HOME FORUM RULES CONTACT

Go Back   CLASS RACER FORUM > Stock/Super Stock Associations > Southern Stock and Super Stock Association

Old 10-24-2014, 10:29 AM   #1
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Liked 685 Times in 131 Posts
Send a message via AIM to Jim Wahl Send a message via Yahoo to Jim Wahl
Question Night of Fire Race Info

I was contacted a while ago by Wade Rich at OSW about having a S/SS combo race at the Night of Fire on the 15th of November. The race is now on! Entry fee will be $75 car and driver. Crew is $25. Payout will be $1000 to win and paying back 8 places. All Southern Stock/Super Stock Association rules and regulations apply. Scales will be open and used at this race for cars with minimum weights. First round will be random pairing with the bye (if needed) decided by the draw. Front to rear or side by side will be decided by a coin flip at the head of staging before first round is run but after all participants are in line. Second round will be laddered as by NHRA/IHRA rules.This race is open to all legal NHRA, IHRA and NMCA and NSS cars. You do not have to be an SSSSA member to race this event. There will be no SSSSA points earned at this race.
When I get the full schedule and payout I will post more info. I know this is short notice but we really should try and support this race. Ozzy and Rich have been very good to us and if this works out it could lead to better and more races for us.
The Night of Fire is a really nice and entertaining event and we will be in front of more spectators than we have ever had before. We have a chance to show a lot of people what Stock and Super Stock racing is all about! There will be jet dragsters, wheel standers, jet trucks and also a bracket race that we will be able to enter if you feel like entering. Should be a fun time for the whole family as well as a great payout for not much entry fee!
I will post the full payout and gate opening time asap. Please try to attend. Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
2019 Baby Gators Stock Champion
2009 D2 National Open Stock Champion
1981 D2 West Palm Beach LDRS SS Runner Up
Past President, Southern Stock / Super Stock Association.
SSSSA Forum Moderator

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 10-30-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Jim Wahl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2014, 11:45 PM   #2
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Thumbs up Re: Night of Fire Race Info

Please read above for new info! Jim

Jim Wahl....NHRA #2239 S/SS - IHRA # 8 Stock, D2 Stock Champion (forever I guess)
SSSSA Forum Moderator
Old 11-01-2014, 01:32 AM   #3
Carl Weisinger

Liked 13 Times in 6 Posts
Smile Re: Night of Fire Race Info

Brucey/Jim

Glad this race got worked out.

First of all I hope everyone will make a maximum effort to be at the Night of Fire. Perhaps we could get a area for stock and super stock to pit so we can all go up together and all come back to the same area. Makes it hard for us old guys to miss a round if we look around and see everyone else gone to the lanes!

One thing I would like for you to reconsider is this coin flipping, side by side or front to back stuff. Why complicate things? Is there some kind of problem that warrants this type of extra confusion? After everyone gets in the lanes, presumably to be lined up in the lane they would like to run in then we are going to flip a coin? And if the coin happens to flip in favor of running front to back, then I suppose there will have to be some conversation about who wants which lane. If the racers both want the same lane then more coin flipping? Then if the coin flip goes the wrong way for some there may need to be dial-in changes. And, weighing the cars? Going to weigh them at tech? Or after each qualifying and elimination round? And, if someone is light after a run who gets notified? What will happen then? Edit the qualifying sheet? Edit the round results to put someone back in?

Traditionally there has been a lot of entries at this event which is good. But, if we can streamline our deal it will perhaps make it more enjoyable for us and others too.

My suggestion is to run the first TWO rounds random and side by side pairings. Then go to a ladder or not for the semi's. Forget the scales. We can have all that kind of fun at Divisionals, Nationals and Opens.

Just a suggestion.

Thanks,
Carl
Carl Weisinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2014, 07:36 PM   #4
Jim Woods

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts
Smile Re: Night of Fire Race Info

Heading back to fla for this race then back north for a couple more weeks before coming back for good. I dont have a car ready so if anyone has an extra car or needs a driver for the night of fire race let me know.
Jim
Old 11-04-2014, 12:05 AM   #5
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Talking Re: Night of Fire Race Info

1. We will try to pit all of the S/SS car together. Everyone needs to help with this.
2. We will run the first round as random pairing. The reason is it is very difficult to put NHRA, IHRA, and NMCA cars on a ladder using the qualifying method. Second round will be laddered.
3. We will coin toss first round to see if we go side to side or front to rear. You will have plenty of time to make dial in and lane adjustments before you run. We have done this now for the last two years without any problems after the first race where we tried it. The problem it alleviates is drivers sitting back and waiting for that first round "duck" and picking who you race. That was starting to be a problem.
4. The scales will be open and drivers will be able to weigh their cars if they like. I never said we would be weighing all cars every round! As per the rules, if you are ever checked during competition and are not legal, as anywhere else you race class, you are out. You do NOT have to go across the scales unless you are told to.

Carl, my dear old friend, if you don't want flip a coin to determine what lane you run, I'm sure we can arrange to have someone do it for you. Or better yet, I will volunteer for that duty. There will be enough time to change your dial in also if you like. We will wait for you!

Most of these methods have been used with success for several years with our Association and there is no reason they can not work at Night of Fire. This is the reason we have been asked to officiate this race. We normally have a very smooth, trouble free race that both track operators and racers have come to appreciate.

We have all wanted to do this race for several years and I am sure everyone will have a fun and smooth race. Please, when you are called to the lanes, do not mess around. Get moving toward the staging lanes ASAP! Thanks. Jim

SSSSA Forum Moderator

Last edited by Jim Wahl; 11-04-2014 at 12:16 AM.
Old 11-04-2014, 02:59 PM   #6
Denny Steward

Liked 112 Times in 20 Posts

As Jim said we need to support this race. Who all is going, I for one am going who else???
Old 11-04-2014, 08:22 PM   #7
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Exclamation Re: Night of Fire Race Info

Gates open at 8am. Two qualifying runs and then first round at 1pm. Winner and Runner Up of the S/SS race will be allowed to buy in to the second round of the bracket race if they want to.

Jim Woods said he and Connie will be in charge of a BBQ to be held for S/SS racers but need volunteers for cooking etc. Get with Jim if you can help. A covered dish would be appreciated. Jim

SSSSA Forum Moderator
Old 11-04-2014, 10:31 PM   #8
BackMotor

Liked 10 Times in 1 Post
Default Re: Night of Fire Race Info

Talked to my brother Chris, says he is coming
Old 11-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #9
Jim Woods

Liked 32 Times in 14 Posts

We will be in need of a grill or two and a couple of deep fryers if anyone has one. I am driving my semi and connie will be bringing her little fiero so we wont have room to bring much with us. Any help would be appreciated.Fried and smoked chicken along with baked ham will be the main food.Does anyone have tables? Lets make this a great event to close out 2015.
Old 11-05-2014, 01:24 PM   #10
Jim Wahl
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Woods View Post
We will be in need of a grill or two and a couple of deep fryers if anyone has one. I am driving my semi and connie will be bringing her little fiero so we wont have room to bring much with us. Any help would be appreciated.Fried and smoked chicken along with baked ham will be the main food.Does anyone have tables? Lets make this a great event to close out 2015.
I will have two tables. No grille though. Jim

SSSSA Forum Moderator