HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Classifieds > Race Parts: Classifieds
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 02-01-2013, 06:07 PM   #1
Snake SS-351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Smokey Ram

I am looking for an "Old Skool" Smokey Ram Intake manifold. These were made by Edelbrock and had the part number SY-1. The manifold must not be modified in any way (no porting or polishing). Polished up on the outside is acceptable but who wants to go through that nightmare. I'm not even sure this is going to work on my little project, but I want to give it a try. Any tuning help or setup info would be greatly appreciated as well.
Thanks.
Snake SS-351 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:34 PM   #2
magnumv8

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Smokey Ram

try this # 2872373 on racing junk.......might be what you are searching for....

D L Rambo....STK 1300
magnumv8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:31 PM   #3
Snake SS-351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

For something posted on Racing "Junk" they sure are proud of it. I'm not even sure that a Smokey Ram will work for my application. For what they want for those intakes I could get a nice used Dart manifold, a brand new legal carb, fuel line, pressure gauge, and a nice scoop. Although I may not be enough left for the gauge.
This is for a 9.5:1, unported iron heads w/small valves, .450 lift, 355ci SBC with a 600cfm holley(spec Carb.) . With the valve springs we have to run 6500rpm is the absolute max. Would the Smokey Ram be a good option?
Old 02-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #4
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

If you think $425 is a lot of money for a nostalgic intake manifold that has a high "cool factor", you will be looking a long time!

I seriously doubt this will work on your low compression, low lift cam 350. It's designed for high RPM race engines from Trans-Am days.
Old 02-02-2013, 08:39 PM   #5
Run to Rund

Liked 44 Times in 22 Posts

I know a guy who tried it in the 1970s on a strong high rpm street-strip Chevelle. Based on the hype I thought it would work well, sort of like a cross ram. Turns out, the Tarantula walked all over it.
Run to Rund is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I think any box style intake needs extensive internal modifications to work on the strip, even more for the street. They are cool looking but it takes a lot to make them work. Direct Connection used to have a tech bulletin on modifying the Weind two piece intakes.
Edelbrock made the STR series and AMC guys love the cross-ram as they were factory on the SS/AMX's. Most cars run faster when they put a 750-850 Holley on a Torker. But go to a car show with a cross-ram and open the hood and everybody lines up and drools.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
Snake SS-351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

That is the kind of information that helps, and I thank you for it. Having someone tell me how cool my junk is as they are walking over to congratulate the winner is not my idea of a good weekend. This was strictly about finding a competitive advantage, if there isn't one to be had with the Smokey Ram I will just move on. The rules state that I can run any single 4v intake manifold "as manufactured", aluminum or iron. No prototype, tunnel ram, or sheet metal intakes. Seems simple enough, just need to pick out the one that works best.
Again, Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 02-03-2013, 06:18 AM   #8
BOB BLACK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

i have an offenhauser single carb cross ram verison manifold i would like to post a picture but i do not seam to have the means ( dum A@#$%) if you get my drift i was hopeing to be of help if i can find out how to post iwill show you
thanks bob
BOB BLACK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

What have you tried?
What kind of class is this?
Sounds like the old tried and true Torker would work with that 600 Holley.
I once had a low comp, small valve 340 Dodge with a .500" hydraulic that had too much duration (but sounded really good). I tried several intakes and was most happy with the one that wasn't supposed to work; a Holley Strip Dominator w/ a 750 DP. 7000 RPM all day long. Won just about every street race with that (and I did a lot of it) and not bad at the track. Maybe you should look at that.
Old 02-03-2013, 01:06 PM   #10
Snake SS-351

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

To Bob:
I would be interested in seeing pics but I'm not sure what it takes to place an attachment with a thread.
Also, if unmodified that would be a legal manifold and I could use it.

To Jeff:
What have I tried? Tried a dual plane intake, too much of a compromise. Need to make all the power from 3500-6500. Driveability at lower RPM is not a concern. We start them up and head out of the pits at 2500-3500 RPM. Run that way for 2-3 minutes till everything gets all warmed up then put it on the firewall. Full power, max RPM for anywhere from 5-8 minutes, then its back to the pits. The RPM may drop a few hundred in the corners but only because of the additional load, not from backing off. The Class is Sportsman Entry, or SE. We circle race Flatbottom V-drive boats. Think of it as racing a dyno, thats why I thought the Smokey Ram might be a viable option. Idling around the pits is just not a concern. I was in the market for a Strip Dominator or Team G or other such large empty hole when the Smokey Ram idea came to me. I know no one else has one, or tried one to my knowledge, I was just looking for an edge.