HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Class Racer Forums > Nostalgia Stock and Super Stock
Register Photo Gallery FAQ Community Calendar

Old 11-15-2009, 08:33 PM   #241
jack arnew

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default Re: Original hemi dart information

Paul you might be corect, but I can;t recal any 426HEMI on the front. When Sam and I picked up the Cuda Ronnie had a match race with the dragon lady at a track in Va.We went there that day, Sam paid Buddy and we loaded the car and took the whole rig (car, cewcab truck, and trailer) back to Sam's car lot in Md. Might add the car had aluminum heads on it at the time and was in match race trim.ET;s that day were in the 10.4's-10.5's.Sam drove it the rest of the yeart till he put me in the seat later that year.At the end of the season Sam sold the cuda to me along with rig and spare parts.The next March I took the car to Cicle County,after we had found a bad ground cable in the trunk, and made three 10.2's, with no outher changes to the car. Bet Ronnie had been chaseing that problem for some time!!! It was dumb luck on my part that we found it.NOTE, on the trunk lid was (THE BEAP BEAP BEAT GOES ON) .
jack arnew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:07 AM   #242
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts

Jack,
It always perplexed me, to find out what that little scrol-design was on the
front-center grille (upper portion). I'll post the site where I found it, so you can check it out too. All the Super Stockers at York had "X's" on the window, instead of the SS/B. Jenkins ran his 68" SS/C Camaro with a
tunnel-ram in the X/SS "Heads-Up" match. I imagine all Hemi cars ran in match race trim, aluminum heads and roller cams for the Super Stock
Magazine sponsored event. Two weeks later they were at Indy, for the
Nationals. Ground wire,,,,,,,,sounds positively negative.......................
If you got the car in match-race trim, that means you had to be at Dover Drag Strip, Wingdale, NY in 1970, in Pro/Stock. I have to see if I have
results of the meet. Rich Mirarcki/Bill Blandings "MIMI" 427 Camaro was doing a number on all the Mopars back then at Dover. Hope I can find that you outran him.
Paul
Paul Ceasrine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 05:16 AM   #243
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Mark J.

Here goes. Check THE H.A.M.B. site, go to the NHRA Junior Stock
forum. Page 55, post #1094. Photo of the 69' NHRA Winternationals,
(February 69'), staging lane shot of all the stockers. Upper right, 68'
Hemi Super Stock (SS/BA) Cuda. NHRA #719. Center-stripe hood only,
kind of like a Sox & Martin paint scheme. Can't see the name of the
driver on the passengers side door. But the name above "Plymouth" looks like Bender or Senker or Benker????
Paul
Old 11-16-2009, 03:22 PM   #244
Mopar Steve

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Ceasrine View Post
Mark J.

Here goes. Check THE H.A.M.B. site, go to the NHRA Junior Stock
forum. Page 55, post #1094. Photo of the 69' NHRA Winternationals,
(February 69'), staging lane shot of all the stockers. Upper right, 68'
Hemi Super Stock (SS/BA) Cuda. NHRA #719. Center-stripe hood only,
kind of like a Sox & Martin paint scheme. Can't see the name of the
driver on the passengers side door. But the name above "Plymouth" looks like Bender or Senker or Benker????
Paul
It says "Denver" and unless my eyes are deceiving me, the driver's name is "Judy Lilly."
Mopar Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #245
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Mopar Steve,
Thanks for clearing that up. I was so used to Judy Lilly's paint scheme, that I was not sure of that one. The name on the door looks like
Judy Lilly. And the car, does have a Sox & Martin paint scheme. Though only FRAM, SW and HOOKER emblems on front fender. I wasn't aware that she got a Hemi Cuda so early. I'm also guessing, probably
Denver Plymouth Dealers Association (the part we cannot see).
Does anyone have an accurate guess, to how many Cuda's, the
Burlington, NC team of Sox & Martin put out there. Not all could have been original BO29 cars. Must have been in the early Christmas present shipment of cars in September 68.
Paul
Old 11-16-2009, 07:46 PM   #246
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

Jack,,,,
If you go to the site www.thevintageracer.com go to York US30 Dragway,
the Jere Stahl collection of photo's. The 69' X/SS meet, with your
Cuda there (soon to be yours). Several pictures with the little scroll-design on the front grille. In a close-up, I got "426 Hemi" in gold lettering.
The letters don't appear much larger than 2". Also, check out the monster tunnel-ram on Jenkins 68' Camaro, with a 427 (Not sure if it was a ZL-1
All-Aluminum engine in there) in several of the photo's. The Holley carbs look like thirsty 770-CFM units...
Paul
Old 11-17-2009, 02:27 AM   #247
Mopar Steve

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

Quote:
Mopar Steve,
Thanks for clearing that up. I was so used to Judy Lilly's paint scheme, that I was not sure of that one. The name on the door looks like
Judy Lilly. And the car, does have a Sox & Martin paint scheme. Though only FRAM, SW and HOOKER emblems on front fender. I wasn't aware that she got a Hemi Cuda so early. I'm also guessing, probably
Denver Plymouth Dealers Association (the part we cannot see).
Does anyone have an accurate guess, to how many Cuda's, the
Burlington, NC team of Sox & Martin put out there. Not all could have been original BO29 cars. Must have been in the early Christmas present shipment of cars in September 68.
Paul
I think it was said by either Ronnie or Buddy that they had over a dozen '68(9?) Barracudas pass through their hands. Mark J would probably know more.

