HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 11-19-2008, 10:25 PM   #21
40Coupe

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Alf Wiebe A body rear control arms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Abbazia View Post
Looks like the green weenie could use alfs front end kit .
What does the kit consist of, is it readily available and how much is it?
40Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2008, 12:29 AM   #22
Joe Abbazia

Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts

ball joints custom,tie bars and bull nose afcos.
Joe Abbazia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2008, 10:00 PM   #23
Greg Reimer 7376
VIP Member

Liked 644 Times in 205 Posts
Cool Re: Alf Wiebe A body rear control arms

Well, the rule book for 2008 says,"Rear trailing arms may be replaced with NHRA accepted OEM type aftermarket units.Aftermarket lower unit must be non-adjustable and have bushed ends(no heims).Aftermarket upper unit may be adjustable and use heim ends instead of bushings." I guess the purpose in that is to prevent even the appearance of an alteration in the wheelbase of the car.The Alf Wiebe set up allows for centering the rear end housing, and adjusting the differential pinion shaft angles. It also allows for suspension preload up to a point. Another thing,how many 64-72 cars of any make all have a square frame after this much use and years of abuse? Drag racing isn't exactly easy on things.Tony Janes had a discussion with some tech people and apparantly, an official word is forthcoming, probably by the start of next season.Hopefully,unanimous interpretation of acceptance of what constitutes compliance will be the result.
Greg Reimer 7376 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2008, 11:53 PM   #24
Sean Kennedy

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via AIM to Sean Kennedy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reimer 7376 View Post
Well, the rule book for 2008 says,"Rear trailing arms may be replaced with NHRA accepted OEM type aftermarket units.Aftermarket lower unit must be non-adjustable and have bushed ends(no heims).Aftermarket upper unit may be adjustable and use heim ends instead of bushings." I guess the purpose in that is to prevent even the appearance of an alteration in the wheelbase of the car.The Alf Wiebe set up allows for centering the rear end housing, and adjusting the differential pinion shaft angles. It also allows for suspension preload up to a point. Another thing,how many 64-72 cars of any make all have a square frame after this much use and years of abuse? Drag racing isn't exactly easy on things.Tony Janes had a discussion with some tech people and apparantly, an official word is forthcoming, probably by the start of next season.Hopefully,unanimous interpretation of acceptance of what constitutes compliance will be the result.
As long as they are going to be consistent...

But I'd be pissed if I owned the Wiebe system and they ended up making it illegal.

Please keep us up to date on this, I am going from a powerglide to a th-200 this year and want to do some suspension work to keep up with the harder launches.

Looks like i'll be ordering a roll bar for HRpartsnstuff...
Sean Kennedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:54 PM   #25
72Malibu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Abbazia View Post
ball joints custom,tie bars and bull nose afcos.
Are they tall ball joints? What are tie bars? I agree that it needs the bull nose afcos, 1925lbs crashing back down on my KONI's aint cuttin it.
72Malibu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 02:47 AM   #26
Rick Kagawa

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post

72 malibu that is one bad street car. It is still not a stocker. The A body is one of the toughest stocker to run for two reasons, one is the rear suspension and the other is that the motors are some ot the most powerful in stock. Traction is the issue with 9 inch tires. The 1970 454 is so powerful, I elected to stay with a L78 402 in my stocker.

Alf builds one system that works with the high power A bodies front and rear suspension. It really works. The A body twist is eliminated. The cars hook in most car washes. His front end kit makes the car faster. On the launch, the front tires don't look like a duck and scrub off speed when they land. An A body has the upper arms tilted backwards for anti dive. The front is up in the air at the top end catching air. His system takes out the anti dive and increases the aero dynamics. When I changed to his new system last year, I gained 2.5 miles per hour in the traps.

I have run a rear Weibe system since I started running my A body 6 years ago. The only reason to not buy one is that you want to have the pride that I designed my own system or I don't have the money to buy a complete system. I just figured how many years can I race? I want my car to run. I don't need to reinvent the wheel. He builds a proven system.

If you ever get to spend time with him, he is as straight a person that you will find. He will help you at his own expense. What a great guy.

Rick Kagawa
708 C/SA
http://www.dragracecentral.com/DRCPh...r=100#indextop
Rick Kagawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 03:10 AM   #27
72Malibu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks Rick. It appears that I still have some work to do on the front suspension.
Old 12-21-2008, 04:03 AM   #28
will prater

Liked 7 Times in 4 Posts

I saw this car run at Mokan. Impressive. How big is that motor?
will prater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2008, 09:22 AM   #29
72Malibu

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Thanks...Its 505 cubes, 10.5-1 compression, dual plane intake, 1000hp carb.
Old 12-28-2008, 07:32 PM   #30
Todd Geisler

Liked 345 Times in 149 Posts

I still can't figure out how NHRA ever approved the Wiebe suspension system for Stock Eliminator.

I've got the rule book here and it clearly states the lower trailing arms must be non-adjustable and have bushed ends, no heims. Upper is allowed to be adjustable and have heim ends, but not the lowers.

The Wiebe lowers have heims and are adjustable making them illegal the way I read the rules.

Also, the rules state that the upper rear housing attachment point may be relocated, but it doesn't not state you can on the lowers (Alf system drops the lower front bolt below the frame with a bracket), clearly a grey area in the rules.
Todd Geisler is offline   Reply With Quote