HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 04-08-2010, 11:49 AM   #1
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Golf cart fueling issues

Not the Stock or Superstock tech question, but I am having some fueling problems on my 99 EZ Go gas golf cart. Here's the issue: The cart was running and quit. Upon closer inspection, I noticed the fuel filter was empty and the carb was not getting any fuel. I immediately thought the the pick up tube had become dislodged and had fallen back into the tank (they are known for that). It was set in place, no issues. Next, I replaced the fuel pump with a brand new one. Still no fuel to the carb. All lines have been cleaned and checked. Filter has been checked for flow and flows fine. The golf cart will start with the assistance of ether but will not run long enough to pull any fuel from the tank. Is there a potential vacuum leak that is preventing the cart to pull fuel from the tank into the carb? Suggestions and recommendations appreciated.

Thanks,

Ronnie, Jr.
Ronnie Smith Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
Bill Belden

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default Re: Golf cart fueling issues

Check the vent in the tank or cap, if it's clogged you won't get any fuel
Bill Belden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 12:11 PM   #3
Mark Markow

Liked 9 Times in 3 Posts

most golf carts use a diaphram style fuel pump . be sure you are getting vacume to the new fuel pump.
Old 04-08-2010, 12:21 PM   #4
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Had the same problem with mine last year . Did everything you did plus I put all new hoses on. With the hose that runs from the tank to the filter then to the pump, I made it longer so the filter is in fuel all the time. This worked on mine hope it helps ya..................
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM   #5
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I appreciate the follow up suggestions. Here is what I have done since the posting:

Checked gas cap - gas cap checkball moves free inside the cap - tried to start it again with the cap off - to no avail.

Checked the vacuum line - it pulls vacuum, not sure how much - I do not have a vacuum line pressure gauge. Checked it at the block and at the line before it goes into the fuel pump. Also pulled off the line from the tank to the fuel pump and did not "feel" any vacuum being pulled. Could a new fuel pump diaphram be bad? Changed out with the old fuel pump and could not feel any vacuum being pulled either.

Removed the line from the tank and inserted a hose into the tank through the cap opening bypassing the filter and factory setup going direct to the fuel pump. No help here either. Tried it with both old and new fuel pumps. Even went as far as using the ether to keep the motor running in hopes of pulling fuel into the pump. Still nothing. The line was dry.

Any other suggestions? Hopefully I am overlooking something boneheaded...

Ronnie, Jr
Old 04-08-2010, 02:44 PM   #6
Chris "drooze" Wertman
VIP Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My Harley had the Same issue (harley golf cart that is) and well, the Carb secondary diaphragm had a small series of holes in it.

Stole one of my sons old Jr Carbs. (same type tillston diaphragm) rejetted and no issue. Actually runs like a raped ape now bigger carb an

The harley dosent have a seperate fuel pump (at least mine dosent) but rather a 3 series diaphragm tillston, that well sort of acts as the pump as well.

BUT in my case that was it.

I also got rid of the elbow with the pickup tube at the tank and just ran straight hose in...I like you figured a leak somewhere. But nada.

NOW I did have to prime my system, siphoned the gas through and fitted it to the carb.

20 bucks throw an electric fuel pump on it ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronnie Smith Jr View Post
I appreciate the follow up suggestions. Here is what I have done since the posting:

Checked gas cap - gas cap checkball moves free inside the cap - tried to start it again with the cap off - to no avail.

Checked the vacuum line - it pulls vacuum, not sure how much - I do not have a vacuum line pressure gauge. Checked it at the block and at the line before it goes into the fuel pump. Also pulled off the line from the tank to the fuel pump and did not "feel" any vacuum being pulled. Could a new fuel pump diaphram be bad? Changed out with the old fuel pump and could not feel any vacuum being pulled either.

Removed the line from the tank and inserted a hose into the tank through the cap opening bypassing the filter and factory setup going direct to the fuel pump. No help here either. Tried it with both old and new fuel pumps. Even went as far as using the ether to keep the motor running in hopes of pulling fuel into the pump. Still nothing. The line was dry.

Any other suggestions? Hopefully I am overlooking something boneheaded...

Ronnie, Jr
Chris "Drooze" Wertman 3132 (F/SA 2009 Challenger Drag Pak #24 with a best of 10.59)
Chris "drooze" Wertman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
cad

Liked 72 Times in 40 Posts

Take the carb off and clean the inlet in the carb?
My 99 Club Car clogged up over the winter a couple years ago.

Those fuel pumps are the same as we run on the junior dragsters..even the ones that run 7.90...they rarely quit.

And dont hesitate to use this forum for golf cart information. It's by far the most informative:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-ezgo/

Last edited by cad; 04-08-2010 at 02:59 PM.
cad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #8
Bob Verwold

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I know this sounds dumb but you are using the choke aren't ya..................Just went and tried mine and had to crank and crank but it's been sitting since September.
Bob Verwold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 07:20 PM   #9
Ronnie Smith Jr

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The day is over now with rain coming down hard. Here is some additional steps I took. Hopefully, this issue will help fellow racers if they find themselves having a similar issue.

Anyway, I spoke with a golf cart repair guy and he seems to think that the system is vapor locked - so to speak. He suggested to remove the hose from the carb side and crank the motor. He said it may take a couple of three times for it to unlock. After two attempts, it did not work. I'm done with it til at least Monday if not Wednesday. I'm glad I did not have any sledge hammers within reach, too

My next step will be to prime the fuel line to the pump and carb.

Bob - No dumb questions - but yes I was using the choke.

CAD - Thanks for the info. I will take a look at the site.

Drooze - Haven't taken a close look at the carb. Not sure if it is a Tillotson or not.

I'll post an update once I get it figured out.

Thanks for the support!!

Ronnie, Jr.
Old 04-08-2010, 07:26 PM   #10
Rod Greene

Liked 203 Times in 72 Posts

My EZGO cart sat for 6 months. I had the same problem it wouldn't pick up the fuel. I pressured the fuel tank with a little air with the gas line loose. When I had fuel to the filter I hooked it back up and it started and ran fine. Hope this helps.
Rod