HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Competition Tech

Old 03-16-2014, 11:36 PM   #1
toolmakeron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default wrist pin clip issues

On a 632 Chev , 14.5 engine, we found some pieces of wrist pin clips in the oil change. They are 2- .042 spirolocks.(per side) They were not excessively stretched when installed.My first thought was a bad batch of heat treated clips. I was told that because he hit the chip in the water box, this will cause this kind of problem. Engine had about 60- 75 hits on it. He (the driver) also pedals it in the top end. car is a dragster, about 2100 lbs . I was told that this also might contribute to this problem. I get my info from drag racers that have 40 years in the game & I respect their knowledge. Any input or experiences that I can learn / understand whats going on ? His last engine pounded out the clip grooves to about .030-.035 end play. Same basic engine.Same car . Thanks guys
toolmakeron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:14 AM   #2
rickseeman

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: wrist pin clip issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by toolmakeron View Post
On a 632 Chev , 14.5 engine, we found some pieces of wrist pin clips in the oil change. They are 2- .042 spirolocks.(per side) They were not excessively stretched when installed.My first thought was a bad batch of heat treated clips. I was told that because he hit the chip in the water box, this will cause this kind of problem. Engine had about 60- 75 hits on it. He (the driver) also pedals it in the top end. car is a dragster, about 2100 lbs . I was told that this also might contribute to this problem. I get my info from drag racers that have 40 years in the game & I respect their knowledge. Any input or experiences that I can learn / understand whats going on ? His last engine pounded out the clip grooves to about .030-.035 end play. Same basic engine.Same car . Thanks guys
There is something else going on here. Everybody in the country runs double spirolox ( which is way overkill) and doesn't have a problem and he pounds them out of 2 motors in a row? Something is way wrong.
rickseeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:11 PM   #3
toolmakeron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

yea I know somethings very wrong, but the" fun" ? here is how to avoid it next time.The driver won't listen to me & thinks it's the engine builders fault...isn't it always? LOL
Old 03-17-2014, 08:32 PM   #4
pmrphil

Liked 237 Times in 101 Posts

I've seen before when an engine is detonated hard enough it will bow the pins and push hard on the spirolox - overrev will do it also.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:08 AM   #5
richie 2

Liked 147 Times in 67 Posts

spark plugs would show signs of detonation?
richie 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2014, 01:02 AM   #6
toolmakeron

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I haven't seen the plugs, but I was told that it's hard to see signs of detonation from alcohol engines. I don't know this, only going from what I was told. The driver / tuner would see this , I think he would know about this. I keep suspecting , on the chip in the water box. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 03-31-2014, 02:11 AM   #7
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 665 Times in 258 Posts

His alky tune up or his on & off throttle foot could be flooding the engine at some time in the run and never show up on the plugs. I'm still saying you have the combination of an abusive driver and a slightly off Alky tune up. I don't mean off at WOT. I mean off in the "Fuel Curve" when the foot is on and off the throttle.
Old 04-30-2017, 02:12 PM   #8
Marine One

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Have you torn it down yet to inspect for damage?

Is the damage worse on one bank vs the other? Any specific cylinders consistently worse than the others?

On the non failed clips, do they or the piston grooves show any unusual signs of wear, like four corner wear vs even wear, etc?
Old 05-02-2017, 06:39 PM   #9
cjperformance

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi all, 1st post here !
With this wrist pin damage issue, what are the rod pin bushings looking like?
Bush brand/material?
Coated pins?
AND pin/rod clearance?
I have seen where the pin clearance is too small and the pin nips in the rod, then any side movement of the piston is forcing on the pin clip and damages the clip and/or piston.
cjperformance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2017, 10:33 AM   #10
Todd Gross

Liked 52 Times in 23 Posts

I had one customers' engine that I tore down for a freshen up only to find multiple spiro loc failures. To the point of serious cylinder wall and piston damage. After digging for info I found out the previous assembler purchased his spiro locs in bulk from McMaster Carr. Needless to say the quality control ( heat treat ) may not be up to the quality of that of a Performance Piston company. I installed JE locks and 2 seasons later on freshen up, no more failures on a 700" .
I am not suggesting that that toolmakeron's engine has McMaster stuff in it, just sharing an experience*