HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-10-2009, 12:30 AM   #1
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Some rule interpretation questions.

Hello, have a couple questions regard stocker interior and exteriors. I know you are not allowed to add a wing or spoiler that did not come on the car, but prior to my thoughts of running stk with this car I took the spoiler off the car that was there. So are you aloud to remove a spoiler?

Also if you have a roll bar in the car, but it is not a 100% must that the back seat needs to be removed for fittment of bars , can you get by with it from tech and fellow racers? Especially if the car is not fast enough to require a roll bar? I am doing a sort of multi purpose car, and have my own reasons for wanting the roll bar in.

Thanks for any help.
Jimi B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2009, 12:44 AM   #2
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts
Default Re: Some rule interpretation questions.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimi B View Post
Hello, have a couple questions regard stocker interior and exteriors. I know you are not allowed to add a wing or spoiler that did not come on the car, but prior to my thoughts of running stk with this car I took the spoiler off the car that was there. So are you aloud to remove a spoiler?

Also if you have a roll bar in the car, but it is not a 100% must that the back seat needs to be removed for fittment of bars , can you get by with it from tech and fellow racers? Especially if the car is not fast enough to require a roll bar? I am doing a sort of multi purpose car, and have my own reasons for wanting the roll bar in.

Thanks for any help.
1, Please be more specific with the application. We can help you better that way.

2, If you are asking if you HAVE to remove the back seat with a roll bar, the answer is no. You can put your back brace(s) over it, under it, or through it.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:57 AM   #3
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Yacavone View Post
1, Please be more specific with the application. We can help you better that way.

2, If you are asking if you HAVE to remove the back seat with a roll bar, the answer is no. You can put your back brace(s) over it, under it, or through it.
No. I know that you need the back seat in, but you are aloud to remove it if it interferes with the rollbar. My question was, what if you have a roll bar, you have removed the back seat, but it looks as if you did not have to remove the back seat.

I do not have a specific application just yet. Just doing some thinking. Thanks.
Old 09-10-2009, 12:14 PM   #4
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

On the spoiler issue, if the body you are considering had a spoiler option, you can run it with or without a spoiler. An example would be the '94 T/A I once owned. If I wanted to race it as a T/A, it would have to have the rear T/A spoiler. If I wanted to race it as a Formula I would need the Formula spoiler. If I wanted no spoiler I would need an engine that was not Formula or T/A specific. That help?

On the roll bar, NHRA looks at it this way. You may not need a roll bar due to the car being in a slower class. BUT, if you install a roll bar, it has to be up to spec; just as if your class REQUIRED a roll bar. NHRA does not allow cutting corners on such issues. So it's either all or none in their eyes. The same applies to seat belts, even on a bracket car. You may be allowed to run factory seat belts and NHRA wont care. But as soon as you put aftermarket racing belts in (even if only a lap belt), you are subject to re-certification or replacement every two years.
Old 09-10-2009, 01:46 PM   #5
Philip Saran

Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

On the question of back seat, in or out. If you remove the rear seat, be it a
stocker, SS or just bracket car the rear seat area must be "finished off" with
a firewall and carpet. Maybe on a stocker if the battery is in the stock location
and you are using a stock tank you could get by with just fiberboard and carpet
over the area where the seat had been.

But add a battery in the trunk and a fuel cell and then you are back to a firewall
and carpet.
Old 09-14-2009, 11:30 PM   #6
Jimi B

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks guys. I am familiar with all the standard nhra rules for batteries, fuel cells, firewalls, roll bars etc. I just wanted to make sure that if I have a roll bar in a mid 12 second car with no back seat, racers and or tech would not have anything to say about it. I am not particularly new to sportsman racing, just finally giving some serious thought to running stock next year. I work in the engine business, and have also have alot of experience in custom interior, and have some creative ideas I would like to try.
Old 09-15-2009, 01:10 AM   #7
Jeff Lee
VIP Member

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

You can have a roll bar or cage in a 20 second car. Just has to be per the specs. Looks like your on your way. Good luck.