HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Lounge > The lounge

Old 11-17-2012, 10:49 PM   #1
art leong
VIP Member

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Deep Fried Turkey

I'm thinking about getting a deep fryer. To cook turkey. I've heard it really tastes good.
What is the best kind of fryer? I've seen electric, propane and oil less infared?
How long can I keep the oil after the first use?
Thanks
Old 11-18-2012, 12:30 AM   #2
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts
Default Re: Deep Fried Turkey

Use peanut oil and a propane heater with a big pot. Get the oil really hot before putting the turkey in. Wrap a wire around the legs of the turkey so you can take it out when it is done. Inject the turkey with butter and garlic....it is easy and usually only takes a six pack to get it done. When the turkey floats to the top, it is done. Man, are they good....good luck....oh, and peanut oil last a long time......we have saved and strained the oil and used it over 4 or 5 times.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:16 AM   #3
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 1,016 Times in 264 Posts

Propane cooker, large pot, usually best deal is at WalMart. Use a good injected marinade, and a good rub. Make absolutely certain the turkey is completely thawed, and absolutely zero water of any kind is in your turkey. Heat the oil to 350 degrees, drill a 1/4" hole in the lid of the cooker to allow you to keep a thermometer in the lid all the time. A good cooker will have an oil thermometer and a meat thermometer. You need about 3-4 minutes per pound of thawed turkey. Most good cookers come with a stand to set the turkey over, and a hook to raise and lower the turkey in the oil. Lower the turkey extremely slowly into the oil, have a fire extinguisher very handy, and cook outdoors, preferably on concrete, away from anything that will burn.

I normally use Tony Chechere's injectable marinade, and his Creole seasoning (easily found at Walmart). I pour the marinade in a sauce pan, melt a stick of real unsalted butter in it, and stir in a tablespoon of hot sauce (your choice). I inject the turkey the night before, and rub it well. The day it is to be cooked, I get it out 1-2 hours before time to cook, and let it get closer to room temperature. I cook a 16# turkey for 48-60 minutes, the temperature of the breast should be 170 degrees. Adjust your propane burner to get the temperature back up to 350 degrees ASAP after putting your turkey in, as it will drop to as low as 250 degrees, depending on how large and how cold your turkey is.
Old 11-18-2012, 10:43 AM   #4
Keith 944
VIP Member

Liked 1,634 Times in 516 Posts
Smile Re: Deep Fried Turkey

X2 on what they both said.
Save the peanut oil and fresh cut some potato's (French Fri style) and shazam! boardwalk fries. never as good as thrashers though
Keith 944 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 01:45 PM   #5
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Thumbs up Re: Deep Fried Turkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by SStockDart View Post
Use peanut oil and a propane heater with a big pot. Get the oil really hot before putting the turkey in. Wrap a wire around the legs of the turkey so you can take it out when it is done. Inject the turkey with butter and garlic....it is easy and usually only takes a six pack to get it done. When the turkey floats to the top, it is done. Man, are they good....good luck....oh, and peanut oil last a long time......we have saved and strained the oil and used it over 4 or 5 times.
Yeah! What Gary said! We used to do this at the Fire Department, great tasting turkey! Crispy outside and moist inside. Just be very careful, hot oil will hurt you bad! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 02:38 PM   #6
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,452 Times in 540 Posts

Also...after the oil reaches its temperature, lower the Turkey in to the fryer VERY, VERY SLOWLY!!!

If you lower it too fast, it will crisp the skin too fast and not cook well inside.
(Been there, done that!)

Also, like Alan said, do not exceed 350 degrees temperature and use a good candy thermometer. If the oil is too hot, it will also crisp the skin too fast.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 04:24 PM   #7
treessavoy
VIP Member

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts

Note: Make sure that you don't overfill the pot and most important, if you use peanut oil make sure none of your guests are allergic to any kind of nuts.

Enjoy,

JimR
Old 11-18-2012, 07:17 PM   #8
Stewart Way

Liked 69 Times in 20 Posts

Alan had a lot of good advice and I will say one thing again. Make sure the bird is thawed and dry. If still frozen or really wet, the water flashes to steam (ice will expand even faster)and you will have a mess with the overflow. Mythbusters did a show showing the effects of a frozen bird. Don't do it on a wooden deck. We usually throw a bag of frozen okra (you are in Georgia now) in after the bird. You can do it frozen but it will boil up. Be careful. I do turkey 3 times a year and usually use the oil 2 years. I cook mine about 4.5 - 5 min a pound. We all like the outer crunchy but not burned. Easier to carve if you let it set a few minutes.
I will never go back to oven baked turkey
Happy Thanksgiving
Old 11-18-2012, 10:53 PM   #9
SStockDart
VIP Member

Liked 456 Times in 172 Posts

I am getting excited to deep fry a turkey again. I know that I have the propane/and stand but not sure if my pots, lids, and thermometers made it thru the moves we have made that past 2 years. I will be digging tomorrow to find the pots. My daughters had planned on Thanksgiving dinner and putting a turkey in the oven. I think the deep fried turkey might be a new tradition for them. I will let you know.....my mouth is watering...........(oh, the cold turkey sandwiches with Miracle whip and cheese........mmmmmmmmmmmm)
Old 11-18-2012, 11:10 PM   #10
Bob Bender
VIP Member

Liked 372 Times in 80 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim wahl View Post
yeah! What gary said! We used to do this at the fire department, great tasting turkey! Crispy outside and moist inside. Just be very careful, hot oil will hurt you bad! Jim

x2