Question about the early Christmas present, Sept. of '68 would have been a '69 car. Do you mean '67?
Mopar Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:46 AM   #248
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
Jack,,,,
If you go to the site www.thevintageracer.com go to York US30 Dragway,
the Jere Stahl collection of photo's. The 69' X/SS meet, with your
Cuda there (soon to be yours). Several pictures with the little scroll-design on the front grille. In a close-up, I got "426 Hemi" in gold lettering.
The letters don't appear much larger than 2". Also, check out the monster tunnel-ram on Jenkins 68' Camaro, with a 427 (Not sure if it was a ZL-1
All-Aluminum engine in there) in several of the photo's. The Holley carbs look like thirsty 770-CFM units...
Paul
Bill "Grumpy" Jenkins ran the 430 inch "CAN AM" Alum.block in his X/SS and later Pro stock 68 Camaro. Larger bore shorter stroke (higher RPM potential) than the regular ZL-1 block but they were rare and hard to get. He had connections yet only had a couple of blocks on hand during the 1970 season. .
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:45 PM   #249
Paul Ceasrine
VIP Member

X-Tech Man,
I am not a Chevy guy, but that 68' Camaro of Jenkins does impress me.
Now for a mind-bender. At the 69' Super/Stock Magazine Nationals at York (8/10/69), Charlie Castaldo won the S/S event with his SS/BA
Hemi Dart, yet Bill Jenkins won the All-Enduro Super Stock Eliminator
with his 69' ZL-1 All-Aluminum engine Camaro...Does that sound correct??
What the hell was the All-Enduro Eliminator?? Pro/Stock type Heads-Up
racing?
Mopar Steve, It was either September or October 68'. Right after the end of the 68' production year, and beginning of the 69' production run. I have to research Sox & Martin shop photo's. Photo's taken inside the garage and out through the garage door. (4) new Cuda's on a transporter.
(2) 68's with the round fender side-lights, and (2) with the reactangle-shaped side lights.
paul
Old 11-17-2009, 04:05 PM   #250
X-TECH MAN
Banned

Liked 235 Times in 110 Posts

Quote:
X-Tech Man,
I am not a Chevy guy, but that 68' Camaro of Jenkins does impress me.
Now for a mind-bender. At the 69' Super/Stock Magazine Nationals at York (8/10/69), Charlie Castaldo won the S/S event with his SS/BA
Hemi Dart, yet Bill Jenkins won the All-Enduro Super Stock Eliminator
with his 69' ZL-1 All-Aluminum engine Camaro...Does that sound correct??
What the hell was the All-Enduro Eliminator?? Pro/Stock type Heads-Up
racing?
Mopar Steve, It was either September or October 68'. Right after the end of the 68' production year, and beginning of the 69' production run. I have to research Sox & Martin shop photo's. Photo's taken inside the garage and out through the garage door. (4) new Cuda's on a transporter.
(2) 68's with the round fender side-lights, and (2) with the reactangle-shaped side lights.
paul
Not quite,,,,Grump won with his 68 Camaro. I believe Grump red lighted on purpose in one of the finals of the "ENDURO" to allow the Schallcross Bros. to advance in points with their 66 Nova as it had a Jenkins motor in it and Grump already had enough points to have the overall win. I had to edit this slightly from my post while I was at work as I was thinking about it on the way home from work and its a little off what you asked but I think this is how it went . Jenkins 1969 ZL-1 was still a Super Stock C and C automatic car in 1969. Strickler was driving his own SS/D (iron block 425 HP) and tried to run SS/DA at the world finals of 1969 with his engine in Al Olsters "One Step Beyond". Both Strickler and Jenkins were not allowed to run the auto trans at the world finals because they hadnt run the auto combo during the year at any of the points races so Grumpy switched back to a 4 speed but couldnt cut the record in SS/C to qualify.. Strickler just sat and watched. The 69 ZL-1 Camaro of Grumpys was made into a Pro stocker later on and was driven by Dave Strickler in 1970 part time. Gezzzzz Im old and I have to think about this stuff for awhile to try to get it correct. It was 40 years ago.....LOL.

Last edited by X-TECH MAN; 11-17-2009 at 05:39 PM.
X-TECH MAN is offline   Reply With Quote