HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 08-28-2023, 09:58 AM   #11
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts
Default Re: deep staging

Back in the 2000s looked into this for a way to make it fair simply becuase some cars cannot cut a light and to remove the game playing by some who were abusing holding the tree. I have never deep staged.

Called Compulink who told me with some additional programming to Autostart this could be taken care of. Add a D before your dial when race control puts it in with the D the staging lights will allow deep by the full stage light not coming on until the prestage beam closed. Opponent would see the same as if shallow. He did say the cost would have to be covered by the tracks and since need was limited did not think it worth doing. He would never return my calls afterword
To get some racers involved went to at the time the bracket racer favored message board created a post with the above info. Funny thing some of the well known deep stage racers who I raced with drove 10 second cars mostly trashed the concept. I remember one wrote I didn't understand deep. It appears I understood the advantage they were enjoying and did not want to give up..........
A few years ago had to race the local deep hero since I was not a regular other racers told me he would not light a lamp without his opponent fully staged so HIS process would not be interrupted. So the dep stage racer is not taking an advantage??

Later found that Port-a-Tree always had the option to accommodate deep but never used.
Old 08-28-2023, 11:07 AM   #12
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Signman View Post
Back in the 2000s looked into this for a way to make it fair simply becuase some cars cannot cut a light
Ya know, I've gotta call B.S. on this because I've raced some awfully slow cars over the years and unless I've got super-human reflexes, I've never had a problem getting whatever it is I'm driving to get a light dead shallow.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:21 AM   #13
Jody Lang

Liked 81 Times in 25 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post
Ya know, I've gotta call B.S. on this because I've raced some awfully slow cars over the years and unless I've got super-human reflexes, I've never had a problem getting whatever it is I'm driving to get a light dead shallow.
Without changing your spot on the tree? C’mon Billy…
Jody Lang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 11:34 AM   #14
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Hill View Post
What I didn’t like was Deep written on the window, it told the starter don’t do anything until the deep stager was ready to have the tree to start. The racers that did a quick burnout and staged quickly did they do anything wrong? Staging is like playing checkers.
Turn off Autostart and usually not a problem.

Did they do something wrong? Besides acting in an un-sportsman-like manner, I guess not...
Old 08-28-2023, 11:52 AM   #15
Billy Nees
VIP Member

Liked 6,791 Times in 1,524 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jody Lang View Post
Without changing your spot on the tree? C’mon Billy…
Jody, I'm not the natural driver that you are but I've got 3 "spots" that I'm somewhat comfortable with. Between them and making changes to the car, I can get it in the game. My biggest problem (other than old age) is when I start thinking.

World's greatest Under-Achiever!
Billy Nees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 02:25 PM   #16
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,458 Times in 1,958 Posts

Just like checkers they make a move I make a move according to the rules. Most go to the races to win within the rule’s structure. To my knowledge nobody did anything outside the rules.
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2023, 03:20 PM   #17
Mark Yacavone
Veteran Member

Liked 4,453 Times in 1,694 Posts

Just my usual warped sense of thinking, but I contend that if you can't hit .020s or better most of the time, whether deep or shallow , you should probably work on your own program , rather than someone else's.
Old 08-28-2023, 04:00 PM   #18
Larry Hill
Live Reporter

Liked 9,458 Times in 1,958 Posts

No argument here
Larry Hill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 04:52 AM   #19
Casey Miles

Liked 445 Times in 83 Posts

I regularly deep stage my Corvette when bracket racing at my local tracks because the car does leave as hard as a real race car.
Here's away of looking at it in NHRA, why does super street have a .5 tree and all the other super classes have a .4 tree? NHRA took into consideration the minimum weight difference between the classes. So if you take a lower class car, it can't accelerate as fast as a upper class car, so deep staging would be a tool for making a level playing field.
Please no hate mail, it's how we race in south Florida. My buddy won the IHRA World championship in a1986 Cougar with a bone stock 302 that's been in the car for over 15 years, it usually goes 2.25 seconds to the 60' he puts on his window "XXX DEEP".

Casey Miles
248H Stock
Casey Miles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2023, 09:00 AM   #20
Signman

Liked 199 Times in 74 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy Nees View Post

Billy
With much respect: my statement about some cars not being able to hit the tree was what had been told several times, was an addition and a consolation to my effort hoping so those who needed to stage deep and a voice would join in and get it done. As stated the deepers did not like who was making the proposal...............................

BUT there is a fair solution: "Called Compulink who told me with some additional programming to Autostart this could be taken care of. Add a D before your dial when race control puts it in with the D the staging lights will allow deep by the full stage light not coming on until the prestage beam closed. Opponent would see the same as if shallow."

Deep stage racers want the tree held so they can take control of the race. If this was not the case they would have sought a fair solution.