HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 10-05-2019, 06:36 AM   #11
Maverick

Liked 26 Times in 19 Posts
Default Re: Clutch ID

I have a couple of these pressure plates, in my collection of clutch parts. This pressure plate was conceived on some poor thinking. I would look for something with new technology. A lot of things have changed in clutches, . Be careful if you use this clutch, especially with the clutch material, rag or sintered iron. Do , some research, but the clutches have changed over the years, and this clutch was made with old thinking. Good luck
Maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 01:48 PM   #12
chopperloco

Liked 69 Times in 16 Posts

WOW!!!
Thanks for all the great info men!
I'm even more confused now lol
The disk is sinitered iron,the complete clutch came with the Nash crash box(no syncros)
The car is an ex-Modified 65 vette with a high comp.ratio tunnel ram 355"
It will see a little street driving to local cruise nights/car shows and a few visits to the strip.
I'm trying to work with all the old crap that i have on hand on a somewhat limited budget(as crazy as that sounds)
chopperloco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 02:34 PM   #13
weedburner

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

For what you want to do, just use the parts you have and add a ClutchTamer to the mix. Not only will the car be far less likely to break parts, but also very likely to be quicker than it was before.

Grant
weedburner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 06:50 PM   #14
Chevy55

Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts

It's really going to be tough running that crash box on the street, I'm interested in your thoughts after you get it going.
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2019, 08:45 PM   #15
Joe Martens

Liked 181 Times in 62 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Joe Martens

It may be worth a shot to give Roy Storey a call. He was the clutch guy at Hays for years. I’m sure he could do something with it. His number is 216-333-4900. Mention my name if you call him. Good luck with the project!
Old 10-07-2019, 01:47 PM   #16
Dirk Olson

Liked 126 Times in 33 Posts

Understand that you have this clutch and it could a money issue but given todays technology with clutches, I would not put myself through that hassle and frustration. Remember it could be costly as far as time and broken parts...just my two cents. Call Rob Youngblood @ Advance Clutches. Rob is a SS racer and I am sure that he can help you out with this.

Last edited by Dirk Olson; 10-07-2019 at 01:51 PM.
Dirk Olson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #17
Rod Greene

Liked 204 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevy55 View Post
It's really going to be tough running that crash box on the street, I'm interested in your thoughts after you get it going.
Back in the day every thing had a crash box. No semi truck trans had synchros. You just have to know how to drive.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:15 PM   #18
Dave Casey
VIP Member

Liked 581 Times in 127 Posts

It is simply a long(ford) style clutch with a cover with 6 extra bolts for strength. It does not have centrifugal assist levers on it, but you could simple change those if you choose to . I put a thousand or more runs on a pressure plate like this in my G/S 305 camaro, setting the record numerous times. I would keep backing of the pressure with the spring adjusters until it slipped a little going into 4th gear and then adjust it slightly tighter. If you cannot get it light enough with the adjusters, take it apart and remove 3 springs and try it again, or get lighter springs. If you are driving it on the street, back off the pressure and try it.

To answer your throwout bearing question, hays,mccleod, ram all did offer a bearing assemble for this application.Probably still available . It is simply a long style throwout bearing for a GM trans. The long style bearing is bigger in diameter where it contacts the levers.Some times if you have a GM bearing you can buy a regular ford bearing and press it off the collar and press the GM one off the collar and press on the long/ford larger one. Usually you need a tall style collar

hope that helps
Old 10-07-2019, 05:08 PM   #19
Chevy55

Liked 167 Times in 83 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod Greene View Post
Back in the day every thing had a crash box. No semi truck trans had synchros. You just have to know how to drive.
Rod I've been driving a heavy truck for many years and still do, no syncros, shift without the clutch, no problem but driving one of those on the street is gonna be a PITA. I just really can't see having any fun with it. JMO
Chevy55 is offline   Reply With Quote