HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 03-23-2009, 02:41 PM   #1
Oclk Dlux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default OEM electrical tape

Does anyone know what cloth style electrical tape most of the car manufactures use to wrap wire bundles together with? I thought the 3M Temflex 1755 would work, but it only has a temp resist of 80C. Vinyl electrical tape just doen't cut it, so I'm looking for that OEM "holy grail" to give my wiring a look of class. Thanks.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Ken Haase

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: OEM electrical tape

Rich, 80*C = 176*F. That isn't enough to do the job? Don't they usually build in a "safety margin" also?
Ken Haase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 10:17 PM   #3
CycloneFE

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Rich,

My cousin was restoring a 442 and he had the same issue as you. I believe he found some at Year One. He said it was pretty pricey though.

Good Luck.
CycloneFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2009, 01:06 PM   #4
Bubbba

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Im not sure if you have thought of this or not,.............hockey stick tape..........its cloth, comes in many colors, just an idea

Ed M.
H/SA
Bubbba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2009, 01:12 PM   #5
Oclk Dlux

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thumbs up Re: OEM electrical tape

Thanks for the replies.

I just bought a roll of the 3M Temflex 1755 for $2.66 from Platt Electric Supply. I'm a little worried about the 176F temp rating as some of my wire harnesses route nearby my turbo, but I'll give it a shot to see how it holds up.

I found the cloth tape for wire harnesses from Year One, but it's non-adhesive :^(

The tape I'm looking for is like hockey tape, but I also found this tape from Primelec that's rated at 221F:

http://www.primelec.com/Electronic-C...-p2829382.html

At $2.99 a roll, it sounds like a steal. I'll order some also.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:33 AM   #6
rick lester

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Smile Re: OEM electrical tape

I have used the 3M cloth tape on many harnesses I have either restored or modified for cars and trucks . Now they all have been non-power-added motors, but as long as all the wiring is clean and routed correctly, you should not have a problem. I wish I had some pics. to show you but somebody felt my pic. phone and dig. camera was better off with them than me. If I can make a sugg.......pull the harness out of the engine compartment if at all possible, tag all ends to where they go, CLEAN, and I can't stess that part enough, every wire and inspect as you go. Now I used acetone with a rag to clean my harnesses, it worked great for me. Take your time wraping, leave yourself at least a couple of hours to do the job right. Last harness I did took me almost 5 hours. Yes it does seem like alot of time, but it was a custom job with quite a few fixes and and a few that were extended to hide out of site. Some of it was wraped and some was run thru plastic tubing. First show they won first place for engine compartment. Judges commentted on how clean and professional the wiring was on there truck. I'll call them and get some pics. and show them to anybody thats interested, since thats my side job. STOCKERS RULE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Rick.
rick lester is offline   Reply With Quote