HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Stock and Super Stock Tech

Old 06-22-2012, 08:39 AM   #121
larrylomascolo

Liked 64 Times in 28 Posts
Default Re: Help!! Engine Miss

ben,has the thought of putting engine back on dyno crossed you mind,you have done everything else,its a pain in the *** but you gotta be gettin super frustrated at this point
larrylomascolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:56 AM   #122
Sean Marconette

Liked 158 Times in 55 Posts

Here is a thought,
Is your distributor advance locked out? If so, with the distributor cap removed can you rotate the rotor at all? Here at the Tulsa divisional yesterday, I had a horrible miss on Q1. Checked wiring, valve lash, and for some reason I checked the rotor, it was moving around, my poor attempt to lock it down from a couple of years ago had failed. Good thing JB weld was invented. That fixed the miss for Q2. Good luck
Sean
Sean Marconette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #123
Tim Monaghan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Ben, after reading thru the multi threads and dates, bless you , you are a better man than I am. I think I would have taken my own life by now ( or at least the cars) . I'm VERY impressed with the amount of support the community has offered to you. After being around racers for 40 years, I still find it rewarding. Thanks everyone Tim
Old 06-24-2012, 08:36 AM   #124
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Gary,

Thank you for the link. That's good info. I'm curious if anyone knows how much vacuum to expect out of a BB Chevy stocker cam?

Dartman,

Thanks for your input. I've completely disassembled and checked the fuel system, with the exception of pulling the pickup out of the tank, but I can see the pickup and screen very well by looking down into the fuel tank with the cap off. I believe that the fuel system is completely in tact and functioning as it should.

Larry,

Yes, that has crossed my mind, and continues to be an option, but I've got a few more things to play with yet.

Sean,

The distributor rotor seems to be good. It doesn't move when I try to rotate it. Thanks.

Tim,

At times I think that my patience may be a detriment to figuring this out. Regardless, 123 posts, and the ideas keep coming. I can't express enough how much I appreciate the support and encouragement I've received in trying to figure out this problem. While I'm continuing to look at the little things, I'm gearing up to test the car at full throttle to get a better feel for what I'm working with (or against).

-Ben
Ben Kallies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 05:46 PM   #125
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Well, this is coming about 2 months too late, but I’m proud to say that I finally got this problem licked. As a last ditch effort, I decided to buy an adapter, bolted on a 780 Holley, and presto!......the car ran great. Next step, called Dean Oliver. He sent me the same spare Quadrajet carb that he sent me last year. Bolted it on, and again, the car ran great. Those of you who have been following this thread closely are probably wondering what changed between this year and last, right? Well, last year, I never actually took the car out and drove it with the carb that Deano had sent.(insert video of hand smacking forehead). Instead, I relied on my perception of how the car felt when revving it up. If you go back and read, I noted that the car seemed to run better, but for some reason, I decided that the problem still existed. You can chalk that one up to inexperience.

So, I sent the carb back to Deano, and he took care of the rest. THANKS DEAN!

I've had the car out three times now since July, and I must say that it sure feels good to finally be out racing again after 5 years.

A final huge THANK YOU to everyone who offered up their time, experience, ideas, and support. And thank you to Ken Miele for making this forum available to rookies like me who can use a helping hand from time to time. God willing, I look forward to meeting some of you at the races in the coming years.

Best Regards,

Ben Kallies
B/S 3869
Old 10-01-2012, 06:29 PM   #126
jim powers

Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Thumbs up Re: Help!! Engine Miss

Deano is the best ....period
jim powers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 09:52 AM   #127
Mike Taylor 3601
VIP Member

Liked 116 Times in 48 Posts

Glad you got it fixed, have fun
Mike Taylor 3601
Mike Taylor 3601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 11:01 AM   #128
Glenn Hayes

Liked 18 Times in 12 Posts

Ben,
Great videos you put up, what the E.T. and MPH of the runs?
Old 10-05-2012, 04:34 AM   #129
Ben Kallies

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Glenn,

Those runs were 10.90's @ 123-124. Theoretically, the chassis/clutch setup has another 2-3 tenths in it somewhere. From there, I need to find more hp. All in good time.

-Ben