HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > .90 Heads Up Class Racing
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 PM   #1
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Pro Mod accident at INDY

Is there footage of Engle's accident available?
Old 09-02-2008, 09:08 AM   #2
B CHILLIK

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Re: Pro Mod accident at INDY

ive got it locked into my head,i saw the whole thing happen....man was it ugly
B CHILLIK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 09:17 AM   #3
Mark Schmidt

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I heard it was a C-6 injury...probably permanent paralysis
Old 09-02-2008, 10:29 AM   #4
SSTRACER323

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to SSTRACER323

Saturday's action at U.S. Nationals marred by Engel's accident

(8-30-2008)
INDIANAPOLIS, IN – Four pairs into Saturday evening's third round of professional qualifying for the JEGS ProMod Challenge, this year's 54th annual Mac Tools U.S. Nationals at O'Reilly Raceway Park at Indianapolis took a decidedly nasty turn when Bristol winner Steve Engel lost control of his '63 Diamond Heavy Haul Corvette and impacted the left-side retaining wall at a high rate of speed.

Engel was reportedly alert and conscious when he was extracted from the wreckage and airlifted to a local hospital. The wreck caused so much damage to the retaining wall that the remainder of the day's racing action was called off.

By rule, the drivers that didn't get a chance to make a pass during the session will not get a chance to make up the missed run. Josh Hernandez, who moved into the qualifying lead earlier in the day with a 6.010 at 240.98 mph in his Team Rage Camaro, ended the day on top.

"My mind is on Steve Engel and his family," Hernandez said. "Racing doesn't mean much when one of your buddies goes through something like that. We're all praying he's going to be okay."

Hernandez and several other racers picked up considerably in Saturday's first session of time trials where the bump spot dropped by more than three tenths of a second.

"I think we all kind of went up there (Friday) with a conservative mindset just to get a feel for the racetrack," said Hernandez, the defending series champion. "Once we got an idea of what it would hold we were able to tune from there and that's why you saw so many people step it up in Round 2.

"Our car responded very well to the changes we made and we ran about what we expected in that session. I think we would have seen a bunch of guys go into the fives tonight but it just wasn't meant to be."

There is one more round of Pro Mod qualifying scheduled for 2 p.m. The first round of eliminations is slated to begin at 5:10 p.m.
SSTRACER323 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2008, 07:48 PM   #5
SlickVic

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

From another forum:

Here's an update from a local forum.

As of what i know from talking to family he was awake and talking when they pulled him from the car. The initial impacts what broke his neck and being upside down right afterword possibly saved his life. I was told he was wearing the HANS device, but theres been lots of rumor that he did not so idk for sure.

Stevie, Steves son i talked to had said he could move his arms but did not have feeling in his hands or legs. Hes going to be going though many surgeries thoughout the week. Its still to early though to really know how much damage has been done.

I pray for the best of recovery

If i am aloud to get some pics of the car i will, its down at the shop...

As for the track, its realy unknown right now. Id almost have to say if worse come to worse during his recovery, its very likely he will never race again, and that also means its very likely he will not build his track. But its WAY to early to start speculating things. The focus is on his recovery
Old 09-04-2008, 05:32 PM   #6
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

FYI :
http://www.competitionplus.com/index...=7692&Itemid=6
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 07:59 PM   #7
Rich Biebel
VIP Member

Liked 537 Times in 211 Posts

A year and a half ago my adult son was in a motor vehicle accident. He initially thought he was not hurt and went home. He rolled his pickup truck near his home. The next day he went to the ER with pain in his neck and numbness in his left arm and hand. He had fractured vertabrae at C-5 and C-6. He was immediately immobilized and awaited surgery for a few days, He had NO spinal cord damage. He was given steroids while he awaited the surgery to repair the fractures.....Bottom line is he recovered fully and was sent home within a few days. He wore a neck brace for a few weeks but recovered fully and has only minor issues from his injury.......I hope Mr Engel has the same results and the neurosurgeons today do these types of miracles every day. The fact that they said he has no spinal cord damage is a huge plus.....I hope he fully recovers with time.......
Rich Biebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2008, 08:08 PM   #8
Tim H
VIP Member

Liked 478 Times in 155 Posts

Our thoughts are with him every day. Hoping for a complete recovery.
Tim H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:00 PM   #9
Ruth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

A sad day:

"(9-14-08) It is with profound sadness that we confirm the passing of Steve Engel at 5pm ET on Sunday the 14th of September. Please Keep the Engel family, Tanya, Stevie, and Michael in your prayers during this difficult time. A announcement of arrangements will be posted at a later date. And let us not forget all of Steve and Tanya's friends, employees, and family in this heartbreaking time."

http://www.promodzone.com/

R.I. P.
Ruth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2008, 12:13 PM   #10
SSTRACER323

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Send a message via Yahoo to SSTRACER323

Sad news for sure.. Rest easy Steve..
SSTRACER323 is offline   Reply With Quote