e-mails I get will be fowarded to Wayne and the possibilty of meeting could be made. Any responces I get will be made public so others can be aware of counter acting points that have been. We are not here to only give one side, but have respectful discussions.

Scott Hall
ScottHall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:41 PM   #20
masracing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Scott

I appreciate the work you guys have been putting into these races.

I have a lot of respect for Wayne as a racer and for the way he conducted the last minute races year. There is no one who is more committed fair competitive racing. Just the scheduling of these races to ensure they do not conflict with or take away form the NED series and all the hard work that their comittee put into that deal says a lot.

My offer still stands like I told Wayne let me know if there is anything I can do to help out. Either before the season or on the race days. (Well except maybe sweeping your trailers) anything related to the races though I am in.

As I said before I see both sides of discussion on the et break. In fact I was more in favor of hte 7.70 However, having talked to you at the banquet and thinking about it I trust Wayne's opinion on the 7.49 deal.

You know as well as I do a 7.70 car can easily become a 7.30 car with some "tune up in a bottle". We saw this all the time at NED last year. I am hoping to go from 7.1s to well into the 6s with mine. Should be an interesting learning curve

My thoughts on the meeting were mainly to make sure everyone is on the same page. If we did it, it would be really nice if a track official or two could be there so we could coordinate what they need from us on race days and in turn what we need from them. For example run order and other details. I hope that neither Wayne or you take this meeting suggestion as implying that you are not being fair and open about he planning process. I know this is not the case at all. I think others realize that as well. As I said in my earlier post this would be something I would be willing to help coordinate if it would take some work load from you guys.

I have spoken to a few racers recently with very fast cars that said they would be interested but had concerns about track prep. I assured them that the track has committed to work with us and make the track the best it can be. I will say in my opinion that last weekend we ran there in October even with the very cold track temps the track was excellent on Sunday. I was running 60 fts better than what I ran the following week at the Dutch Classic. This can be a great deal very close to home if everyone works together.

Thanks

B.J. Masiello

Last edited by masracing; 02-12-2009 at 08:18 PM.