HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 07-09-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
GTO/GN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Help with ladder bar adjustments

When I had my Firebird backhalfed, they installed a ladder bar/coil over setup. This is how I was told to set it up. Take something that weights the same as the driver..( me) and put it in the drivers seat... Then take the bolt out of the front left side ladder bar and adjust it so the bolt slips through with no resistance. Then go to the passenger side remove the front bolt and adjust the bar so the hole in the bar is about 3/4 the diameter of the hole higher than the hole in the mount. Pull the bar down and install bolt.. Sounded to easy ... but it worked the car would leave straight and hard. He told me that was a base line for setting it up , but I never changed it.
GTO/GN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #12
Dick Butler
VIP Member

Liked 32 Times in 19 Posts

Mike, Glad that you have had such good luck with your ladder bars. Some settings are just "trouble free"
Good Luck.
Dick Butler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:07 PM   #13
John Mason

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Talking Re: Help with ladder bar adjustments

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO/GN View Post
When I had my Firebird backhalfed, they installed a ladder bar/coil over setup. This is how I was told to set it up. Take something that weights the same as the driver..( me) and put it in the drivers seat... Then take the bolt out of the front left side ladder bar and adjust it so the bolt slips through with no resistance. Then go to the passenger side remove the front bolt and adjust the bar so the hole in the bar is about 3/4 the diameter of the hole higher than the hole in the mount. Pull the bar down and install bolt.. Sounded to easy ... but it worked the car would leave straight and hard. He told me that was a base line for setting it up , but I never changed it.
FWIT, a rather well known chassis builder showed me a trick like above BUT he had me adjust the RIGHT side for the bolt to slip thru and LOWER the left side 3/4 of the hole then jack UP the bar to install the bolt. He pointed out it was the same net preload, just much easier to jack the left bar up rather than pull the right bar down.
The car showed the same wheel weights and left the same either way but it is only a mid 1.40 60' car.
Old 07-12-2009, 08:06 PM   #14
GTO/GN

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mason View Post
FWIT, a rather well known chassis builder showed me a trick like above BUT he had me adjust the RIGHT side for the bolt to slip thru and LOWER the left side 3/4 of the hole then jack UP the bar to install the bolt. He pointed out it was the same net preload, just much easier to jack the left bar up rather than pull the right bar down.
The car showed the same wheel weights and left the same either way but it is only a mid 1.40 60' car.
Yeah I guess the end result would be the same...I never ever thought of that,, but since the way I outlined it was the way I was told.. I just did it.. Not knowing any different...But it wasn't hard to pull the bar down, maybe because of the length of bar the leverage helped.
GTO/GN is offline   Reply With Quote