HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Tech > Support Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 01-10-2017, 10:34 PM   #1
Marc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Powerhorse Generators

Looking to upgrade to a quieter generator for this upcoming race season and came across Powerhorse units sold by Northern Tool. The specific one I'm interested in is the 3500 inverter. The advertised sound level seems to compare favorably with the higher priced brands and they are quite a bit cheaper, which kind of worries me.

Looking for some first hand opinions if anyone has owned or even seen one in action at the track.

Thanks.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 08:41 AM   #2
Lew Silverman
VIP Member

Liked 129 Times in 59 Posts
Default Re: Powerhorse Generators

I've been using the smaller version of the Powerhorse inverter-generator, the 2000-series for about 2 years and I'm very happy with it's performance, Marc.

It's very quiet, and I've been able to power my small compressor and battery-charger on less than one tank of fuel, so it's economical as well. It's due for a service over the winter, so I'll be headed back to Northern later this month for a filter and tune-up kit.

One recommendation, and this goes for any small-engined equipment, is to use a fuel-additive designed to combat the destructive effects of the ethanol in in the fuel. Northern sells a product made by "Starbrite" which seems to work well, but I think Sta-bil also offers the same protection. If you have access to it, there are non-ethanol fuels available (VP's SEF is a great product, but a little more expensive).

I think if you maintain your generator properly and always use clean, fresh fuel you'll be very happy with a Powerhorse generator.
Lew Silverman #2070
"The Wagon Master" N/SA
Lew Silverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 03:06 PM   #3
Marc

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Thanks Lew...that's good to know. And I agree on the fuel stabilizer. I usually use the Lucas stuff and seems to work well.
Marc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2017, 05:22 PM   #4
Mike Pearson
VIP Member

Liked 1,629 Times in 502 Posts

I only use non ethanol fuel in my small engine equipment. It has made a huge difference in the way they start and run. Luckily I have a gas station near the house that sells the non eth gasoline
Old 01-12-2017, 08:23 AM   #5
Myron Piatek
VIP Member

Liked 132 Times in 48 Posts
Post Re: Powerhorse Generators

If interested in quieter, but affordable generators, I got a Champion 3500/4000 last year and it has worked flawlessly, aside from a cord break which was quickly replaced under warranty. I've had a couple of comments about how quiet it is and it starts on the first or second pull. They have a complete line to choose from, including with inverters.

http://www.championpowerequipment.co...ts/generators/

http://www.championpowerequipment.co...cts/inverters/

Last edited by Myron Piatek; 01-12-2017 at 08:25 AM.
Myron Piatek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2017, 10:56 AM   #6
340Cuda
VIP Member

Liked 677 Times in 290 Posts

Champion has caught my attention as well. While built in China they are engineered in the US and have bigger presence in the U.S. than most.

One of their locations is in Wisconsin, which has made me wonder if there were any links to Waukesha Engines in their background.

Bill
340Cuda is offline   Reply With Quote