HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 05-08-2018, 10:31 AM   #31
Tar Heel

Default Re: Trsiler Tiers OR Light Truck?

Another vote for the new Goodyear Endurance tires. After a blowout last summer on our 24' enclosed trailer we replaced all 4 tires as well as the spare. We don't tow as much as many of you but it's a great looking tire and I love the 80psi part. Our trailer is stored in an enclosed car port and stays out of the sun and extreme temperature changes so I hope to get a long life out of them.

Scott
Old 05-08-2018, 10:43 AM   #32
SSDiv6
VIP Member

Liked 1,457 Times in 543 Posts

I own a 40' TPD trailer with 3 axles and living quarters.
When I replaced the tires, I installed General Grabber HTS 60, LT235/85R16 tires, E load range. The tires are rated at 3,085 lbs load per tire and made in the USA. The trailer rides very smooth with a full load with no problems.

Although trailer tires have stiffer walls, a trailer tire is not designed for turning; just to drive straight. The walls on LT tires are designed for turning, therefore, more compliant on the road.

One of the best LT tires you can run in a trailer is the Michelin XPS Rib Truck radial. The Michelin tire has four heavy steel ply tread and one heavy steel sidewall ply, making it 10 ply rating. Therefore, it flexes less, stronger, less heat, and with the full steel casing is similar to a commercial tire.
SSDiv6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 10:26 AM   #33
Darrel Goheen

Liked 70 Times in 31 Posts

I think it's odd that in 32 posts about trailer tire problems that a Tire Pressure Monitoring System was not mentioned. The majority of tire problems (outside of belt separation) originate because of low tire pressure. If you have any questions about Tire Pressure Monitoring System or interested in purchasing one let me know. I have not blown a tire since I started using a monitoring system about 10 years ago. I've had several tires go bad but because of the monitoring system I knew there was a problem before a blow out.

After spending thousands of dollars on the "best" trailer tires over the last 18 years here is what I currently am doing on my triple axle stacker trailer...I bought the cheapest tires I could find from Discount Tire along with their lifetime warranty. I carry two spares. I believe the warranty was $17.50 per tire so when one goes bad supposedly they'll replace it at no charge. I've only had two go bad since I purchased them and they replaced both under warranty. Time will tell how their warranty is.
Darrel Goheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 04:03 PM   #34
HandOverFist
VIP Member

Liked 33 Times in 16 Posts

My tire pressure monitoring system resides in the driver side door pocket at all times...and it gets used often.
Old 05-09-2018, 06:19 PM   #35
NSSGTO

Liked 27 Times in 18 Posts

A TPM system would be great but I have not found one that is reliable with a 35ft Toter and 28ft trailer.
NSSGTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 12:11 AM   #36
Darrel Goheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSSGTO View Post
A TPM system would be great but I have not found one that is reliable with a 35ft Toter and 28ft trailer.
I sell them and guarantee that it'll work reliably. I have a 37 ft motorhome and 26' trailer and have no problems.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:14 AM   #37
Darrel Goheen

Quote:
Originally Posted by HandOverFist View Post
My tire pressure monitoring system resides in the driver side door pocket at all times...and it gets used often.
How does that work going down the road?
Old 05-10-2018, 07:17 AM   #38
boxmotorsports

Liked 52 Times in 23 Posts

A couple things about trailer tires. Years ago ,the US government put tariffs on all off-shore tires coming into the States. Trailer tires or ST tires were exempt. And Goodyear sent all their molds to China.The Marathon tire, for the past six years or so have been garbage. Any tire with sidewall cracking will blow out. It is the sun's UV rays that dry the sidewalls.Do not use Armorall or any other alcohol-based tire dressings on tires because they also pull moisture from the sidewalls. Lucas has a product that actually has a UV-protectant in the product. Make sure you install high-pressure valve stems (brass stems) so that you can run pressures over 50 pounds safely. C-range tires are 6 plies; D-range tires are 8 plies; and E- are 10 plies. For the cost difference, I would recommend running a 10 ply. I personally run Carlisle ST tires on my enclosed trailer and have had no issues. Carlisle manufactures everything from tractor tires to golf cart tires, and are made in China and are a quality product. The new Goodyears, if they are made in the USA, are probably back to being a good tire.

Doug Box
Maple City Tire
boxmotorsports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #39
Whalen3186

Liked 98 Times in 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by NSSGTO View Post
I've got the Eez RV TPMS and it works great with 39' RV, Trailer Toad and 30' trailer. Monitor sits next to the driver on the RV dash. They do make a signal booster that can be mounted at rear of RV but I haven't hooked it up in the 4 years we've had the system. The TPMS is easily the best money spent in the whole racing operation.
Whalen3186 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2018, 09:28 PM   #40
Ed Wright
Veteran Member

Liked 389 Times in 168 Posts

Been a few years, but the 15" Goodyear trailer tires than came on my 24' ATC kept coming apart. Then, I was told trailer tires are Speed Rated at 65 MPH?? Really?
I put 16" wheels on it, with Michlean 10 ply LT tires. 110 MPH Speed Rating. 65psi.
Does not wallow around like it did in bad cross winds, or meeting 18 wheelers on a 2 lane highway. Tows smoother, don't smell hot rubber now. I use Michlean on almost everything anymore. No Goodyears.
Just my experience.