HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-17-2011, 08:22 PM   #1
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts
Default Tech West Racing Services MSD Upgrade

Tech West out of Huntersville NC claims they have a upgrade for MSD boxes. They list the cost between 65-90 dollars depending on what box they are doing it to. They claim that the engine will make more HP and TQ and even have a dyno graph showing the increases. Has anyone done this and does it really work. Seems to me that if the box and coil as msd makes it is fully igniting the cyl then modifing it to make a hotter/longer spark would not help. I am curious about what you guys think about this. Their website is Techwestracing.com Look under the tab labeled "Upgrades" for what I am writing about here.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM   #2
Alan Roehrich
VIP Member

Liked 991 Times in 258 Posts
Default Re: Tech West Racing Services MSD Upgrade

I'm pretty sure he is a member here now.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:08 PM   #3
eddie c

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

His thread handle is: twrs 2006.
eddie c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
Rob Petrie E395
VIP Member

Liked 219 Times in 79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie c View Post
His thread handle is: twrs 2006.
I started this thread because I did not want to mess up the other thread on plug wires. I did not even know that was him LOL. Hopefully he will see this and explain it better(the box upgrades) like he did over on that thread for plug wires. If he does I have another question. I have read all the stuff on the tech west site about fine wire plugs and i was wondering if there is a chart or something for swithching over from a regular plug to a fine wire plug? (IE Autolite AR3910, AR3911 or AR3923 plugs what are the equilivant plugs only with fine wire in them) And do you sell them. I would like to try that as well but looking around the last couple of nights I have not come up with anything for converting from one to another and still have the same heat range.
Rob Petrie E395 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:14 AM   #5
JCChildress

Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts

We have used him and talked to him several times and he is an extremely nice and knowledgeable fella.
Try looking up Brisk spark plugs. Were getting ready to do a lil testing with them on our roundy round engines.
JCChildress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 10:49 AM   #6
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Liked 664 Times in 258 Posts

My first encounter with Pat was shortly after MSD quit working/ providing us V-6 racers with the modified odd fire box.
Listen to him, he has more than just the box improvement that has worked for me. It was not only with my own special odd fire V-6 box, but the box/system for a well known Comp racer I have helped. One of the "real" advantages was to get consistency of the tune-up from the dyno to the car.
When you know you are getting 1250 HP on the dyno and 1100 from the car it is time to call Pat.
Pat has also helped one of my customers that races boats. I've had the pleasure of talking to Pat for many hours and what he does is not "Black Magic". He applies sound principles of electronics and changes some of the components in the boxes that could have been originally installed as "cost savers".
Old 11-18-2011, 10:55 AM   #7
Reed Granrt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
My first encounter with Pat was shortly after MSD quit working/ providing us V-6 racers with the modified odd fire box.
Listen to him, he has more than just the box improvement that has worked for me. It was not only with my own special odd fire V-6 box, but the box/system for a well known Comp racer I have helped. One of the "real" advantages was to get consistency of the tune-up from the dyno to the car.
When you know you are getting 1250 HP on the dyno and 1100 from the car it is time to call Pat.
Pat has also helped one of my customers that races boats. I've had the pleasure of talking to Pat for many hours and what he does is not "Black Magic". He applies sound principles of electronics and changes some of the components in the boxes that could have been originally installed as "cost savers".

Come on now Adger
I just a box back and my dyno only picked up 2 tengths (.2). I really thought it should have been good for .4 so I talked to them again and he is going to make some more changes. Crap, I luv this stuff. Dont chu
reed
Reed Granrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:00 AM   #8
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Reed,
OH!, you just had one black box get .2 for you.... Then you need 2 boxes for .4.... Simple math!! :~) Seriously.. Yes I do like this.
Old 11-18-2011, 11:06 AM   #9
Adger Smith
VIP Member

Rob,
You have a PM
Old 11-18-2011, 11:58 AM   #10
Reed Granrt

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adger Smith View Post
Reed,
OH!, you just had one black box get .2 for you.... Then you need 2 boxes for .4.... Simple math!! :~) Seriously.. Yes I do like this.
Crap Adger
I did not read the structions. I went back and read them last nite after the 4th beer and it specifically says add one box for every .2 that you want. Duh. So now I gots to ask has any bidy gots any more boxes that I can get cause I want .8. I wonder if you have to stack em or put them side by side. Any help here
reed
Reed Granrt is offline   Reply With Quote