HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 09-13-2013, 02:38 AM   #11
Chipper Chapman

Liked 141 Times in 63 Posts
Default Re: Front End Suspension, NHRA Rule Question

I installed global west kit with factory cross shafts in mine, since i was unsure of the aftermarket shaft, Easy as pie. It also has upper ball joint spacers, aluminum, about 1/2". 350/255 combo leaves pretty hard, But not like the above crazy hp big block bracket car that should stop commenting on the class racers board.

Chris Chapman
Chipper Chapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Andy Friar

Liked 220 Times in 72 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Lee View Post
Then build yourself some needle bearing a-arm bushing replacements!
Jeff,

First and foremost I want to be a race track, running this car with my Dad, Father's Day weekend of 2014. Then run it for the summer and start picking it apart after that. At that point, it's ON! I am lucky to have access to a full CNC machine shop, Solidworks and I can TIG weld. With off site access to laser scanners and feral arms, my only limitation is the time and obtaining actual proven racing knowledge from cats like you on here. Thanks.
Old 09-13-2013, 07:30 AM   #13
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipper Chapman View Post
I installed global west kit with factory cross shafts in mine, since i was unsure of the aftermarket shaft, Easy as pie. It also has upper ball joint spacers, aluminum, about 1/2". 350/255 combo leaves pretty hard, But not like the above crazy hp big block bracket car that should stop commenting on the class racers board.

Chris Chapman
Good to know Chris, thanks. We are have the same combo as you, so hearing it from you validates what I thought about the kits. Global West makes good stuff from what I have seen in person and installed. Were you unsure of the cross being legal, was that the concern? Or strength?
Old 09-13-2013, 08:14 AM   #14
1320racer
VIP Member

Liked 379 Times in 179 Posts

Andy, those cross shafts aren't any better than stock and more important they will do nothing as it relates to making this car work.

That said, there is no one posting on the net that knows better how to make these cars with small tires and stock/aftermarket/bolt on suspension work better than I. Further, there are only 2 other Chevelles and 1 Buick GS in the country last I knew or cared that are on par with my former car and they belong to Kevin Borgstrom '69 Chevelle B/SA , Ralph Landolfi '71 Chevelle B/SA(if he hasn't sold the chevelle yet) and Jason Line '71 Buick C/SA and what do they all have in common...they all run front and rear suspension kits designed, built and sold by Alf Wiebe and only one, the heaviest and least geared had 60 footed 1.28.

IF you want your car to work like mine and theirs, he's the guy you need to speak to. Do it right the first time. There is no bolt on suspension kit/parts on par, no mind better.

Be advised, that even with the best, the end user still needs to tune the suspension and chassis to achieve the results I have which becomes evident once you know that the chevelle in the other lane in my video below also has the same suspension components as my car, going down the track with his front wheels on the ground at 10 seconds in while my car which btw weighed ~ 180 lbs. more IIRC is still carrying the wheels.

Last edited by 1320racer; 09-13-2013 at 08:44 AM.
1320racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 09:48 AM   #15
FLEMING

Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts

I did buy stock upper control arm bushings and machine the "teeth" off the ends of them, then took brake cylinder hone and honed the inside of the bushing so that it slid on and off the shaft easily, then greased them really good, I used the moog kit with the offset upper shafts.. It was really free moving after I tightened everything up and saves you a ton of money.. if you look on alot of the good working stockers alot of them are this way..
FLEMING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:11 AM   #16
Andy Friar

Smile Re: Front End Suspension, NHRA Rule Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
Andy, those cross shafts aren't any better than stock and more important they will do nothing as it relates to making this car work.

That said, there is no one posting on the net that knows better how to make these cars with small tires and stock/aftermarket/bolt on suspension work better than I. Further, there are only 2 other Chevelles and 1 Buick GS in the country last I knew or cared that are on par with my former car and they belong to Kevin Borgstrom '69 Chevelle B/SA , Ralph Landolfi '71 Chevelle B/SA(if he hasn't sold the chevelle yet) and Jason Line '71 Buick C/SA and what do they all have in common...they all run front and rear suspension kits designed, built and sold by Alf Wiebe and only one, the heaviest and least geared had 60 footed 1.28.

IF you want your car to work like mine and theirs, he's the guy you need to speak to. Do it right the first time. There is no bolt on suspension kit/parts on par, no mind better.

Be advised, that even with the best, the end user still needs to tune the suspension and chassis to achieve the results I have which becomes evident once you know that the chevelle in the other lane in my video below also has the same suspension components as my car, going down the track with his front wheels on the ground at 10 seconds in while my car which btw weighed ~ 180 lbs. more IIRC is still carrying the wheels.
Thanks for input. I have only heard good things about his setup and will give it the due diligence in researching it. I plan right now to eventually design and make my own (2, 3 years down the road). Maybe it will work good, maybe it may even work great, but it also may suck eggs, big ones. I thrive on the challenge and I am driven to optimize all of the systems in the race car. I also have no problem admitting that I everyday I am keep learning how much I don't know. My Dad is the engine guy, and he can hold his own, and I am diving into the fabrication side of the deal. I have lots of respect out there walking the walk...and I want to walk that walk too. But I don't want to follow in anyone's footsteps either...
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #17
1320racer
VIP Member

all I'll say is that everything that can be be done, has been done with these near 50 year old cars as the rules stand now. Would love to hear and see how you made out with this car in 3 years. Do come back and show us.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:26 AM   #18
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by FLEMING View Post
I did buy stock upper control arm bushings and machine the "teeth" off the ends of them, then took brake cylinder hone and honed the inside of the bushing so that it slid on and off the shaft easily, then greased them really good, I used the moog kit with the offset upper shafts.. It was really free moving after I tightened everything up and saves you a ton of money.. if you look on alot of the good working stockers alot of them are this way..
Thanks Fleming. I found the 'teeth' you are talking about. (Thanks Google) At the very least I am going to hone fit the parts together. We are going to rip the whole front end of the car in the coming weeks, to put new solid body mounts it, while keeping rubber under the radiator support. Then start the process of building it up from there.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
1320racer
VIP Member

removing the "teeth" aka serrations has been done for at least 40 years. The bushings I referenced do not have serations.

Last edited by 1320racer; 09-13-2013 at 10:30 AM.
Old 09-13-2013, 10:30 AM   #20
Andy Friar

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1320racer View Post
all I'll say is that everything that can be be done, has been done with these near 50 year old cars as the rules stand now. Would love to hear and see how you made out with this car in 3 years. Do come back and show us.
I got that part and it's all good. I have a defect of often trying to re-invent the wheel. Even in the end if my 'wheel' performs the same and cost a lot more than buying it from someone, I can say that I made it, from scratch. I will share any and all that widgets that I come up with as the project progresses.